homeward bound

Guest tayella

Guest tayella

I have read what people have said on here we as a family came to oz because we thought there was a shortage of skilled workers how wrong was we people that i talk to at the school there husbands are ozzies cant find work getting laid off and what does the Australia gov do advertise over seas for people to come over because they need that skill that's crap i no people who came over and have not found work not the want of trying they seem to get work for 3 months then get laid of some people are lucky and do get a job but there sure is not a shortage of workers here we have spent a lot of money coming here we are going home. we ave had an adventure so try to look on the positive i just wish the Australian gov would be a bit more truthful i am just so glad we never bought a house then we would be stuck no job cant pay bills or mortgage so we have been lucky

I know people say England have no jobs and its bad there but at least i no what i have in store for me this time.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest22466

Tayella Thank you for been truthful .....maybe not what people want to hear but im sure people will take on board your experience. Wishing you all the best back home with your family and friends....

Guest JoanneHattersley

Australia works for some and doesnt work for others. nothing is wrong with that!

I think it is incredibly brave for someone to "up everything" and come out here to give it a go! Even braver to admit they dont like it + go back!

you`ll be right x

Guest nikkichap

I know what you mean about the job situation. We have been here 6 months. We came over on a sponsored visa via my OH's skills. We didn't sell our house in the UK but have rented it out. We said we would give it 2 years and then decide. We thought we would spend more time together as a family and that we would have a great life. But.... OH's company have no new work coming in and although they haven't made him redundant yet they are sending him away to work from week to week. It's Sunday and I dropped him off at the airport at 10am and won't see him until Friday night! So much for spending quality family time together! This is going to be on going. I am returning to the UK in May and OH will join me in a few months. I feel sorry for people that can't find a job here and have given up a life in the UK only to replace it with an uncertain future. Good luck to everyone who is struggling.

Guest tayella

I never said i didnt like it .

I just thought there would be more jobs because there was a skill shortge .

We have sent resume to woolworths coles been to gympie all the way down to brisbane giving cv to companys.

Im at tafe doing childcare i notice on the skills in damand list there is child care cordinator on there at my tafe there is lots of ozzeis doing there diploma to do that job

why do they need that on the skills list i like australia but having lots of sun is not going to pay my bills and food and school fees eg books pencils and so on.

Guest guest22466

Nikkichap I' m so sorry to hear that things have not worked out for you here due to the work situation it seems a few people are having the same problems in this area at the moment. Thank you for posting as it is important that your experience can be shared with others. Take care and all the best.

Guest 1957alan

Yes tayella i agree with all of what you have said--- i know quite a few peaple leaving the promised land, after finding the promise has been broken------ it all seems like a bit of a con.-------all the best to you guys and good luck.

Even before the downturn I never understood why we were supposed to be so short of people. I understood that the country and bush areas were short of workers and the mines as not a lot of Aussies want to live in those areas when they have been brought up in the cities. However there are plenty of Aussies around for work in the more desirable areas of Australia. Same with the teachers understand we need maths and science teachers as not a popular choice at uni. Also the money is not very good for teachers in comparison to other graduate jobs. However plenty of teachers in the city areas as we are churning them out of uni now. A lot of women teach because it suits their lifestyle bringing up a family.

My friend and her husband went to live in QLD over ten years ago and her husband is a civil engineer and he has had quite a few jobs, jobs just die and he has had to find a new one and it was always hard in construction unless people ran their own business.

Of course that last government used migration to increase the building trade the more people we brought in the more houses we built and as we no longer manufacture much building became our new industry.

Guest anson aussies

Its a shame this thread appears to have died on its arse really as its very interesting.

No-one likes a sad story here but in truth "**** does happen to some of us" so there appears to be a decline of honesty these days.

Theres no such thing as "live the dream" and "paradise" so be carefull what you wish for.

Home is where the Heart is!!!!!!

Nuff said

Guest proud2beaussie
Its a shame this thread appears to have died on its arse really as its very interesting.

No-one likes a sad story here but in truth "**** does happen to some of us" so there appears to be a decline of honesty these days.

Theres no such thing as "live the dream" and "paradise" so be carefull what you wish for.

Home is where the Heart is!!!!!!

Nuff said

There is no "decline of honesty" from my point of view,there have been plenty of posts on PIO in recent weeks from people who have had difficulty here in Australia,

you only need to read posts from people like Kazmatt and chippy2 recently to see that things don't always go according to plan.

there have been stories about people having difficulty with some bad bosses,problems coping with the climate etc,so there is never any shortage of stories of people who are not "living the dream" but there are also inspirational stories from people who have found their little piece of paradise and are happy with their new life.

PIO is a forum,warts and all for anyone who is either contemplating migrating to Australia or who has actually done it,sometimes there are bad stories but there are also plenty of good ones,.

Guest anson aussies

I know that mate but all im getting at is the the Oz Gvt ARE creaming us big time with the skill shortage chestnut and draining a lot of people of their money for a better life. I love it here but where are all the jobs as promised? I aint knocking anyone and good luck to the successful ones but being honest mate dont you think were all being taken for a ride for a splash of "paradise"?

Dont take me the wrong way but i got laid off twice, both exactly 3 months and due a contract then I get told "see ya later".

The pattens there and im not alone.

I never saw these threads you mentioned but will read them now and thanks for enlightening me about them.

It just makes me upset that they advertise the shortage list and still show the fancy tv shows at home, its a false economy and needs addressing.

Families futures are dependent on such decisions and needs looking at.

thank you for you reply, very interesting

Guest welcometomyworld
There is no "decline of honesty" from my point of view,there have been plenty of posts on PIO in recent weeks from people who have had difficulty here in Australia,

you only need to read posts from people like Kazmatt and chippy2 recently to see that things don't always go according to plan.

there have been stories about people having difficulty with some bad bosses,problems coping with the climate etc,so there is never any shortage of stories of people who are not "living the dream" but there are also inspirational stories from people who have found their little piece of paradise and are happy with their new life.

PIO is a forum,warts and all for anyone who is either contemplating migrating to Australia or who has actually done it,sometimes there are bad stories but there are also plenty of good ones,.

I couldnt agree more, my sentiments entirely:yes:

Guest welcometomyworld
I know that mate but all im getting at is the the Oz Gvt ARE creaming us big time with the skill shortage chestnut and draining a lot of people of their money for a better life. I love it here but where are all the jobs as promised? I aint knocking anyone and good luck to the successful ones but being honest mate dont you think were all being taken for a ride for a splash of "paradise"?

Dont take me the wrong way but i got laid off twice, both exactly 3 months and due a contract then I get told "see ya later".

The pattens there and im not alone.

I never saw these threads you mentioned but will read them now and thanks for enlightening me about them.

It just makes me upset that they advertise the shortage list and still show the fancy tv shows at home, its a false economy and needs addressing.

Families futures are dependent on such decisions and needs looking at.

thank you for you reply, very interesting

I am so sorry you have expeienced such a bad time, but let me add that Australians have also had it bad as well. Unfortunately the various industries have this incessant greed to employ cheaper labour from India/ Phillipines etc and I am sure they have their own set of problems because their feeling of "self worth" must be zero as well. To come over as immigrants to the promsied land which costs a fortune must be devastating to many people and there can be no dispute about that and therefore forums like this are valuable in informing people who are considering coming over here to think, do their research well and not cut off their ties from their homeland until this recession is over. Personally if you are single and fancy free then what have you to loose but no way would I bring a family over here right now until you have been guaranteed a steady job, house etc

Guest anson aussies

Nice reply however your comments are mis-representing.

Heres why:-

I aint had "such a bad time" as I love it here, just been unlucky thats all.

Did I ever say that?

No!

You say my "self worth must be zero", shallow considering you dont know me!

We researched since June 2006 - moved here June 2008 but you did not know that.

For someone whos "self worth is zero" I left my money at home and never committed fully to be sure I got a steady job bla bla bla.

Sold house at right time just b4 the global balls up.

Had nothing to lose so came here.

The ozzies dont like the R word because as they say its "all good" and wont happen here, wrong as it has happened.

Mate I came here with a family and maybe it was the wrong time but reading above what did we have to lose?

The self worth zeros smarter than the average bear after all - confident? - no just honest.

Hope this makes sence but cheers for replying

Guest welcometomyworld
Nice reply however your comments are mis-representing.

Heres why:-

I aint had "such a bad time" as I love it here, just been unlucky thats all.

Did I ever say that?

No!

You say my "self worth must be zero", shallow considering you dont know me!

We researched since June 2006 - moved here June 2008 but you did not know that.

For someone whos "self worth is zero" I left my money at home and never committed fully to be sure I got a steady job bla bla bla.

Sold house at right time just b4 the global balls up.

Had nothing to lose so came here.

The ozzies dont like the R word because as they say its "all good" and wont happen here, wrong as it has happened.

Mate I came here with a family and maybe it was the wrong time but reading above what did we have to lose?

The self worth zeros smarter than the average bear after all - confident? - no just honest.

Hope this makes sence but cheers for replying

Hi there, I think you totally misunderstood my comments and I am sorry you did. I was referring to immigrant cheap labour i.e. Phillipines/India, not Poms!. I was saying their "sense of worth must be zero " when they are working next to people earning a larger salary with more rights!. I agree we dont like the recession word , I guess its frightening for us and I am not adverse to being critical about our immigration procedures. It is totally unfair that we have encouraged people to sell up and bring over their "lock stock and barrel" and disrupt family life. I was actually sympathising with you! I am not fully conversant with all the different visas that are available, and I am sure there are many Australians that would find it horrific if the boot was on the other foot! I know that thousands of Australians have gone back home due to the recession in the UK and it is an unenviable position to be in on both sides of the coin. We work with many english people and all we can do is give them as much love and support as possible and wait it out for better days to come. No way was I being shallow mate far from it, sorry you misunderstood me

Guest ashmalog

i too am worried about not getting jobs. i am in health so don't think there is much of a worry but OH is a barber giving up a uk business so i have worries about him getting work as i don't want to work full time!! selfish i know lol!!!

Guest welcometomyworld

i too am worried about not getting jobs. i am in health so don't think there is much of a worry but OH is a barber giving up a uk business so i have worries about him getting work as i don't want to work full time!! selfish i know lol!!!
I can understand that, in the health service you wont have a problem at all, not sure about barbers jobs but have a few leads you can follow up if you want to pm me

Guest anson aussies

Apologies to you too mate.

The way your comments were worded looked a bit off but reading it again I take your point.

This aint even my thread so I think ill just look in and keep me north shut in future.

Nice meeting you tho.

All the best mate

Guest proud2beaussie
Apologies to you too mate.

The way your comments were worded looked a bit off but reading it again I take your point.

This aint even my thread so I think ill just look in and keep me north shut in future.

Nice meeting you tho.

All the best mate

I think it would be a shame if you didn't share your opinions with us mate,just because there are sometimes breakdowns in communication between members doesn't mean we aren't interested in your thoughts,so please keep posting,it's always good to read stuff from people like you.

cheers

Guest anson aussies

cheers Nige.

Love the country and the people, just weary of the Government skills shortage policy.

Just tell the truth thats all.

Maybe close the boarders for now just till the big R goes away, thatl save loads of grief for new migrants that cant get work like myself?

When it picks up i may return.

Its cost me a bomb to get here plus furniture and I have to pay it all over again to go home.

Its lose lose at the moment for loads of us but some do get lucky.

Im no Del Boy but if i keep wasting money "This time next year ill be skint" lol

Guest Mark and Sharon

This has been intresting reading,it`s reasuring to know that we`re not the only one`s who are struggling out here.We came here for a better life for us as a family and if we had come here 2 years ago we would have got that but i`m unskilled and it seem`s not needed in this country and i desperatley want to work,before we came out i said i don`t care what i do i`d even sweep the streets if i had to well i can`t even get a job doing that.Having never been out of work in my life i never realised how much i need to go to work not just for the money but the feeling of doing my bit (if that makes sense).I`m lucky that i took a career break from my job in England and i think in a couple of week`s we`re be booking the flight`s home,as if said before right place wrong time.

Hi All, Yes there is no doubt abt the fact that work here in Australia is hard to come particularly for the tradies. We ourselves wrote a very strong letter to the powers to be when we first arrived here, but having said that I think the right move has now been made now that they have stopped for now tradies coming here (sorry to those that are applying no offence meant), there is not enough work here and something had to give. Hopefully when things pick back up perhaps the doors can open again:yes:. If the government had not made such a decision you would all come here thinking you had come here under false pretences like we did !! So something has now been done.

Good luck all that are returning and to those that have been fortunate enough to find work and live their dream ! Wishing all the best to the OP

Archived