homeward bound

Guest tayella

Guest proud2beaussie
The confusion here is that in Australia you are only called an Engineer if you've done a four year degree in engineering. An Engineer is a professional level job only in Aus, whereas in the UK it can also refer to trades level jobs.

I remember an episode of a UK comedy (Open All Hours) when Gladys Emmanuel talked about "Ringing for the Engineer" to fix her washing machine.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fatpom

I have autocad 2d city and guilds, TRA liked the certs, but every firm I showed to said "whats these"?

The back of the tickets are blank.

Should I let the kids have them to draw on?

COMPLETE CONTRADICTIONS between TRA, Tafe, and Employers.

Employers don't know the quals from foreign countries and there's no good reason they should ever bother to find out.

Its easy to get your quals officially equated to Australia standards. That's your job not the TRA's They will give you an ARTC if you qualify for one but getting your TAFE quals recognised is your responsibility. :smile:

Its not just migrants who have got caught up in the relatively new requirement for people working with "green house gases" to need a licence.

For instance I was tasked with looking into this a few years ago to see the effect on the business at that time.

The upshot was that some of our most experienced people were going to be required to go back to college before they could get their licence to continue doing their current job.

One bloke who would be recognised as one of Australia's foremost experts on the practical side of domestic refridgeration systems had to go back to college to get an AQF3.

Whatever you might think its been a good thing to start controlling better the storage, use and disposal of "green house gases". If that means further training for for some, well so be it. :smile:

Yes agree with what you are saying but just wish you were made aware of all this before you got here, and the thing that gets me most is the ARTC - but its too long a story to go into again now.

You should really do all this training before you come here to Australia to ensure that you have your licences and are ready to work, or that when you arrive their is some sort of inhouse training. It is also a waste of the government money when they are having to pay migrants benefits because they are having to take a junior wage!

I support on going training, but don't think you should have to re-train from scratch, and hopefully we won't have too, will just have to wait and see what the TAFE people say now.

I have a friend whose husband is in mechanical services, and for 4 weeks he has been trying to find out whom he gets his licences from, just to be lead around and around in circles - it's not good

as I say Onwards and Upwards:cool:

Guest anson aussies

well said kdal,

Fat Pom, if you think your right mate then how come we dont get asked to take tests in UK prior to leaving in exchange for ozzy certs?

Heres why:-

Were not mug enough to retake tests in what we already know.

Its not in the gvt interest to make us do it in th UK, much more financial benefits for them here.

If you so strongly agree in this then why isnt it part of the Migration Rule, in which case it should be part of TRA?

Actually as the pair of em are at number ten at the moment why dont they deal with it face to face

Why?

Because Moet De Chandon and Prawn Sarnies are much more important.

Guest fatpom

You should really do all this training before you come here to Australia to ensure that you have your licences and are ready to work, or that when you arrive their is some sort of inhouse training.

That's an interesting comment? But who would you expect to provide and pay for this training? I doubt any UK colleges would take any interest unless it was viable and the UK gov would never contribute of course... that wouldn't be in their interests at all. The Aussie fed gov supplys visa's not trade licences and even if it did we generally have a user pays system of education.

Guest anson aussies

Nige your right mate but if you think there are engineering jobs please tell me.

Ill do it for free to prove you wrong mate.

I drove most days dishing out resumes in a 2 hour run up the bruce.

Had no luck m8

Guest proud2beaussie
Nige your right mate but if you think there are engineering jobs please tell me.

Ill do it for free to prove you wrong mate.

I drove most days dishing out resumes in a 2 hour run up the bruce.

Had no luck m8

I didn't mention Engineering in my post.in fact what I said was-

there are some skill shortages in Australia but they are deffo not in fields like Carpentry,Plumbing,Metal Machining (anson's trade?)

Guest fatpom
well said kdal,

Fat Pom, if you think your right mate then how come we dont get asked to take tests in UK prior to leaving in exchange for ozzy certs?

Its your responsibilty to get your certs recognised. No-one is going to do that for you. I got mine officially recognised and it wasn't hard to do at that time, probably just as easy or easier nowadays.

Guest anson aussies
That's an interesting comment? But who would you expect to provide and pay for this training? I doubt any UK colleges would take any interest unless it was viable and the UK gov would never contribute of course... that wouldn't be in their interests at all. The Aussie fed gov supplys visa's not trade licences and even if it did we generally have a user pays system of education.

then why aint we told this b4 hand?

false economy money making scam in my book m8.

in the paperwork we got we were never told to pay thousands more to upgrade ya stripes on arrival.

You know what fatpom I seem to feel more stronger about this than most, been here just over the year and Ive tried hard, 22 years on the tools, never laid off, bet youve been here donkeys so were not sailing on the same ship here are we?

Although no-one fully backs my opinions here I have had great support, however its not my thread so im off.

Ive not swiped oz or anyone on this post apart from the gvt but feel that you dont really have a clue what im on about

Bye all

Guest proud2beaussie
you did - im a toolmaker

Read the post again,

I said-"

there are some skill shortages in Australia but they are deffo not in fields like Carpentry,Plumbing,Metal Machining (anson's trade?)

I said that there were NOT SHORTAGES IN THAT FIELD.

Which means that there were not skill shortages-meaning plenty of people with those skills-not a shortage of skills-I did not say that there was not a shortage of jobs,maybe that's where you got confused.

Guest proud2beaussie

anson aussies,

If you read Post 73 again you will see that basically I am on your side,I suggest you read the post in the way that it was intended you should read it,as being supportive of you,instead of trying to prove a point.

Guest fatpom
im a toolmaker

What's your problem?? :biglaugh:

You don't need a licence to perform your trade? You don't even need an ARTC.

The onus is on the potential employer to ensure you are competent to perform your duties. So because you don't work directly for the general public there's no need for a licence system or even an ARTC.

Guest anson aussies

Nige the way its written its 50/50

Sorry geez if i say sorry again ill look a right twonk.

Good job we dont post for beer.

Id be dry by now.

Im done with this thread now m8 as the "by the book" guys are ready to preach their "im great" twaddle and this was not about "well if you were bright you should and shouldnt have done this or that".

If I was loaded then maybe.

All my point ever was if your gonna sell the Austraia Story "at least tell it all WARTS AND ALL"

Some just dont understand.

Cya mate

Fatpom, once again we will have to beg to differ, I know you , you have an answer for everything :biggrin:

Ok whilst in England we would have still been working, therefore still having an income, therefore we could have paid for a course ourselves !! OK maybe we should have put money aside for a course here, but didnt know we were going to have to do one - of course due to this thread and various other threads on this forum recently some people are more prepared - so the thread is a good as hopefully it will help others and they will put a little more money to one side to tie them over.

Now even the ARTC said that we were unfortunate as we got caught up in the middle of some crucial changes. Lots of people and even our migration agent admitted that they didnt realise the licences were now going to be so hard to get.

I hope this thread hasnt gone too far off track for the original OP

Regards:cool:

Guest anson aussies

Fatpom, once again we will have to beg to differ, I know you , you have an answer for everything :biggrin:

Ok whilst in England we would have still been working, therefore still having an income, therefore we could have paid for a course ourselves !! OK maybe we should have put money aside for a course here, but didnt know we were going to have to do one - of course due to this thread and various other threads on this forum recently some people are more prepared - so the thread is a good as hopefully it will help others and they will put a little more money to one side to tie them over.

Now even the ARTC said that we were unfortunate as we got caught up in the middle of some crucial changes. Lots of people and even our migration agent admitted that they didnt realise the licences were now going to be so hard to get.

I hope this thread hasnt gone too far off track for the original OP

Regards:cool:

Well said Kdal

Fatpom this aint about what you are or are not supposed to do or know, its about the bum deal we have all been sold.

Please try and understand?

Guest fatpom
Im also an aircon service engineer

So you've done two four year apprenticeships, one for each trade?

Then it's relatively easy for you. You can do your toolmaking trade which isn't bad money whilst doing some TAFE to get your artick?

Nige the way its written its 50/50

Sorry geez if i say sorry again ill look a right twonk.

Good job we dont post for beer.

Id be dry by now.

Im done with this thread now m8 as the "by the book" guys are ready to preach their "im great" twaddle and this was not about "well if you were bright you should and shouldnt have done this or that".

If I was loaded then maybe.

All my point ever was if your gonna sell the Austraia Story "at least tell it all WARTS AND ALL"

Some just dont understand.

Cya mate

Unfortunately some people don't get what we are trying to say, but we understand each other and I think Nigel also understands.

It's hard here and so frustrating when you can't find work but know you can do the job, so no wonder you feel how you do. Especially like us when you do love Australia the country. Yes we made some jokes along the way abt the aussie government but that was to try and make light of our situation and if people can't see that well thats their problem.

You have made good contributions to this thread, don't let anyone else make you feel otherwise :cool:

Guest anson aussies

As Kdal said you have an answer for everything.

No i never did 2 apprentiships but was lucky to work in the toolshop at an aircon firm and did well there too.

As you obviously know you can only come here on one trade tra wise

Why am I telling you this anyway your only gonna twist that as well.

Whats the point?

Guest fatpom
Well said Kdal

Fatpom this aint about what you are or are not supposed to do or know, its about the bum deal we have all been sold.

Please try and understand?

I fully admit it truly amazes me when people say they didn't know. I came here before the internet age (just). It was quite clear then on the info pack that a positive assessment for the purposes of migration didn't automatically mean being given a licence to do your trade. It stated that you may have to do a trade test on arrival and maybe further study and that this could take some months.

Guest anson aussies

Fatpom why dont you become a politition as your the most cleverest person ive ever met, with all the answers.

Whos gonna win the world cup next year?

Come on you know cos you read about it befor the internet age?

Ill put 50 grand on it and share it with you.

If youve nowt to say then tuck in its 9:30

Goodbye

I fully admit it truly amazes me when people say they didn't know. I came here before the internet age (just). It was quite clear then on the info pack that a positive assessment for the purposes of migration didn't automatically mean being given a licence to do your trade. It stated that you may have to do a trade test on arrival and maybe further study and that this could take some months.

To be honest I did think it gave you a provisional licence and then you had to get the full-licence when you came here - our agent also assumed this.

Then when applying for the licence we see that it was the same place as the TRA, so you would think that if you applied to them and they had already passed you they would pass you again, as you send of all the same stuff as you do when you pass the TRA -

Anyway as said before if anything hopefully this has highlighted the small print to others :yes:

Guest proud2beaussie

As a side point to this discussion I would be interested to find out what the process is for Australian qualified people to have their skills recognised in the UK?

I am a fully qualified chef and also qualified travel agent ,I will try and do some research tomorrow to find out how I go about getting my qualifications recognised when I move to the UK in May.

I will report back here-I wonder if it will be as hard as it is for people moving to Australia?

Archived