How long to allow for security etc at heathrow????

AnxiousMum

Hi Guys,

I have a strange question. We are arguing over what time to call the taxi from our house to Heathrow when we go to Oz in March.

I have booked it for 6am, it will take no longer than 2 hours (as long as no incidents) to get there. But someone has told me that getting through Passport Control and Security is a nightmare and it took them 3 hours. Our flight is at 11.20am, so what time do we get taxi for. I am beginning to think 5.30am. Has anyone else had a nightmare getting through security etc at Heathrow, any suggestions? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest julie2g1b

hi there, we flew at 10pm and still very busy but did not have that long to wait and they even went through all our bags well 3 flight bags that were very full :biglaugh:i had tablets in mine and my 2 girls had left there water in even though got rid of all the drinks ahhhhhhhhhh made me feel horrid thought they would tell us off but he was very nice and said for them to drink it quick save waisting it.

that took about 15mins but then went straight down to plane ....................

the roads into the airport were mad as we got there at 6pm went on national express so would leave plenty of time as there was road works then and you never know if there's a pile up .................

if you need a drink you can buy once through pass port control and security just before you board i did not know this and waisted loads of money before hand as had to throw away ....................

julie :wubclub:

They often dont open the check in for a flight until 3 hours before departure so getting to the airport much before that isnt going to be worth while. Going through security isnt a big deal, I dont know where they got that from. If you have nothing to worry about - no scissors, knives, liquids (unless in plastic bags) etc then you just go through the x ray machines and it doesnt take very long at all. Biggest queue will be for check in when you and 600 other people will be wanting to check in your baggage. The lighter you travel the easier it will be - take as little as possible on the plane and you will just walk through.

I have been taken aside a couple of times because I have been closest to the X on the floor when they needed to pick a random traveller - had a full body x ray once and an explosives swab of my bag another. Usually if they do that to you though, they walk you to the head of the queue. I always have more than enough time to peruse the shops in the departure lounge, and have a coffee, and read a book ....

I'd say your biggest worry would be a pile up on the motorway but at 6am you might be OK

They often dont open the check in for a flight until 3 hours before departure so getting to the airport much before that isnt going to be worth while. Going through security isnt a big deal, I dont know where they got that from. If you have nothing to worry about - no scissors, knives, liquids (unless in plastic bags) etc then you just go through the x ray machines and it doesnt take very long at all. Biggest queue will be for check in when you and 600 other people will be wanting to check in your baggage. The lighter you travel the easier it will be - take as little as possible on the plane and you will just walk through.

I have been taken aside a couple of times because I have been closest to the X on the floor when they needed to pick a random traveller - had a full body x ray once and an explosives swab of my bag another. Usually if they do that to you though, they walk you to the head of the queue. I always have more than enough time to peruse the shops in the departure lounge, and have a coffee, and read a book ....

I'd say your biggest worry would be a pile up on the motorway but at 6am you might be OK

Singapore check in 5 minutes you can book your seats on line and print your boarding cards

Mally

Hi Guys,

I have a strange question. We are arguing over what time to call the taxi from our house to Heathrow when we go to Oz in March.

I have booked it for 6am, it will take no longer than 2 hours (as long as no incidents) to get there. But someone has told me that getting through Passport Control and Security is a nightmare and it took them 3 hours. Our flight is at 11.20am, so what time do we get taxi for. I am beginning to think 5.30am. Has anyone else had a nightmare getting through security etc at Heathrow, any suggestions? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesnt take that long , we booked in the servisair lounge free drinks snacks comfy seats and tellys to while away the hour or 2

Mally

Guest JoanneHattersley

I always think that if I have to check in 3 hours before....I like to ensure that I am there an hour before that. That way I am covered. We flew at 1415 on a monday and stayed at the Heathrow Hilton the night before! No hassles then!!

Archived