Travelling to Oz overland?

thekevjones

i have this mad idea to spend 3 months or so travelling to oz overland (and sea obviously in parts) rather than flying. My wife isn't convinced.

Has anyone ever emigrated from uk to oz and done something similar?

If so i'd love to hear how it went....

Cheers

kev

hi kev ... I know there is a bus that does exactly that !!!! .... Think its more for students as you would probably be roughing it a bit lol ....costs around £3000 and would not be advisable if you have children ..... But if its just the 2 of you ..it might be quite an adventure !!!! .... I personally agree with your wife lol .....

Mrs keily

Guest John Sydney

I met a guy in Singapore 30 years ago who had travelled over land from london to Singapore using the Public buses and trains and ferries. It was his second trip overland This was a "Quick trip" took six weeks. You can still do it today but the problem arises crossing Afghanistan, Burma Iran Iraq But apart from those should be pretty easy. There is thousands of backer packer "expert" travellers on the way to point you in the right directions

Best to buy a lonely Planet guide book They used to do one call "Cross Asia on a shoestring" must be a modern one out now

I hate to do it on a bus from london to Singapore I go nuts

We do have a little one actually, which makes life a lot more awkward. Our adventure, back packing days seem over, at in the short term...

My 'cloud like' dream was more VW camper, hit the road and see where we end up!

I think we'll probably end up enduring the 24hrs flight though. In fact, as a compromise we might travel half way, have a weeks or two holiday (SE Asia) then do the rest to break it up!

Kev

Guest proud2beaussie

Charley Boorman did exactly the same thing for a recent BBC television series called Ireland To Sydney By Any Means,and it wasn't all plain sailing! if you haven't seen it yet I suggest getting on to

BBC Worldwide and asking if it's on DVD yet,might convince you one way or the other.

Through Europe into Russia then the trans-siberian express in China than a shorter flight might be a compromise.

How cool would that be for a 1yr old...

BTW I seen Borman and was soooo jealous!! Like most of you say though with a kid ain't the best idea.

Kev

You s*d!!!!

One of my ambitions is to travel on the Trans-Siberian Express AHHHHHHHHH

Never mind.

I have to say though I think that travelling with a little'un will bring you some fab experiences, because most other cultures are more respectful of families and will go out of their way to help you, and other kids will love it too, language no barrier!!

Just becareful of jippy tummy!!!!

(And if you child has blue eyes!!!! even more amazing!!!)

Sue x

Archived