Sun screen, step by step please

BuddysMum

I have read all the literature etc. I know that the sun is a real health issue. I know we have to use sun screen, sun hats, shades etc.

BUT.....I would just love to know the practicalities.

I have read that some apply sunscreen just to go out to the washing line. I know that some never apply it (with dire consequences)

So,,let's say it is winter in NSW. Would you wear sunscreen then? Would you wear it only if you were going out all day or would you put it on for a trip to the shops?

What is the best brand? How often do you have to reapply it if you are not swimming?

When we were over last August we bought one recommended by the drug store. It was ok, but it kind of "slipped" a bit during the day, and frankly looked rather odd. I would be happy to do that if there is a real need, but I am just aware that we didn't see many locals in this advanced stage of "slippage":wink:

And then, what about around Brisbane at that time of year?

I want to take care and protect my family, but I don't want to be neurotic and over-fussy.

Any help and advice gratefully received!

Guest Furball

Great question :) I'm interested in this one too - moving to Q'land in August etc so.

One other bit too though for me - I'm seriously sensitive to sun screen... Simple bringing out their own range of them saved me over here as that is *literally* the only one I can use without having horrid reactions to it... are there any/many really sensitive ones over there?

Thank you....

Cat xx

i only wear sunscreen if i'm going to be out in direct sunlight for over 30mins.

as a guide, i went out kayaking today, was in the sun from 2pm - 3:30pm, wearing just lifejacket and shorts (barefoot lol) i put abit of factor 30 on my nose and that was it, no real sunburn at all..

I just wanted to say good question

We have been here about 6 months and I apply sunscreen on the obvious hot days, in the morning and then usually forget to re apply! but I am also not out in the sun all day. I try and wear a hat on hot days too, I now have one in my bag and one in the car, and a few left behind at varioius places LOL

Not sure I understand what you mean by slippage???

I have problems with sunscreen as most make me itch and the ones that don't make me look like I am wearing a mask!!

We are using Invisible zinc which is quite good, I got it when it was on a 3 for 2 offer in Myers but I think you can get it in pharmacy's too.

I am looking for a good moisturizer and sunscreen that I can put on in the morning so at least I am giving myself some protection, I read about Hissy fit but it is expensive, about $40 a tube.

Interested to hear how other people deal with this.

Karen

Hi Buddysmum

The bottom line is.....if there's no ozone, there's no ozone!

As someone said.....it doesn't grow back again every winter!

Protect yourselves with the same diligence you would a small child!

Sue x

Some of the aussies go out in something not much sort of a bio hazard suit . When we bought car xtrail saw one at dog beach asked driver whats it like ,she says sunroof dont use it hubby gets sunburn on his nut , well make that 2 of us lol. An asian mate i worked with in uk (gave some stick) took it in jest used to call me mad turk lol

Guest Furball

My other concern is that I get a lot of stick over here as I go very very brown, very very easily - even through really high factor sunscreen... whether I wear screen / hats / full body cover or not I'm going to go very brown in Aus and there's not a lot I can do about it (I refuse to become a hermit).

I'm concerned that people will react badly to this as Aussies seem, in general, to be way more sun aware than brits - and even over here people I don't know get at me for "sunbathing" too much as I *have* to have deliberately cooked myself to go the colour I do... (Actually no, I don't, but hey...). I don't really want people to prejudge me as ignorant and irresponsible simply cos I tan so easily.

My other concern is that I get a lot of stick over here as I go very very brown, very very easily - even through really high factor sunscreen... whether I wear screen / hats / full body cover or not I'm going to go very brown in Aus and there's not a lot I can do about it (I refuse to become a hermit).

I'm concerned that people will react badly to this as Aussies seem, in general, to be way more sun aware than brits - and even over here people I don't know get at me for "sunbathing" too much as I *have* to have deliberately cooked myself to go the colour I do... (Actually no, I don't, but hey...). I don't really want people to prejudge me as ignorant and irresponsible simply cos I tan so easily.

Dont worry ,nobody will say owt everybodys at the beach etc , I go brown easily but here be prepared to go lobster coloured , the sun is very strong

Here you go...And wear a wide brimmed hat. For those red headed people, wear a long sleeved cotton shirt as well

SunSmart - All about sunscreens

Cheers, Bobj.

That link is pretty useful, thanks.

Particularly helpful: "When the UV Index reaches 3 and above, take five steps to protect yourself against sun damage"

So I guess that's the key really.

By slippage I meant that the lotion sort of sat on our skin and sort of melted. It was horrible. Think it may have been zinc based.

My son is very allergic to PABA, but as far as I can tell it's banned in Australia anyway, so I think that many who have sunscreen allergies might fare better over there.

Here you go...And wear a wide brimmed hat. For those red headed people, wear a long sleeved cotton shirt as well

SunSmart - All about sunscreens

Cheers, Bobj.

That link is pretty useful, thanks.

Particularly helpful: "When the UV Index reaches 3 and above, take five steps to protect yourself against sun damage"

So I guess that's the key really.

By slippage I meant that the lotion sort of sat on our skin and sort of melted. It was horrible. Think it may have been zinc based.

My son is very allergic to PABA, but as far as I can tell it's banned in Australia anyway, so I think that many who have sunscreen allergies might fare better over there.

Guest littlesarah

The advice of Tony Chu (a leading UK dermatologist) is to wear a moisturiser/sunscreen SPF at least 15 every day in the UK in order to avoid UV damage/premature aging.

I do this most days (Soltan, cheap as) - and in Aus I'll be using an oil-free 30+ every day on my face, and a cheap n cheerful SPF 30 instead of body lotion. That's what I did when I spent a year out there, & I only got burnt once. I also wear a wide-brimmed hat, decent sunnies and a shirt - but then I burn very easily so have a HUGE incentive to minimise UV exposure.

Guest John Sydney

Generally speaking - Wide hat and a t -shirt plus cream on the face from about middle of November thro to End of March for NSW Best is 5 -10 minutes per day to build up to being exposed. Worst days can be cloudy!

I use to run round with nothing on from 2years onwards now at Fifty I got skin cancer on my head and on my arms not badly yet

Yer gotta try "Pink Zink" for the lips and nose then you really know what sun cream is

Archived