Where did you stay once you landed ?

Guest HeywoodMonkey

Guest HeywoodMonkey

Hy

I am assuming that the majority of people who move to Oz rent first before buying a house.

• But where did you stay when you first got off the plane ?

• Was it a hotel friends or some other form ?

• For how long ?

Guest kimdownie

hi,

someone on a previous thread mentioned hiring a motor home, which we thought was a fab idea!!!, it is ready furnished, and while your driving around looking for rental houses and new cars etc the kids can be comfortable in the back playing rather than bored being dragged in and out of places 2 minutes here 2 minutes there, they will have done enough just travelling over there in the first place.

Kim

Guest JoanneHattersley
Hy

I am assuming that the majority of people who move to Oz rent first before buying a house.

• But where did you stay when you first got off the plane ?

• Was it a hotel friends or some other form ?

• For how long ?

We stayed with a rellie in Brissie - we intended being there for a few weeeks but after a week we stumbled across a great rental place at http://www.centenaryquays.com.au - over in Jindalee - Brissies western suburbs. We stayed there for 18 months and then found a house and bought our own. We thought about building but went out one day to look at a list of open houses and bingo - found what we were looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Johnatts (hope i've spelt you name right) I have just looked at the link you posted and the houses look really nice. I take it they rent and sell? How about schools do you know if they are close and what they might be called. Thanks Smith tribe.

Guest JoanneHattersley
Hi Johnatts (hope i've spelt you name right) I have just looked at the link you posted and the houses look really nice. I take it they rent and sell? How about schools do you know if they are close and what they might be called. Thanks Smith tribe.

they both rent and sell these properties. the only downside at the moment being that on the next door land they are building a big factory outlet shopping centre, that is going to cause excess traffic etc.

properties are gorgeous inside and out and you have the pool there too. you can walk to river, local shops and jindalee tavern. Drs surgery within walking distance, good restaurants, petrol station and 7-11 too.

not sure re schools as came over child free! Step kids remained with their birth mother in UK. PM/Email me if you want to know anything else about the area.

We stayed in a furnished appartment for 2 weeks while we scoured for a rental in local suburbs within 1 hours travelling of my employer. A major consideration was that we knew we would only rent until our PR visas came through and we had to rent in the area we would eventually buy as we didn't want to move the childrens schools.

If you are going to buy eventually then check out the houses for sale to make sure you can afford the area. Talk to as many locals as you can (or people here on the forum) to find out as much as you can.

We checked out via the web quite a few house sales websites b4 we left the UK so we had some idea of where we could afford. TBH 2 weeks to find a rental isn't long as it takes 1 week to arrange the paperwork after you've found somewhere.

I like the idea of the motorhome...wish I'd done that

Guest koala12

Hi,

We were lucky in that we were able to stay with brother in law/sister in law which gave us time to catch our breath before we started looking around for a place of our own. We found something we liked after a few weeks of looking and because the conveyancing system is so much better here, ie it doesn't take for ever we moved in about a month later by which time our stuff from England had been in the country a couple of weeks, had been cleared through customs and was ready for delivery - then the fun of unpacking start (NOT!). For those who have no rellies or friends here I would think that best idea is to rent somewhere and then take your time looking around for something you want to rent or buy after you've looked at a few different areas.

Hello everyone

We will be renting in Perth probably North of the river, short term but are looking to have a house built, this could take a while. My concern is if you have school age children and you are renting in one area and then decide to move further afield, it means more disruption from schooling, how do you get round this. We have never been to Oz so we r really taking the bull by the horn here.

Do we go to a hotel for a few weeks, then look for a rental in an area we like the look of and then hope to buy/build in that area. What if we can't decide on an area so soon!!

Also is there a time limit that you can keep kids out of school? It is quite a worrying thought especially as our oldest is now 14, we feel we r making a huge move, but want them to settle easily.

Any advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks Donna

Archived