British Army to Oz Army

Guest Swing low sweet chariot

Guest Swing low sweet chariot

I am fairly convinced I've made the wrong decision to move over to the Oz army. I am of the opinion it's suffocated by micro-management, corporate governance and is complicated by a mountain of un-necessary bull**** paperwork. The little things take priority or major things. I am not having a go at the soldering qualities of the men and women of the ADF, nor their professionalism. However, I think the ADF are way behind the British Army in many aspects, which I won't go into. The Corp I'm part of seems to have no real direction or clear directive. All this competency based training is just Americanised bull****.

I regret making the move and we will return to the UK when my contract is up. I now realise it's not always greener on the other. We all miss England, we had a good lifestyle, close to the sea, a nice house, great friends and a job that I was truly happy in. I guess we had to try, else we would of never known. I am not knocking Australia as it's a great country, but it'll never be home for us. My heart is in England, our future is in England.

:arghh:

yes i had my experiences in the reserves over here. i had at the time left the territorial army in the uk and joined the reserves in australia.

the guys teaching basic weapon safety over here didn't know the names of the parts of the weapon. they made us lay the weapon parts on the soil, they got us to affix bayonets then allowed recruits to casually stroll around with them levelled at stomach level. when they cleared the weapons they fired them into the heavens at 45 degrees. they couldn't teach basic drill. they couldn't be bothered to check the integrity of the assault course equipment and had no clear idea of what was necessary. i ended up injuring myself badly thanks to these idiots (the assualt course equipment collapsed whilst i was on it) and was thrown on my ear the next day on crutches with a throbbing pain in my leg that took months to go away. i was on crutches for a month thanks to these guys and totally on my own, which meant crutching it for kilometers to work because i couldn't afford a taxi.

the worse part is the supposed weapon that the services use - the steyr. its sight is a magnificent 1.5 times magnification, which pretty well means you should just tear the thing off the rifle and use iron sights. the 5.56 rifle of the uk at least allows you to identify what you are shooting at.

ten years later when i showed up to join the airforce i was now classed unsuitable ( my last assessment saw me good for military intelligence and was supposedly psychologically stable - whatever that means these days) eventhough i had a trade, can run 10.5 km in 41 minutes and have previous military experience.

Took husband a while to get used to the aussie way of doing things. Even though we've been here 2 years, some things are still frustrating but must admit we have all adapted. Know of some people who have moved back before their contract was up, but obviously they had to pay a lot of money back to the aussies!

I am fairly convinced I've made the wrong decision to move over to the Oz army. I am of the opinion it's suffocated by micro-management, corporate governance and is complicated by a mountain of un-necessary bull**** paperwork. The little things take priority or major things. I am not having a go at the soldering qualities of the men and women of the ADF, nor their professionalism. However, I think the ADF are way behind the British Army in many aspects, which I won't go into. The Corp I'm part of seems to have no real direction or clear directive. All this competency based training is just Americanised bull****.

I regret making the move and we will return to the UK when my contract is up. I now realise it's not always greener on the other. We all miss England, we had a good lifestyle, close to the sea, a nice house, great friends and a job that I was truly happy in. I guess we had to try, else we would of never known. I am not knocking Australia as it's a great country, but it'll never be home for us. My heart is in England, our future is in England.

:arghh:

and according to todays newspaper the OZ army are too fat!:wink:

Hi to you all,

I've been here now 4 months and I can say I'm not impressed at all, having done 16 years in the British Army and coming here I thought they would be a little more relaxed, far from it. I,m currently at Kapooka and the place if full of uneccary bull----, I had done 6 years in ATR's in the UK and it was nothing like this, this place is still thinking they are in Vietnam (over 30 years ago). No one is open to change and the problem you have there is that you army will never change or get better. At Kapooka you have also got SNCO's who have never experienced any thing else but training establishments, not gone on any OPs, just stuck in there Trg ways, so sad. I think 3 years and I'm out or less things rapily change?

Archived