Post GCSE Teenager question

Guest willyeckerslike

Guest willyeckerslike

We are hoping to migrate shortly after our son finishes his GCSE's. If we were to stay here he would go to 6th Form college to do A levels.

How would this work out in Australia? He is an October birthday so will be touching 17. Would he be expected to go to a college immediately in September or would he be behind or in front of his peers. I know the school year is different over there and that children start school at 5 instead of 4 but am still a tad confused. (doesn't take much!!)

Also, is there a legal requirement to put your children in school straight away? Our daughter will be 13 and have just finished year 8. We were hoping to have 3 months or so travelling around first before we settle. I look forward to your answers.

Andrea

xx

Guest tinbasher

Hi

The issue of Year 11 and 12, seems to be different depending on which state you are going to be living in. I know in SA that young adults do years 11 and 12 at school or there are a few colleges that only have years 10-12, but on the whole they stay at school. As for you daughter we did the same thing and did not have any problems. Enjoy the time together as a family.:jiggy:

Mrs TinB

Guest The.Colebecks
We are hoping to migrate shortly after our son finishes his GCSE's. If we were to stay here he would go to 6th Form college to do A levels.

How would this work out in Australia? He is an October birthday so will be touching 17. Would he be expected to go to a college immediately in September or would he be behind or in front of his peers. I know the school year is different over there and that children start school at 5 instead of 4 but am still a tad confused. (doesn't take much!!)

Also, is there a legal requirement to put your children in school straight away? Our daughter will be 13 and have just finished year 8. We were hoping to have 3 months or so travelling around first before we settle. I look forward to your answers.

Andrea

xx

Like you we are planning the move to conincide with our son finishing his GCSEs next year - he's a December birthday.

I asked the same questions about schooling a few weeks ago and had these answers. Not sure where you're headed - some information is specific to Western Aus ....

They go into year 12 in the year they turn 17.

They will not be able to go into further education at uni until they've done their TEE at the end of year 12. If they are not academically inclined, year 12 is not mandatory, they can leave school and work, do nothing, go to tafe, do an apprenticeship, or whatever they want (probably subject to parental approval).

--------------------------------------------------------------

If his 16th birthday is in Dec 2008, then he will complete Y11 in 2008 & will be one of the youngest in his school year. His classmates will all have been born in 1992.

This year (2007) he will be in Y10. It's the final year of mandatory schooling (until the rules change to make kids stay on longer). Y10 prepares the kids for the ordeal that is Years 11 & 12 & TEE.

Y11 & Y12 are not mandatory, but must be completed in order to obtain a High School Graduation Certificate.

University & TAFE higher education courses are not available to students who have not done some form of TEE.

For people who drop out of school after Y10 for whatever reasons, there is a Tuart College in Tuart Hill, which runs TEE courses for those who would like to try again.

-----------------------------------

16-year-olds (year 11) must be at school, studying full-time at TAFE, in a traineeship, an apprenticeship or employed in a job with genuine career prospects. The school leaving age is going to be raised to 17 in 2008.

This is the information on the Education Department website.

----------------------------------------------------

Interesting info regarding having their GCSEs reconginised in Oz -

My son is sixteen and passed GCSEs in the UK. He now has been recognised as having completed Year 11. He has a certificate from the Curriculum Council to this effect. So if your son can sit his GCSEs then it is well worthwhile.

You will need to take his certificates to the Curriculum Council Office in Perth and pay a small fee. They will take copies and you will receive the official letter in the post.

You might be able to do it while in the UK but it only took a few days from here.

Hope the above is useful,

Karen x

Hi Karen

What a brilliant answer.

We also have a daughter sitting gcse's this yr and would like to be in Oz towards the end of yr ready for Jan 2008.

I had found out that she will go into yr12 and not yr11 as I thought she might, but could never have explained it so well.

Good news about the gcse recognition, do you know if they do that in other states?

Thanks again

Sam :v_SPIN:

Guest The.Colebecks

I'm not 100% sure if the following are the correct places to actually get the certificate of recognistion for GCSEs but they are the education/curriculum departments for the other Oz states and should be able to advise you further:-

Queensland Curriculum Council

Level 27 MLC Centre 239 George Street

Brisbane Queensland Australia

PO Box 317, Brisbane Albert Street Q 4002

ph. (07) 3237 0794 fax (07) 3237 1285

e-mail: qsccinquiries@qed.qld.gov.au

http://www.uq.edu.au/qscc/qscc.html

The Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority

41 St Andrews Place,

East Melbourne,

Victoria, 3002

Australia

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/index.html

Tasmania Education Department

116 Bathurst Street

Hobart Tasmania 7000

GPO Box 169

Hobart Tas 7001

1300 135 513

(03) 6231 1576

ServiceCentre@education.tas.gov.au

www.education.tas.gov.au

South Australia Education Dept

Education Centre (State Office)

31 Flinders Street

Adelaide 5000

Postal Address

GPO Box 1152

Adelaide 5001

General Enquiries

(08) 8226 1000

Free call 1800 088 158

Email: decscustomers@saugov.sa.gov.au

Northern Territory Board of Studies

Mitchell Centre

55-59 Mitchell Street

Darwin NT 0800

Postal address:

GPO Box 4821, Darwin NT 0801

08 8999 5767

08 8999 5795

New South Wales Dept of Education

Postal Address: GPO Box 33, Sydney NSW 2001 PHONE: 02 9561 8000

Karen x

Guest The.Colebecks

Ooopppsss! :goofy: That all came out in very small print - here it is again .....

Australian Capital Territory

Department of Education and Training

186 Reed Street

Greenway ACT 2900

AUSTRALIA

Postal Address:

ACT Department of Education and Training

PO Box 1584

Tuggeranong ACT 2901

AUSTRALIA

http://www.decs.act.gov.au/

Western Australia Curriculum Council

27 Walters Drive

Osborne Park

Western Australia 6017

Phone: +61 8 9273 6300

Fax: +61 8 9273 6301

General Email info@curriculum.wa.edu.au

http://www.curriculum.wa.edu.au/

Queensland Curriculum Council

Level 27 MLC Centre 239 George Street

Brisbane Queensland Australia

PO Box 317, Brisbane Albert Street Q 4002

ph. (07) 3237 0794 fax (07) 3237 1285

e-mail: qsccinquiries@qed.qld.gov.au

http://www.uq.edu.au/qscc/qscc.html

The Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority

41 St Andrews Place,

East Melbourne,

Victoria, 3002

Australia

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/index.html

Tasmania Education Department

116 Bathurst Street

Hobart Tasmania 7000

GPO Box 169

Hobart Tas 7001

1300 135 513

( 03 ) 6231 1576

ServiceCentre@education.tas.gov.au

www.education.tas.gov.au

South Australia Education Dept

Education Centre (State Office)

31 Flinders Street

Adelaide 5000

Postal Address

GPO Box 1152

Adelaide 5001

General Enquiries

( 08 ) 8226 1000

Free call 1800 088 158

Email: decscustomers@saugov.sa.gov.au

Northern Territory Board of Studies

Mitchell Centre

55-59 Mitchell Street

Darwin NT 0800

Postal address:

GPO Box 4821, Darwin NT 0801

08 8999 5767

08 8999 5795

New South Wales Dept of Education

Postal Address: GPO Box 33, Sydney NSW 2001 PHONE: 02 9561 8000

Curriculum/Education Dept Links - Statewide

Guest willyeckerslike

Very interesting hmmmmmmm! Am I right in thinking.........

My eldest daughter, a July birthday, currently one of the youngest in her school year would actually complete year 8 over here, turn 13 but would have go back to year 7 for a term in Oz. In January of the following year she would begin year 8 but be one of the oldest in her class. She would still only have 3 years to do before her High School certificate, as they do it the end of year 10, whereas they do GCSE's at the end of year 11 here. So she would only do an extra 5 months in school. Or would she have to do the whole of year 7?

My youngest daughter, an April birthday, will start Kindy the January after she turns 4. So she will do a year of pre school here then nothing for 6 months, then effectively do another year of pre school.

This is working out quite well for us. I don't want the children to miss out on their education but we did want to do some travelling before we settled. An education in itself I think. My son could complete his GCSE's, my daughters year 8 and pre school. We could have the summer hols here in the UK giving my hubby and I some time to get organised without the pressures of getting kids to school etc, then move over late August, early September. Hopefully we could have 3 months travelling around with the children then find somewhere to live and enrol them in school for January.

Has anyone else done this, took their kids out of school for a few months once they got over there. Are we likely to get into trouble for it.

Thnaks for all your replies

Andrea

xx

PS...I think we have settled on WA as a permanent base but that could change in the blink of an eye when we get there

Guest willyeckerslike

My eldest daughter, a July birthday, currently one of the youngest in her school year would actually complete year 8 over here, turn 13 but would have go back to year 7 for a term in Oz. In January of the following year she would begin year 8 but be one of the oldest in her class. She would still only have 3 years to do before her High School certificate, as they do it the end of year 10, whereas they do GCSE's at the end of year 11 here. So she would only do an extra 5 months in school. Or would she have to do the whole of years 7 and 8 again?

My youngest daughter, an April birthday, will start Kindy the January after she turns 4. So she will do a year of pre school here then nothing for 6 months, then effectively do another year of pre school.

This is working out quite well for us. I don't want the children to miss out on their education but we did want to do some travelling before we settled. An education in itself I think. My son could complete his GCSE's, my daughters year 8 and pre school. We could finish work the same time as the kids finish school and have the summer hols here in the UK giving my hubby and I some time to get organised without the pressures of getting kids to school etc, then move over late August, early September. Hopefully we could have 3 months travelling around Oz with the children then find somewhere to live on a more permanent basis, hopefully all our furniture should have arrived by then, and enrol them in school for January.

Has anyone else done this, took their kids out of school for a few months once they got over there. Are we likely to get into trouble for it.

Thnaks for all your replies

Andrea

xx

PS...I think we have settled on WA as a permanent base but that could change in the blink of an eye when we get there

Guest The.Colebecks

Useful school starting age calculator - even though the data range on the calculator is 1995-2005 its easy to work out other dates - for example our son was born 1991 so he'll go into year 12 in the year he turns 17 which is next year - I was obviously a teenage mother:wink: :laugh: !!!!

Karen x

Guest BullcreekBob

My eldest daughter, a July birthday, currently one of the youngest in her school year would actually complete year 8 over here, turn 13 but would have go back to year 7 for a term in Oz. In January of the following year she would begin year 8 but be one of the oldest in her class. She would still only have 3 years to do before her High School certificate, as they do it the end of year 10, whereas they do GCSE's at the end of year 11 here. So she would only do an extra 5 months in school. Or would she have to do the whole of years 7 and 8 again?

G'day

My answer is accurate for WA, it may or may not be the case in other states.

From what I understand of what you have said your child child was born ??/07/94 therefore in 2007 she would be a West Australian yr 8 student. i.e. you do year 8 in the year in which you turn 13, yr 9 in the year you turn 14,... year 12 in the year you turn 17. She will fininish school and take her TEE exams (University entrance - A level equivalent) during October of year 12 at which point she will be 17yrs 3 or 4 months old. Having a birthday in July she will be neither the youngest in her class nor the oldest but near the middle age wise.

Cheers

Bob in Bull Creek

Guest cosworth123

hi everyone on my dads account as i havent got my own,

i just want to get some people advice on what to do i droped out of school early as we have moved to melbourne so didnt take my gcse so i dotn have any grades/qaulifications im not sure what to do !!! do you think i will need grades to help me get a job in a office etc as i no i could get a job in the building game tomorow but i dont really like to messy and dirty .so i was thinking do i go back to schoolcan i ?? or take the firther educcation programe taf i belive it is called or do i go find a job. Do you think i will have trouble trying to find a job with out grades etc is there any one in the the same situation because being 16 nearly 17 there isnt many jobs you can go into a business and be high up well no business i no that you start at the bottom and work your way up does any one no any jobs that maybe a good option for me im ratehr confused ??? thanks josh

hi everyone on my dads account as i havent got my own,

i just want to get some people advice on what to do i droped out of school early as we have moved to melbourne so didnt take my gcse so i dotn have any grades/qaulifications im not sure what to do !!! do you think i will need grades to help me get a job in a office etc as i no i could get a job in the building game tomorow but i dont really like to messy and dirty .so i was thinking do i go back to schoolcan i ?? or take the firther educcation programe taf i belive it is called or do i go find a job. Do you think i will have trouble trying to find a job with out grades etc is there any one in the the same situation because being 16 nearly 17 there isnt many jobs you can go into a business and be high up well no business i no that you start at the bottom and work your way up does any one no any jobs that maybe a good option for me im ratehr confused ??? thanks josh

You could go back to school but I think you would be more comfortable finishing your high school studies at TAFE.

Hi there,

Will you be in Oz as a resident?

Either way you can enter education system easily via TAFE. I would suggest studying full or part time but definitely work! That way you get a taste of both study and work before3 you commit to one career pathway. From TAFE you can enter university.

Try this site http://www.myfuture.edu.au

Cheers Andrew

http://www.aiec.biz

Guest pippycol

we are pretty much in the same boat as you our daughter is doing her GCSE's shortly and will be 17 on the 4th of october my son is 14 in may so he is picking his options.

we are hoping to be in oz by october if not before. we have been in touch with school an our daughter can either attend school for a year or go into college.

you need to speak to a school in the area that you are thinking of living. they are friendly and very helpful, need any help just ask

good luck

pip & col

Archived