After hating all things British....

Georgie

Do you now feel differently ?

After having a look at the say something ugly about UK thread, I for one would be interested to see how all the people on here who are slagging off Great Britain (as i once did - hence the move to Australia), but havent actually arrived in Aus yet, actually miss it and return to Great Britain? I dont expect many will admit they were wrong though. Its not a thread for people who didnt complain publicly about UK.

Did you, like me realize after you had left it behind that things really weren't that bad?

This is just for people who HAVE gone back and to admit they were wrong or have been here a little while and realize they have made a mistake . For those people that slagged off Britain BEFORE they got to Australia. I had actually lived here before but as a teenager and was looking at life here as a young adult and not as a grown up with a family which is very different.

I was WRONG and i love England so there!! I will admit Australia is okayish but not my cup of tea so to speak.

Guest proud2beaussie

I haven't read many threads from people who hate ALL THINGS BRITISH,I have read plenty of threads from people who hate SOME things about Britain,and I've seen plenty about SOME things Australian that people don't like,there are some people who would not live in Australia if you gave them a house and a million dollars,they just don't like the country,that's fine,and I'm sure there will be those that wouldn't live in the UK if you offered them the keys to 10 Downing Street,but my take on it is live and let live,some like the UK,some like Australia,

Guest 0405delboy
Do you now feel differently ?

After having a look at the say something ugly about UK thread, I for one would be interested to see how all the people on here who are slagging off Great Britain (as i once did - hence the move to Australia), but havent actually arrived in Aus yet, actually miss it and return to Great Britain? I dont expect many will admit they were wrong though. Its not a thread for people who didnt complain publicly about UK.

Did you, like me realize after you had left it behind that things really weren't that bad?

This is just for people who HAVE gone back and to admit they were wrong or have been here a little while and realize they have made a mistake . For those people that slagged off Britain BEFORE they got to Australia. I had actually lived here before but as a teenager and was looking at life here as a young adult and not as a grown up with a family which is very different.

I was WRONG and i love England so there!! I will admit Australia is okayish but not my cup of tea so to speak.

I wouldnt hold me breath waiting for a response if I were you! The ones who slag UK off are usually the ones who: a) havent been here yet or b) visited for a coupla weeks about five years ago or c) the ones that became Aussies about 40 years ago. Dont believe its in the nature of people to admit they were wrong about something like this.

I really do not care either way its of no consequence to me what others think its more about what I think. Good and bad everywhere and its my life so I make sure I am happy wherever I am.

As the recession bites and we all have to make do with less and our property is worth less its about making the best of it wherever you are.

Not about point scoring which I think these threads are about only my view.

Well I`ve never hated UK - I think it`s a great country - my reasons for moving were more to do with itchy feet and wanting to live somewhere different/new experiences. Im happy enough here in Oz too and enjoying the experience. Sure stuff annoys me about both countries but I think that says more about me than it does about UK or Oz. I don`t think it`s about people being wrong about UK or Oz but perhaps about for the first time truly appreciating what they have/had.

i would never dream of slagging of my home country [scotland] even if my life was perfect here in oz ....i love scotland and we didnt come here to get away from it ...just wanted to do something different before we grow old !!! ..... given the choice i would probably move back in my later years .....but again thats purely personal choice and not because i dont like it here ...if you know what i mean ....:wacko:

mrs keily

i would never dream of slagging of my home country [scotland] even if my life was perfect here in oz ....i love scotland and we didnt come here to get away from it ...just wanted to do something different before we grow old !!! ..... given the choice i would probably move back in my later years .....but again thats purely personal choice and not because i dont like it here ...if you know what i mean ....:wacko:

mrs keily

Now you have done it someone is bound to start one on scotland now LOL

I thought it must of been a very sad indervigel to even start the thread & even sader when it got responses & even sader I even read some the only saving grace I did not reply LOL

Yes Kirk and Co it is very sad to start this thread LOL!

The reason i started it was obvious that i am sad here and i wanted to see if other people had my views. I wanted to find out if i was on my own or not with my feelings. I am sorry it meets with your disaproval. You seem like you dont have feelings and dont mind hurting other peoples. I get sick of reading about people that absolutley love it here (which is fine) and we dont hear from the ones that admit that they were wrong. Lets see how you feel in a couple of years time. You may (or may not feel the same but if you do then i hope someone gives you sympathy and not call you sad for starting a thread). Sorry but you are a very obnoxious person. I havent gone out to upset anyone as you can see. I havent said anything nasty so please try and hold your personal thoughts to yourself.

PS. On my original question i put it incorrectly. I meant to say people who hated Briain BEFORE they arrived and said it publicly but then had to go back and admit they were wrong! I myself will be slightly red faced when i have to tell everyone i was wrong!!

Please read the thread properly before you get nasty.( Not everyone but certain individuals.) I am not a trouble maker and have not ever been rude to anyone on this site. I am allowed to ask a question arent i? If not what is the point? People like Kirk and Co should think twice before belittling people i am sure there would be more posters if they werent too scared to because of what people may say!

And no one yet has answered my original question. And as Petals says I am not point scoring, I dont want a fight i only wanted to know about those people who have returned home and had to admit they were wrong!

Shouldnt really be a long thread about why we like and dont like Aus/ England/others its certain people who want to make it long by added their nasty little comments.

Bet noone answrs the original question as they're all back in their homeland and put all this behind them!

The reason i started it was obvious that i am sad here and i wanted to see if other people had my views. I wanted to find out if i was on my own or not with my feelings. I am sorry it meets with your disaproval. You seem like you dont have feelings and dont mind hurting other peoples. I get sick of reading about people that absolutley love it here (which is fine) and we dont hear from the ones that admit that they were wrong. Lets see how you feel in a couple of years time. You may (or may not feel the same but if you do then i hope someone gives you sympathy and not call you sad for starting a thread). Sorry but you are a very obnoxious person. I havent gone out to upset anyone as you can see. I havent said anything nasty so please try and hold your personal thoughts to yourself.

PS. On my original question i put it incorrectly. I meant to say people who hated Briain BEFORE they arrived and said it publicly but then had to go back and admit they were wrong! I myself will be slightly red faced when i have to tell everyone i was wrong!!

I see no problem with your thread at all, people need informed and balanced views without being criticised because it does not meet with some peoples opinions. And there is nothing wrong with admitting you were wrong, if you see what i mean:wacko:

Guest earlswood

When you leave England you realise what was on your doorstop (Europe) and things you took for granted like sitting outside your favourite pub until 11 and it is still just light….

I realise how great our seasons are especially after my first winter back which was brilliant.

Most of all I realise I missed the great British people whose humour is unsurpassed worldwide.

I too was wrong once,I think it was 1989 (or there about) it was only something trivial but i still bare the mental scars.:cute:

At least you admitted you were wrong. Re the mental scars, I know a good councillor who could help you out!:biglaugh:

Sorry i did not mean your thread i ment the one you were talking about should of made it more clear sorry. I was up early & should of waited untill more awake.

Hi Georgie

I didn't hate all things in Britain but certainly had my gripes with the UK. I had hoped that moving to Oz would change life for us in a good way, give my husband a better work/life balance so that he could spend more time with us, wanted the better weather and more outdoor living for the kids etc.

We moved to Melbourne and it wasn't for me. After 7 months I came back to the UK. Yes, I had to tell people that I'd made a mistake but I figured that I'd rather do that than stay in oz just coz I didn't want to admit that I was wrong.

I've been back in the UK for 4 months now, time has flown and I've been so happy to be back. The winter snow was beautiful and the spring weather now is amazing! There are still the things here that I didn't like before I went but everywhere has its problems and for me I'd rather be home with friends and family than halfway round the world and not happy.

I hope this answers your original question.

Guest proud2beaussie
Hi Georgie

I didn't hate all things in Britain but certainly had my gripes with the UK. I had hoped that moving to Oz would change life for us in a good way, give my husband a better work/life balance so that he could spend more time with us, wanted the better weather and more outdoor living for the kids etc.

We moved to Melbourne and it wasn't for me. After 7 months I came back to the UK. Yes, I had to tell people that I'd made a mistake but I figured that I'd rather do that than stay in oz just coz I didn't want to admit that I was wrong.

I've been back in the UK for 4 months now, time has flown and I've been so happy to be back. The winter snow was beautiful and the spring weather now is amazing! There are still the things here that I didn't like before I went but everywhere has its problems and for me I'd rather be home with friends and family than halfway round the world and not happy.

I hope this answers your original question.

Congraulations on a sensible post,it's a real shame more people can't get their point across in such a way,you came to Australia,tried it,found it wasn't for you and returned home and now you are happy again,that's great,you didn't feel the need to slag off Australia or it's people but you made your point clear that you didn't feel comfortable here and are glad to be home.

Good on you for trying Australia anyway,and I wish you all the best in the future.

Excellent post,thank you.

i deal with the public everyday of mylife many have severe dental problems so if I was a obnoxious person i do not think I would of been doing it for 27 years. We all make typing mistakes & I expect I will make many more so appologies again.

Apology accepted Kirk and Co.:wubclub: I was upset with your comment as if you read my posts none have been nasty or to belittle anyone (at least i dont remember or was drunk). :jimlad:

To explain again my question it goes along the lines of:

Friends/colleagues/family etc " what you doing back? Thought you hated it here!"

Your answer " Uum well i thought i did too but ....."

What reasons have people said for returning? You may not want to say how awful you truly felt in Australia to save face. You may just reply with i missed you guys/countryside/shops etc.

I dont know what i will say on my return but i know people will say i must be mad to come back. I dont what to be patronizing towards then and say "well you dont know as you have never lived there" so hence my question.

Thankyou Jenki

Thats more like the answers i was after!

It must have been hard to come back and say you were wrong. Did you feel awkward? I agree that its better to do what you have done than stay put in a place you are not happy just to save face.

Did you get all the "What have you come back to this place for " stuff or were people proud of you for trying. People often say "well at least you gave it a go" but underneath i wonder if they are thinking "silly prat for wasting all that money". To the latter i would say that at least i wont die wondering!!

Guest lottiep

I have never settled in Oz....I can see why other people like it but it's just not for me and I really, really appreciate the UK now!

I have always made it known to friends back home that Oz is not my cup of tea and they are always surprised....but I don't take offence.....most have never left their home town, let along moved halfway across the world where they know no one. Plus, my really good friends understand. If people are judgemental, that really does say more about them then you!

I know that I will look back and be glad I did it rather then always wonder.

We have been here 5 years and will hopefully be going back in the next few months.

Good luck, Georgie

Guest proud2beaussie

One thing I would say to you Georgie is if the people you are worried about facing are really true friends and caring family members then they won't give a damn about why you came back ,they will just be glad that you are back.

And if they ask you what's wrong with Australia all you have to say is 'Nothing really,it just isn't what I wanted and it's not for me,if they are good people,as I'm sure they are,they will probably say,'never mind,it's great to have you back'.

That's what I would say to you.

Good Luck

Hi Georgie

I agree with Nigel, real friends will be happy to have you back and won't judge you!

People that don't really know me did ask "what you came back to England from Australia?" and I've told them that a year ago I would have asked the same question, now I know what it's like and it's not for me, that usually shuts them up.

Most people have actually said what a brave thing I've done, both going halfway round the world having never been and not really knowing anyone and also coming back and admitting that it wasn't for me.

I'm glad that I did it, despite the disruption and expense! I won't keep wondering for a start and I'm a lot more grateful/accepting of things in the UK.

In life you have to make the most of our every situation. We are all different and what works for some doesn't work for others. The most important thing in life is that we are happy.

One thing I would say to you Georgie is if the people you are worried about facing are really true friends and caring family members then they won't give a damn about why you came back ,they will just be glad that you are back.

And if they ask you what's wrong with Australia all you have to say is 'Nothing really,it just isn't what I wanted and it's not for me,if they are good people,as I'm sure they are,they will probably say,'never mind,it's great to have you back'.

That's what I would say to you.

Good Luck

Thats a good point - I often feel that it`s unfair that people who have moved to Oz & given it a go but don`t like or don`t settle sometimes feel like they`ve failed. At the end of the day you shouldn`t even need to give an explaination as to why - you came, you saw and decided to do something else.

Guest Mark and Sharon

hi jenki,great post we`re thinking of going back and we`ve only been here 10weeks but i cant get work and its not looking to good for the future so maybe going back to my old job could be our only option.Some times in life you make a right decesion and then you have to make that decesion right and we think going home will be our best option and its no slight on oz its just the wrong time for us.

Guest proud2beaussie

I came to Australia 44 years ago when I was 3 so I've lived most of my life here and I love it,it will always be home to me,but I'm not so blinkered that I can't see the problems Australia has,and I am happy to admit that things are far from perfect here,and if people come here expecting perfection they will be disappointed,but all I ask of people is that if they have tried the Aussie way of life and find it's not for them that when they are about to return home they don't slag off the country or it's people just because it hasn't been their idea of paradise,everyone is entitled to their opinion and to express that opinion as they wish but when it comes to mouthing off about a country just because they don't like it ,well that's a bit much in my opinion,I spent three months in the UK last year and I'm going back again in May,I enjoyed most of my time there but there are certainly things about the country that don't impress me in the slightest but you won't hear me whingeing about them ,I put it down to experience,a part of life,and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that people returning home (To either country) do so in a way that is respecting of others peoples values and beliefs.

Archived