Longer Working Hours = Less Family time

Guest Dave53

Its true..In the Uk I worked a 37hr standard week..Here is 40hrs and probably more like 45-50hrs which is expected...In Australia there is more of a do what has to be done attitude to working..then again there is the work hard play hard atttiude as well...

In the UK I also worked 37.5 hours and here is 40 per week with only a 30 min break, however, because I am full time, I get an accrued day off each month. Hubby's on call rota is better, in the UK he got called out at all hours, middle of the night, early morning (and expected to go into work usual time next day), here he's been told, not to go out after 9pm which is so much better. He can actually relax and have a beer now after 9pm knowing he doesn't have to drive anywhere.

Ali

So long as they pay overtime, I don't mind. I'm contracted to work at least 40 hours a week here in UK but in reality I sometimes do 60 hours without any extra pay. At the end of the day I'm just thankful for a job which are becoming rare in my profession.

Guest angela m

Last week my OH worked nearly 100 hours over 6 days, he is expected to do 16 hour days

as a norm (gets up at 4am and back home around 8.30 pm, generally 5 day per week) and although he is paid for all hours, I'm sure that it's killing him!!

However, he needs to keep in this line of work to get us into Oz - so the Oz 40 hours working week, will be a god send!!

As a nurse in the UK if I did extra shifts at the hospital I worked at they tried to avoid giving you overtime, enouraging you to take the time back, (only they were always too short staffed to take it!!), here at least they're up front and offer overtime if you work extra

Ali

Guest fatpom
So long as they pay overtime, I don't mind. I'm contracted to work at least 40 hours a week here in UK but in reality I sometimes do 60 hours without any extra pay. At the end of the day I'm just thankful for a job which are becoming rare in my profession.

"So long as they pay overtime...." Often not the case except for entry level trades. The expectation that you will work a regular 50+ hour week without overtime pay is becoming more & more a national disease I'm afraid. If you don't conform, you can expect non too subtle hints at about finding your future elsewhere.

Yes, unfortunately I think you're right Fatpom... this kind of behaviour only works negatively for companies though. I've worked amongst many disgruntled employees and they do find ways of repaying the company for their unfairness.

• 2 months later...
Guest tracy.grinsell

Hi, just noted you live in leeming, we are hoping to migrate to perth and have been told leeming and bull creek are lovely areas for family's. We have 4 children ranging from 18-7 years can you tell us if you think this would be a good suburb for us

Hi Tracey, I think Leeming and surrounding suburbs are really nice (but guess I'm biased!). We have two children 12 and 7 and they love it - they walk to and from school with each other. The schools in the area(s) have good reputation. For us the location is great 15 mins from the city and 20 mins from Freo (outside rush hour), so not too far from anything. Not many pubs/clubs for the older teens, but again not far from the city $25 back in a taxi and Freo (not got a taxi from there yet!!). We stumbled across Leeming by chance and love it here.

Ali

Getting back on track with this thread. I'm contracted to do 42hrs per week, but usually do around 45 with no extra pay or time off for it. When we do stocktake it puts the working week up to about 60hrs for which they give you the time back to take. Too tight to give you any money. The problem is you can't always take it when you want cos we're too short staffed. I have one work mate who is leaving this week, with no sign of a replacement for a while, so I'll have twice as much work to do with no thanks extra pay or nothing. My company is so tight that they will take about 2-3 months to replace him and think they've done well cos they've saved some money. All they have done and do all the time is frustrate the staff and expect more and more from them. I was going to stay there until we moved but now I'm looking for a way out.:realmad:

I just hope it's better over in Oz.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. I feel better now.

The Tuckers

Guest angela m

Hi Tuckers

I know what you mean, we're in a very simular situation here. The more you do, the more they take and expect. (all for free and no thanks)

But like most people, we've ended up in the old catch 22 situation, needing the job to afford to live, etc.

I just hope that it is better in Oz and that we wont be just jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, with the expense of air fares and shipping to top it all off!!

Angela

Guest angela m

Just found out today, that in Oz, office workers are apparently lovingly known as Shiny Bums!! He He

Guest neil smith

Wow 100 hours, what does he do? I used to think I was hard done by with 70-80 hrs I was running a pub/ restaurant.

Guest angela m

He's an air conditioning engineer and can easily spend 6 hours getting to and from jobs each day (Although I'm sure one day he is going to tell me he has a second family and he was just telling me he was working !!He he)

Thankfully, lately it's eased off a bit, but he's still working about 70 hours.

Archived