Brisbane Schools - useful info

KathK

Like many of you I have been trying to get as much info about schools & which are good. Tonight I finally found gold, so thought I'd share it with anyone else who's interested & save you the hours searching like I have! The following websites all have useful info about school performances, localities, maps etc:

http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/about/assessment.html how to assess schools

http://education.qld.gov.au/nextstep/2008regions.html after year 12 tables

http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/about/617.html

http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/about/assessment.html#framework

Maps of BCC Wards map of Brisbane wards

District maps maps of education ward

and this a list of govt state schools in Brisbane suburbs.

State High Schools in Brisbane

· Bray Park State High School

· Brisbane School of Distance Education

· Capalaba SHS

· Deception Bay State High School

· Ferny Grove SHS

· The Gap High School

· Geebung Special School

· Hendra Secondary College

· Kedron State High School

· MacGregor State High School

· Marsden State High School

· Mitchelton SHS

· Mt Gravatt High

· Pine Rivers State High School

· Rochedale South State School

· Runcorn High School

· Springwood State High School

· Sunnybank State High School

· Wynnum SHS

· Yeronga State High School

I didn't realise that some of the more southern suburbs aren't classed as 'Brisbane' ( we have been looking at Springfield) so you have to look on Qland website for further info on these.

I hope this info helps some of you out there. I shall certainly be kept v busy reading all the info I have now found!

Kath

Guest neilalys

thanks for the info very helpfull will help us chose from the few schools we can send our girls to as international students

Thanks. Just to clarify what I should be looking for - am I looking for schools with a higher % of kids going onto uni and/or further education? The senior certificate is something most of them get? What does the OP score mean/relate to? What should we be looking for with these scores? (Its all so confusing when you're used to just looking at GCSE grade results!!)

Kath

Guest DadAgain
Thanks. Just to clarify what I should be looking for - am I looking for schools with a higher % of kids going onto uni and/or further education? The senior certificate is something most of them get? What does the OP score mean/relate to? What should we be looking for with these scores? (Its all so confusing when you're used to just looking at GCSE grade results!!)

Kath

Roughly speaking, if you're interested in academic excellence the statistic from this report you care about is the percentage of student with OP1-15.

OP (Overall Performance) grade ranges from 1-25 with 1 being the best in and 25 being the worst. 1-15 is considered a Uni entrance score, although obviously some courses have requirements that are very much at the top end of that scale (Wanna do Law? - Need an OP1).

A percularity of how OPs are calculated, however is that your score is not based entirely on your performance, but a combination of your where on your schools bell-curve of results you lie, and where your school lies of the state-wide bell-curve! This means that if you go to a 'bad' school and perform brilliantly, you may not be capable of an OP1. Conversely at a good school you may perform badly and still get a much more acceptable score than you would have at a 'bad' school - having had your results affected by the quality of your peers! (If that is *not* true then please let me know - but thats my current understanding of the Qld OP system!)

Of course not all of a schools quality can be measured in academic terms alone, some excel at supporting those with special needs, some a great sporting academies, others have very strong music programs, or a leadership & confidence program. There are a few school that run an IB program (International Bachaloreat) which are very academic intensive programs where student dont get an OP (thus making them look worse on this report when they are in fact academic high performers).

Good luck finding a school that suits you! :biggrin:

Thanks - its all so confusing! Doesn't sound as if the OP score is particularly 'fair' if its based on which school you attend?!

I'm not sure how to find out OP scores - is there a quicker way than checking individual school websites?

(I've just had this whole issue in the UK getting my daughter into decent senior school for Sept with good % of A-C GCSE grades - can't believe I'm now doing it AGAIN - with a system I have no knowledge of at all!!!!!)

Kath

Thanks - its all so confusing! Doesn't sound as if the OP score is particularly 'fair' if its based on which school you attend?!

I'm not sure how to find out OP scores - is there a quicker way than checking individual school websites?

(I've just had this whole issue in the UK getting my daughter into decent senior school for Sept with good % of A-C GCSE grades - can't believe I'm now doing it AGAIN - with a system I have no knowledge of at all!!!!!)

Kath

The adjustment of your OP depending on which school you went to is meant to make the OP more fair.

If you manage an average grade at a school that has heaps of bright students shouldn't that be worth as much as an above average grade at a school with less academic students.

Where it can be deliberately distorted is at some of the more expensive private schools where they run a huge program (eg sample tests, coaching etc) to ensure their students do the best they can on the core skill tests (CSL) which inflates their OP results above the true result.

Guest janagaraja

Hi Freinds,

Finally Got through after passing many hurdles and now it comes to my mind that what is next and i need information on few basic info on schools . If some one can guide me i would really appreciate and that will guide me for initial estabilshment. Finally i have planned to move to Oz in August 2009.Here are my queries

1. My daughter is completing her grade 5 in 20th may in 2009 in USA and she her grade 6 school caleander starts in usa only in august 2009. Will she get admission in grade 6 OR Grade 5 in brisbane at any school directly

? but there would be hardly 3 months left over in OZ in the current year. My question is what she will do remaining 6 months from august to january 2010.

2. I was shocked yesterday by reading the news that the queens land had the highest record of bullying cases (Arround 14000 Physical assualt cases) and goverment is trying their level best to control bullying. I am sacred . Is it true? Can any one confirm this. In usa we never had any problem in Schools.Also i heard that Private schools ( Roman catholic specially) are really good and well disciplined as compared to many other schools. I Dont mind spending money by getting her in to private schools but is ther any advantge that private schools have over public schools. can some post the best private and public schools in this post.

Please correct me if i am wrong and guide me to the right direction. Any assitance on this would be remembered. Thanks and regards. Jana

Guest ABCDiamond
I was shocked yesterday by reading the news that the queens land had the highest record of bullying cases (Arround 14000 Physical assualt cases) and goverment is trying their level best to control bullying.

What shocked me was the fact that a number of those 14,000 were Prep, Year 1 and year 2 children !!

I asked my 12 year old what the bullying was like at her school, and she said that she hasn't noticed any ? It is however a Christian school, not State.

Guest DadAgain

I'm sure there are public schools with a bullying issue - but there are also 'top class' private schools with bullying problems too (I know a while back Brisbane Girls Grammar had a really nasty reputation in this regard).

I dont think you can make any general sweeping statements that schools in system "X" are better than schools in system "Y". You need to look more closely at the areas their students come from and try and get feel for the school and what it focuses on.

Dont trust the media either - they LOVE a school bullying beat-up. Recently there was a news story about an ambulance being called to The Gap State High. The news story suggested someone had been stabbed with a kitchen knife and details were still emerging...

Nothing more was said on the news, but I've since found out from students at the school that a student slipped over in home-ec class and had a minor cut to their OWN hand... no stabbing, no malicious out of control frenzy as the media reports suggested. The ambulance was probably overkill in the first place, and from there the story took on a life of its own in the hands of creative journalists!!!

Guest janagaraja

Thanks for much needed info. Releived bIt. Thanks

I'm sure there are public schools with a bullying issue - but there are also 'top class' private schools with bullying problems too (I know a while back Brisbane Girls Grammar had a really nasty reputation in this regard).

I dont think you can make any general sweeping statements that schools in system "X" are better than schools in system "Y". You need to look more closely at the areas their students come from and try and get feel for the school and what it focuses on.

Dont trust the media either - they LOVE a school bullying beat-up. Recently there was a news story about an ambulance being called to The Gap State High. The news story suggested someone had been stabbed with a kitchen knife and details were still emerging...

Nothing more was said on the news, but I've since found out from students at the school that a student slipped over in home-ec class and had a minor cut to their OWN hand... no stabbing, no malicious out of control frenzy as the media reports suggested. The ambulance was probably overkill in the first place, and from there the story took on a life of its own in the hands of creative journalists!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest emasergent

hi ive been reading so many comments and cant seem to find out if i imigrate to brisbane on a skilled trade visa do i need to pay for my children to go to school? ive got twin girls that will be 8 in july and a boy who will be 3 in june, what years/classes will my girls be in and when will josh start school? any info on schooling would be great thanks.

Ema

Guest ABCDiamond
hi ive been reading so many comments and cant seem to find out if i imigrate to brisbane on a skilled trade visa do i need to pay for my children to go to school? ive got twin girls that will be 8 in july and a boy who will be 3 in june, what years/classes will my girls be in and when will josh start school? any info on schooling would be great thanks.

Ema

QLD -

In QLD people on temporary resident visas (and their dependant family members) generally pay the same fees as Australian students for government-funded schooling.

Children born in 2001 start year 1 in 2007.

Children born between July 2005 - Jun 2006 : start prep in Jan 2011 and Year 1 in Jan 2012.

Education in Queensland, Australia

In Australia the Government provides a FREE State operated education system, and they also subsidise a very large Private Education system.

In 2003, about 32% of all School Children in Australia went to Private/Independent schools.

Cost of State and Private Education in Australia

Guest valleylass

Great thread KathK, very helpful. I think we are used to a great deal of educational statistics in the UK and feel a little 'lost' when we have to search so hard for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kathkinane

I don't think it matters where you go, there will always be a bully. My girls are 3 & 5yrs and go to Anglican school, private. I believe in a good uniform , discipline and education which I'm happy to pay for. We live in QLD moved from WA Feb 09. I suggest a private school if you can pay..........

Guest DadAgain
... I suggest a private school if you can pay..........

I suggest researching the schools in your area before making any rash decisions.

I'd even seriosuly considering moving house to a better area rather than paying for school fees (better to pay for expensive real estate that will appreciate in value than school fees which are dead money)

• 3 months later...
Guest justinhodgesx

oii thanks so much..:notworthy:

i have tuu deciide where tuu move from my school and these websiites are makiing it easier! especially..the one about the statistics

its all so hard making these desisions! :nah:

xx

Archived