Hairdressing thread

TaniaColin

Guest lisaandnigel
hi... i am a hairdresser in joondalup... i didnt need to resit my exams as i had all my cerificates..which they assessed as being acceptable and i got my licence easy... however a friend of mine had to resit perming and colour/cut as he didnt have any certification...so look it all out before you come over and keep it with you...not in your shipment...you will need it...good luck..

i still have all my certificates , do you think i wont need to sit exams then?

lisa

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still shocked at no tips... ! I live off my tips week to week..... If you don't mind me asking ..do the wages make up for it? I have been trying to work out incoming wage against outgoings but i can't find any base salary to start from.. and does everyone work week by week out there.... All of the rental properties i look at are priced by the week?

Australians do not tip for anything, hairdressers, cabbies, restaurants and as Brits you have to learn to do the same when you arrive here and the wages in some salons are awful $16 to $21 an hour, Coles pay more for stacking shelves. I agree that many British people here prefer British trained stylists but Australians couldn't care less who cuts their hair as they have been use to bad hairstyles for years. One salon I went to an interview timed me, yes you heard right they time you, I got the job but told them to stuff it because their pay structure was based on time, you have to cut 2 to 3 cuts per hour or 25 people a day or you will not receive your bonus, this is why haircuts are so bad here, you are not allowed to put any creativity into a haircut or spend time with your client its more a case of come in, sit down, cut hair, roughdry, (not blowdry as takes too long) get up and get out and all this within 15 to 20 mins, fortunately I now work in a shop that has great pay incentives and great staff, I do get some tips but not many and I come home feeling glad of my days work, to all future migrants be prepared for some shocking eye openers, eventually you will find a great salon that you feel comfartable working in...but it will take time...

Guest chatty66

hi lisa... as long as you have level 1,2 and 3 , and all the competences you should be alright..there are different levels of stylist you can apply for ie. employee, principal etc... i was told to just get the basic level so you are registered , but i think if you are empolyed on a contract the better your registration the more your paid!!.. you also get a tool allowence and lunch paid for... crazy!!..good luck!

Guest chatty66

hi... yes its all done weekly.. when i worked in the city i got $850 a week.plus tool allowence.. i now work casual ..30 hrs per week and i earn 25 per hour.. the wages are not great and dont make up for lack of tips... but thats hairdressing for you!!..

Thankyou, It at least gives me an idea what to expect. I'll have to look out for the timed ones, I used to have to do so many in a day and there is no job satisfaction in it at all. The whole point is to personalise your work and if we can't do that we may as well be in a factory. why else do we do it,if not for the love of the job. Certainly has never been the cash!

I hate doing exams, at least with the NVQ's you are assessed and the tests now are mostly done on-line so its quite easy to compared what is use to be like. I'm sure you will be fine Sharon, i suppose its what models you have to get, i think i would be nervous about that part of it

Tania X

I don't think i could answer all about the bonds and them tail things anymore Ha Ha

You'll be fine Sharon, its probably just everything building up, once you get on that plane just forget about everything

Tania X

:skeptical:untill we have to come home because we cannot either of us get work that we have been qualified for 20 years + sorry im having major stressies... thanks for the support! x

Guest chatty66

hi sharon... its really not that bad... hundreds take the exams everyday and have no probs... it will all fall into place,,, its the worst time for you now..leaving one life and not having another one setup ,,, it will be fine i promise..the first time you watch the sun set over the ocean you will know why you put up with all the stress!!!

Hi,

Just wanted to add myself to the thread as I am looking to apply within the year, got a couple of questions.

I'm a Vidal Sassoon trained hairdresser, working in a salon in London as self-employed, I have just done my 3rd year on the floor, I know I need to have 4. I have Sassons diplomas and NVQ2.

I was wondering when I should get my paperwork together for the TRA or, do I have to wait for the 4 years to pass?. Also anyone know of good salons to think of working in and how much you can make?.

Look forward to any advice!

Hi why don't you give Go-Matilda a ring and just get some info from them, i started my process back in 2007 so obviously i don't know if things have changed now, also i have 20 years experience, at least you will get the right advice and then you can start planning

Best of luck

Tania X

Guest chatty66

hi.. i have heard that hairdressing has been taken off the top required jobs list for immigration... sorry..but as i say i heard this from a client so might not be accurate..i,m sure you can check with a migration agent

I heard hairdressing has or will be taken off the list but I still see a couple of jobs advertised for senior stylists most days, admittedly this is in Brisbane CBD and a few dotted around the suburbs. Just type hairdresser or senior stylist into Seek.com don't choose a location just press seek, I just had a quick look and there was at least 20 jobs advertised nationally for our trade just for Thursday alone so there is plenty of work still out there....

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the site and getting myself a bit confused!!!

I've been reading some threads on Hairdressing courses in Australia and I'm looking for advice from anyone that has completed a course in Sydney.

Could anyone recommend a college in Sydney, I believe the best college to enrol in would be one with a salon so you get the work experience required - I'm eventually hoping to obtain a PR to be near my brother in Sydney.

Sorry I know there has probably been lots of threads about hairdressing but the further I read into them the more confused I get :yes:

Thanks

Lesley

Guest Julie495

Hi another hairdresser here from Liverpool, 25 yrs qualified (thats flew over lol) submitted 176 visa feb 5th, going to Perth. this is a great thread thank you.

Archived