After hating all things British....

Georgie

Guest kazmatt
Do you now feel differently ?

After having a look at the say something ugly about UK thread, I for one would be interested to see how all the people on here who are slagging off Great Britain (as i once did - hence the move to Australia), but havent actually arrived in Aus yet, actually miss it and return to Great Britain? I dont expect many will admit they were wrong though. Its not a thread for people who didnt complain publicly about UK.

Did you, like me realize after you had left it behind that things really weren't that bad?

This is just for people who HAVE gone back and to admit they were wrong or have been here a little while and realize they have made a mistake . For those people that slagged off Britain BEFORE they got to Australia. I had actually lived here before but as a teenager and was looking at life here as a young adult and not as a grown up with a family which is very different.

I was WRONG and i love England so there!! I will admit Australia is okayish but not my cup of tea so to speak.

this thread is for me, i had come to the end with the u.k. and could only see its bad points, but leaving has made us long for all its great points, i do love the u.k. and always have, but i dont hate australia, i love it in a crazy way, i have seen things here i could not witness anywhere else in the world, just because you are leaving somewhere does it mean you have to turn your back on it ?????????????????????????

I am going back because of work reasons, in fact we go tomorrow, hope its the right decision, you never do know.

Guest proud2beaussie

Matt,

Although you are returning for work reasons (As I understand it because the particular trade you have is not widely practised here?) it doesn't mean that you have to turn your back on the things that you found enjoyable or the friends you made whilst here,maybe after the recession ends and things in the construction industry pick up you will be able to return and find a niche market for your skills,Australia is always in need of people who are hard working and have skills to offer,it's a shame you struck some bad bosses while you were here but we're not all like that,I hope you are able to re-establish yourself quickly in the UK and if you decide to return to Australia one day,I'm sure there would be plenty of people waiting to welcome you and your family again.

Safe flight home,mate.

nigel

Guest kazmatt
Matt,

Although you are returning for work reasons (As I understand it because the particular trade you have is not widely practised here?) it doesn't mean that you have to turn your back on the things that you found enjoyable or the friends you made whilst here,maybe after the recession ends and things in the construction industry pick up you will be able to return and find a niche market for your skills,Australia is always in need of people who are hard working and have skills to offer,it's a shame you struck some bad bosses while you were here but we're not all like that,I hope you are able to re-establish yourself quickly in the UK and if you decide to return to Australia one day,I'm sure there would be plenty of people waiting to welcome you and your family again.

Safe flight home,mate.

nigel

thank you nigel, you are someone i admire on this forum, fair in all you say, i am a bit emotional at the moment but thanks. we did not head here to fail, it just happened.

Guest proud2beaussie
thank you nigel, you are someone i admire on this forum, fair in all you say, i am a bit emotional at the moment but thanks. we did not head here to fail, it just happened.

You didn't fail.just wasn't meant to be mate.

Chill out,mate,enjoy the flight and make the most of the free time you have coz you'll be back working your a**e off in a few weeks-I guarantee it.

Yes i know they will want me to come back but its still the feeling of failure to me.People will say i havent failed but it sure as hell feels like it to me. I would love to be happy here as most people are. I have said i hated England and moved to Australia but OMG i feel the same way in Australia. There's no pleasing me is there!! I just wish i hadnt gone on about Australia as if it was the most fantastic place in the world to people. I wish i hadnt said things like "i will never come back to this hell hole!" Now i am gonna have to swallow my pride to admit i was totally wrong. My family and friends will love to see me again though but its the snidey remarks i will get from others i am trying to come to terms with. They have all got on with their lives and mine is now in turmoil with thousands of pounds/dollars wasted.

Yes i know they will want me to come back but its still the feeling of failure to me.People will say i havent failed but it sure as hell feels like it to me. I would love to be happy here as most people are. I have said i hated England and moved to Australia but OMG i feel the same way in Australia. There's no pleasing me is there!! I just wish i hadnt gone on about Australia as if it was the most fantastic place in the world to people. I wish i hadnt said things like "i will never come back to this hell hole!" Now i am gonna have to swallow my pride to admit i was totally wrong. My family and friends will love to see me again though but its the snidey remarks i will get from others i am trying to come to terms with. They have all got on with their lives and mine is now in turmoil with thousands of pounds/dollars wasted.

I know a nice place going cheap at the north pole I have never heard of anyone saying bad things about it they all say it is a ICE place.

Guest Mark and Sharon

georgie,you are feeling how i am,i did say i would never go back thome and you should never say never,i know people that matter will welcome us back and be upset that it didn`t work and the w*****s how laugh and smirk well as far as i`m concerned our life`s are more complete than their`s will ever be,better to have tried in life than never trying,at least we won`t be sat there in 10years time saying what if.good luck mate

What is wrong with "slagging off" Australia or the UK or any other country ? They are only the opinions of people for heavens sake. I happen to love both countries, but I believe we have freedom of speech here. Well we did when I last looked, and so if people feel that they want to let it all out then why the heck not ? Pomz in Oz is a great site for letting it all go, so if you feel you may not like the opinions of some people then best stay in that padded cell, or go to www.lovelysquishyperfectland.com

Yes Kirk and Co it is very sad to start this thread LOL!

The reason i started it was obvious that i am sad here and i wanted to see if other people had my views. I wanted to find out if i was on my own or not with my feelings. I am sorry it meets with your disaproval. You seem like you dont have feelings and dont mind hurting other peoples. I get sick of reading about people that absolutley love it here (which is fine) and we dont hear from the ones that admit that they were wrong. Lets see how you feel in a couple of years time. You may (or may not feel the same but if you do then i hope someone gives you sympathy and not call you sad for starting a thread). Sorry but you are a very obnoxious person. I havent gone out to upset anyone as you can see. I havent said anything nasty so please try and hold your personal thoughts to yourself.

PS. On my original question i put it incorrectly. I meant to say people who hated Briain BEFORE they arrived and said it publicly but then had to go back and admit they were wrong! I myself will be slightly red faced when i have to tell everyone i was wrong!!

Just had to say you are not on your own, I too am sad here. Nothing makes me feel better. Unfortunately I'm from Zimbabwe so cannot return. I also get sick of hearing how "its the best place on earth" its not for ME. I don't fit in and never will, I miss Africa just like you must miss the UK. Home is where the heart is.

I came to Australia 44 years ago when I was 3 so I've lived most of my life here and I love it,it will always be home to me,but I'm not so blinkered that I can't see the problems Australia has,and I am happy to admit that things are far from perfect here,and if people come here expecting perfection they will be disappointed,but all I ask of people is that if they have tried the Aussie way of life and find it's not for them that when they are about to return home they don't slag off the country or it's people just because it hasn't been their idea of paradise,everyone is entitled to their opinion and to express that opinion as they wish but when it comes to mouthing off about a country just because they don't like it ,well that's a bit much in my opinion,I spent three months in the UK last year and I'm going back again in May,I enjoyed most of my time there but there are certainly things about the country that don't impress me in the slightest but you won't hear me whingeing about them ,I put it down to experience,a part of life,and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that people returning home (To either country) do so in a way that is respecting of others peoples values and beliefs.

Don't take this as offensive, but sometimes people that live in another country and have no other way to express their feelings need a site like this to feel a little normal. I get what you are saying, I certainly don't like people slagging off my country, but remember this site is for immigrants. You are an Australian so of course you will find people slagging off Australia offensive.

Guest proud2beaussie
Don't take this as offensive, but sometimes people that live in another country and have no other way to express their feelings need a site like this to feel a little normal. I get what you are saying, I certainly don't like people slagging off my country, but remember this site is for immigrants. You are an Australian so of course you will find people slagging off Australia offensive.

I think you miss my point,I'm not saying people don't have a right to criticise,what I object to is people who get on PIO and say "Australia is a s**t hole and Australians are w***ers,I find that sort of thing highly offensive,there are ways of expressing opinions without being OTT offensive,and yes I have seen that sort of highly inflammatory language used here.

And BTW,I'm a dual UK -Australian citizen so my opinion does not relate to my nationality,I would have the same opinion if I was at present living in the UK as a UK citizen.

Have a look at posts 17 and 22 on this thread,sensible posts where people make the point that Australia is not for them,but without going OTT.

What is wrong with "slagging off" Australia or the UK or any other country ? They are only the opinions of people for heavens sake. I happen to love both countries, but I believe we have freedom of speech here. Well we did when I last looked, and so if people feel that they want to let it all out then why the heck not ? Pomz in Oz is a great site for letting it all go, so if you feel you may not like the opinions of some people then best stay in that padded cell, or go to www.lovelysquishyperfectland.com

Don`t think anyone is saying you can`t slag it off - some are saying they don`t feel the need to (like me) whilst others say they have slagged off a country in the past and now look at things differently. If you feel the need to vent then start a thread and blast away - just post a warning first so we can stand well back.

Guest boomerangpommie

Hi Georgie,

Like Jenki, I only managed 7 months in Oz, but I didn't particularly slag of the UK before I left but wanted all those things people go for, work-life balance, better opportunities for the kids, etc. I was very happy to be back when I first got back and so was everyone here to have us back and I never felt like a failure or anything. But slowly, it crept up, a regret that I hadn't really given it a go and that I left whilst in a trough of feeling down, homesick, lost, unfamiliar, without a job etc, that I'm sure I would have risen out of. Now, I just want to get back and try again and I am starting to hate it here, it all seems so much worse than I had remembered it and maybe it's because I have a PR visa to live in Oz, maybe it's because I had a taste of life in Oz, maybe it's because it's just been so cold here but everyday, I ask myself "What the hell am I doing back here???" But I also feel scared about going back to all of that uncertainty, I do at least know what I'm about here.

It's a dilemma.

Archived