Sizzlers (Oz) vs. Harvester (UK)

martincburgess

Hi all,

We are due to head "down under" later this year, but have visited many times and came across Sizzler's fairly early on on our travels. I believe it tends to be found in Queensland.

Anyway, we were sitting in our local Harvester here in the UK which is sort of similar in that it has an element of self service.

We were impressed with the value that Sizzlers provided in Oz, with the one off "all you can eat" payment.

Harvesters in the UK is a "theme pub" which is family friendly. Howver, todays visit did focus our minds on how grubby it was and that it had made it onto the TV programme Watchdog, the BBC Consumer show, which highlighted that it had contaminated food and was a bit dodgy all round. (Not sure why we tried it again!)

Anyway it brought back fond memories of Sizzlers, not for its high quality food, but its value for money.

Would welcome anyone elses experiences of these eating establishments!

Martin

Guest Emcooper

we have them in WA too. Certainly not the highest class of restaurant you could eat it but we used to go every so often, I feel its good value for money, I miss the pumpkin soup! For those that havent heard of sizzlers, (im assuming thy are run similar in each state?) Basically you can order a main meal from a menu, the do kids meals too, you also get a 'salad bar' with this. If you dont want to order a main you can just opt for th salad bar, which was always more than enough for me. the salad bar consists/consisted when i last went of

2/3 different soups

pasta and bolognaise

plenty of salads and accompniments

Im sure I remember a couple of hot dishes... a potato bake and wedges sometimes

fruit

dessert bar which has icecream and a couple of different puddings.

you can also get all you can drink soft drinks too but you pay extra for drinks

I havent been to the harvester for a while now but from the one I last went to, I dont recall there being as many salad dishes to choose from, I guess the salad bar is meant to be a side dish and not the main meal.lol

Man I wish we had sizzler here!

Hi all,

We are due to head "down under" later this year, but have visited many times and came across Sizzler's fairly early on on our travels. I believe it tends to be found in Queensland.

Anyway, we were sitting in our local Harvester here in the UK which is sort of similar in that it has an element of self service.

We were impressed with the value that Sizzlers provided in Oz, with the one off "all you can eat" payment.

Harvesters in the UK is a "theme pub" which is family friendly. Howver, todays visit did focus our minds on how grubby it was and that it had made it onto the TV programme Watchdog, the BBC Consumer show, which highlighted that it had contaminated food and was a bit dodgy all round. (Not sure why we tried it again!)

Anyway it brought back fond memories of Sizzlers, not for its high quality food, but its value for money.

Martin

This debate will leave me tossing and turning in my sleep. Can't wait till morning.

This could go down as one of the best debates in PIO history

All the Sizzlers I ever patronized over the years have closed down and I havent seen one for years. I think it was something to do with the health requirements which couldnt be met by open salad bars. Must say I did appreciate them when they were open - should check out the Harvesters no doubt too on my next visit if they do much the same thing.

Guest Deb62

Hi Martin;

We're big Sizzlers fans. We lived in Brisbane for nearly ten years and used Sizzlers for most family get togethers. I feel it is terrific value. It's brilliant for families because there is something everyone can enjoy.

When we came back to UK my daughter had me trying to make pumpkin soup like Sizzlers for years but I never got it right! We used to drool over the website every now and then nostalgically.

When I went back to visit my daughter last year we went to our 'local' at Strathpine and it was pretty much as it was when we left in 1998 and not much more expensive. We took photos of us eating our 'cheesy toast' and I brought back Sizzlers mints for family members left at home.

They arn't in every state, but they seem to be all over Brisbane. And long may they continue!

Deb

Guest kazmatt

we love sizzler, the cheesy toast is nice, its not much more to have a main meal that comes with salad bar than to just pay for salad bar,

glitteryourway3ccc9ce5.gif

Only been once ... didn't like having to make my mind up what I wanted to eat as soon as I walked in the door (at the till), they gave us dirty glassess to drink out of which were promptley given right back, and the soup wasn't hot (according to my daughter). Did venture back for lunch with colleagues and it was a better experience, and will try it again with the family.

Ali

Hi all,

Martin

we have one here in Redcliffe, but I would have to be starving before I ate there, The steak are like bits of plastic and not cheap. I suppose the salad bar is fair value if you don,t mind all the germs being blown on them even though they have so called sneeze guards, the kids still get under them.

Guest donovan
we love sizzler, the cheesy toast is nice, its not much more to have a main meal that comes with salad bar than to just pay for salad bar,

glitteryourway3ccc9ce5.gif

Totally agree, love that cheesy toast, great value for money

Sarah x

we have one here in Redcliffe, but I would have to be starving before I ate there, The steak are like bits of plastic and not cheap. I suppose the salad bar is fair value if you don,t mind all the germs being blown on them even though they have so called sneeze guards, the kids still get under them.

Hahaha, I'm with you, I wouldn't eat there even if I was starving to death. I remember a while back one of those after the news report shows did a test on salads from salad bars and the germs in them were incredible, including feaces and urine, yuck.

Hi all,

Martin

Both are shockingly bad, wouldn't let my dog eat in them!!!

Guest 0405delboy

Sizzler closed down in Adelaide back in the 90's (dont wanna know why) but now we have Charlies. Do like all you can eat restaurants especially when Im hung over but the food is hardly gourmet. Theres an appalling all you can eat restaurant in the southern suburbs of Adelaide (up the hill) that I would avoid at ALL costs but since youre off to Queensland it wont apply to you!

0405delboy :radar:

Archived