Melbourne, Mount Martha. Family needing information.

Guest Emma&Rich

Guest Emma&Rich

Hi. Any opinions, advice would be greatly recieved.

We are in the first stages of seriously considering selling up and making a new life in OZ.

We have managed to pin point Mount Martha as our destination for our young family, for it's Schools, community, beaches and reasonably priced homes. We would very much appreciate your views on this area.

My husband is a skilled plasterer, own business. From the info and the visa check he took and passed; his trade skills are highly required... Is this true? How easy do you think it would be to get a job?

I have loads of questions, but I think so far these are some of the most important we'd like your views on.

Kind regards,

Emma & Rich. x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Emma and Rich

Lovely to hear from you and congratulations on taking the big step to move to Oz. Mount Martha is a lovely place and I am sure your husband will find lots of work around the SE at the moment.

Lovely relaxed place, and near all the Peninsula wineries etc. Tollway (and free roads too if you want) from Frankston gets you up to the city pretty well. My nephews kids went to Mount Martha Primary School and loved it. Big shopping complex at Frankston not that far away. Lovely main street of Mornington nice too.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks very much for replying. We really appreciate it!

Emma. xx

Hi Emma,

Sorry im not much help to you but to say that we have looked at many areas in melbourne and keep coming back to mt Martha. We are an Irish couple with a little girl (3), we aer a little into the process. My skills are currently being assessed and we hope to make the full application by end of march 09....maybe get to see Mt Marta in March 2010.

It sounds far away but its a bit move and lots need to be planned. Initially we would just go for, or at least tell everyone that we were going for a year, and see how we liked it, but fingers crossed its a great as I remember and we stay forever!

Karl

We have a baby and had our visas granted just before Christmas so are desperately questioning everyone on the forums about these areas too. Mount Martha and Mornington stand out but are pretty far from CBD but thanks for asking this question as it gives us more insight into the area as we are getting lost in all the mixed responses about every area!!!

Good luck with your decision and the whole visa process. It is a trying time so you are doing the right thing asking as many questions as possible.

Hi. Any opinions, advice would be greatly recieved.

We are in the first stages of seriously considering selling up and making a new life in OZ.

We have managed to pin point Mount Martha as our destination for our young family, for it's Schools, community, beaches and reasonably priced homes. We would very much appreciate your views on this area.

My husband is a skilled plasterer, own business. From the info and the visa check he took and passed; his trade skills are highly required... Is this true? How easy do you think it would be to get a job?

I have loads of questions, but I think so far these are some of the most important we'd like your views on.

Kind regards,

Emma & Rich. x

Hi there,

We have lived in Mornington for 6 years just one area up from Mount Martha but have close ties to that area. What can i tell you about it, lovely place great beaches good schools our children went to Benton Junior college although that is in Mornington but mount martha primary is good also osbourne primary.

We are currently in uk at mo so not to sure of work over there but hubby was a contracts administrator for residential and commercial properties based in and around Frankston and was always looking for contractors for various stages of work, but like i said we return the end of march not sure what we are going back too though!!

any questions fire away!

trisha

Hiya Ollie, what is the weather like in the winter in melbourne ?? does it get quite cold ??

Lynne

Hi Lynne,

Having lived in London as well for a few years, I would say that what I find is the main difference is that we get bursts of cold weather, followed by some mildness, maybe sunny and crisp from June to August, some rainy days. The cold can be like London at night, maybe down to about 8C and during the day around 15-18C. Some frosty mornings with that. I was in London around November in 2007 when it was crisp and sunny, and that can be similar to Melbourne. Because we are so far south, like Tasmania, we are the two States which get the cooler climates, but on the other side of the scale we find the summers have been getting much hotter (as the bushfires have sadly reminded us - it was 45-48C in Victoria when this happened). The seasons are more noticeable than say Queensland which has only the wet and dry season. We don't get as much humidity as the North either, anything past Sydney and it can affect you if you don't like humidity. The odd day/night here or there but it is normally 'dry' heat. I would say some advice about living here: make sure you have heating and cooling in your house, you will certainly need both down here!! And it is changeable - hot one minute, rain and thunderstorms the next in summer. However,

it is a pleasant place to live and I've been around the world a bit.

There are plenty of shopping complexes, beaches, restaurants, parks , theatre and concerts (all the big names stop here, and some of them have houses here too - even Harry Potter I believe!!) I guess of all the cities it is the most like London, more or less. Not as ritzy as Sydney, more a nice place to raise a family, quieter life, but not boring by any means. I don't think so anyway. There are lots of Brits around too, we are used to hearing Brit accents, they are at my work, and in the shops, most find that the natives are friendly overall.

I was born here will be buried here...

Hope this helps, good luck with it all,

kind regards

Olly

Archived