White goods - how much in oz? new

Guest ashmalog

Guest ashmalog

can't find any info on new costs for white goods, trying to work out our budget for going over, not taking ours as too old. want 6-7kg loader. also any good sites for fridge/freezers?

do the supermarkets sell white goods? like here.

bonnie

Guest alan_blue

washing machines seem to be nore expensive in oz looking at harvey normans site. May be better getting one here then before we move?

Guest ashmalog
washing machines seem to be nore expensive in oz looking at harvey normans site. May be better getting one here then before we move?

ive heard that harvey normans are the equiv to UK john lewis stores so expect to be more expensive. I wouldn't buy a washing machine from john lewis as can't afford to shop there! i'll keep looking!!

can't find any info on new costs for white goods, trying to work out our budget for going over, not taking ours as too old. want 6-7kg loader. also any good sites for fridge/freezers?

do the supermarkets sell white goods? like here.

bonnie

hi bonnie try this site www.thegoodguys.com.au ...they sell everything electrical from toasters to freezers .....and if you pay cash you get a discount

mrs keily

We've bought a lot of electrical goods from the good guys. We have a Harvey Norman Seconds here too - usually items with a scratch on it or just ex-display models. Great to look here if you're wanting a bar fridge or fridge to put in the garage for example.

Ali

Everybody seems to have a different take on this but, in my experience, there's not much to choose on prices between the UK and Australia when it comes to white goods. Especially if you can watch for sales, there are bargains to be had here.

Of the links above, I'd use Harvey Norman (known as "Hardly Normal" down here!) as a budgetary price of the worst you can expect to pay, then shop around. In this town, most of our white goods purchases have ended up being from Store locator (TGG Home Page)

Only once that I can think of weren't they the best price I've been able to get.

A couple of things: first off, shops down here seem a lot less offended if you ask for a discount "What's your best price on this?" and will often come down a bit from what you see advertised. The only times we've paid the full advertised price has been when something is already heavily discounted in a sale.

Second, since you mention a 7kg front loader washing machine as an example, I bought one of those just before Christmas and paid $569. for a Samsung model that does all I need and more. In my case, I knocked another $200 off this because there was a Queensland government rebate for water efficient washing machines but this has now run out. I don't know if there will be a similar scheme later this year. I happened to notice the same Bosch washing machine that I had owned in the UK for $799 which, depending on the exchange rate I use, is probably a bit less than I paid in the UK.

But, allowing for normal store-to-store variations, don't expect things to be miles off the UK prices. (And at least starting new you have valid local warranties.)

Bob

Archived