Booking flights for the big move.

alimal

Hi

We are about to book our flights for the big move to Perth for the end of April. (We being 2 adults and two boys aged 6yrs and 4yrs)

We have found cheap flights with both Quantas and Emirates with take off and arrival times that suit us. Has anyone used either of these airlines? Does anyone think one is better than the other for flying with children for instance or any other reason?

Do you know if these airlines allow extra baggage? We believe Quantas does but are not sure about Emirates.

We would be most grateful for any quick replies as we are hoping to book by the end of today.:biggrin:

Ali and Mal

Guest julie2g1b

hi there sorry cant help as we flew with singapore in nov for our recci and would not fly with anyone else they were fantastic with our children and everything we ask for we booked through netflight.com.

as for baggage you will have to contact the airlines as they have not long changed the way they do things now but if they do allow you extra always get an email with proof to take with you when you go as they have been know to change there minds once there.

good luck with your move down under

julie :wubclub:

hi there sorry cant help as we flew with singapore in nov for our recci and would not fly with anyone else they were fantastic with our children and everything we ask for we booked through netflight.com.

as for baggage you will have to contact the airlines as they have not long changed the way they do things now but if they do allow you extra always get an email with proof to take with you when you go as they have been know to change there minds once there.

good luck with your move down under

julie :wubclub:

Thanks Julie

We had heard that Singapore Airlines are good but their site is down this weekend so we cannot get a price. We just might have to wait and check out their flights.

Ali and Mal

Hi

Having used both Quantas & Emirates i would def recommend Emirates. They were really good, comfortable planes good food and fantastic entertainment.

Quantas were ok but you will probably find that though you have booked Quantas it will actualy be a BA flight and i do not rate BA at all.

If you write to to emirates and include a copy of your visa they will grant you extra baggage allowance. They also have a great rewards scheme called Skywards that both adults & kids can join and build up points.

Good Luck & enjoy your new life in Perth.

Emma

x

Guest carkyde

Hi Ali

If you have a 175 visa you should contact IOM International Organisation of Migration. We booked our flights with them and it worked out about £400 each cheaper and we get 40kgs of baggage each. When we got our visa there was some info about what to do next, I emailed IOM for a price and then spoke to them to book.

Worth a try. Caroline

Hi Ali

If you have a 175 visa you should contact IOM International Organisation of Migration. We booked our flights with them and it worked out about £400 each cheaper and we get 40kgs of baggage each. When we got our visa there was some info about what to do next, I emailed IOM for a price and then spoke to them to book.

Worth a try. Caroline

WOW! £400 cheaper per person that would be great as the flights we are looking at are about £440 per person. lol:biglaugh: But we will still check it out thanks.

Ali and Mal

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi! I definately agree with Julie... Singapore airlines are fantastic! I have not flown with Emirates yet but briefly flew with Qantas and they are very good (but like Emma has said... you can't always guarantee you're actually on a Qantas flight and not a BA flight).

Singapore airlines would get my vote or maybe Emirates...

Lots of Luck!!!

Dan :-)

Someone posted that Emirates now only allow extra baggage if you book via moving planet. IOM - use only Quantas, we looked at this a couple of years ago and whilst it was slightly cheaper than Singapore - the flight times weren't what we wanted.

In general extra baggage allowance is given if you are on a PR visa - sadly the 457 is classed as temporary. It also has to be the first time you're travelling to validate the visa.

Ali

Guest carkyde

Hi Ali

We have booked with IOM and are flying Qantas and Singapore Airlines, so they must have expanded their carriers. C

Guest Ali1963

Hi, we have 2 boys aged 4 and 6 and have used Emirates a few times and they would be our preferred carrier because of the shorter (!) flying time, quick change in Dubai and the boys love their in flight entertainment, which keeps them occupied for the duration!

Guest graham c

Hi, I had the following emails from emirates and singapore recently hope these help:

Singapore - Passengers emigrating to Australia are entitled to double baggage allowance providing they are holding the correct visa.

The visa must be an unused/unstamped migrant visa that statesto remain in Australia indefinitely. If you are holding this visa you will be entitled to double baggage allowance on production of the visa at check in.

You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing no one single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight. This is a health and safety requirement.

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above then the checked baggage allowance would be 20 kilos.

Singapore Airlines policy on cabin baggage allows you to carry one item of cabin baggage only, per passenger, which must not weigh more than 7 kilos and must not exceed 115cm in dimensions (height + depth + width). Apart from your 7 kilos, you can also carry any one personal item as mentioned below :

A lady’s handbag

An overcoat

An umbrella or walking stick

A laptop or notebook computer

A small camera

A reasonable amount of reading material for the flight

Emirates - We currently have a promotion running with which gives you an entitlement of 30kgs extra baggage allowance, that's 50kgs in total. You can access details of the offer by logging in as a member on the Moving Planet website, however this is subject to various controls:

It is valid for UK departing passengers holding British passports only.

The passenger must hold a valid migration visa stating over 1 year stay.

It is not valid if you have a stopover (exit the airport) in Dubai or anywhere else on the way.

Tickets must be one-way (no return date or open returns).

You must NOT have entered the country on the visa already.

Hi, we have 2 boys aged 4 and 6 and have used Emirates a few times and they would be our preferred carrier because of the shorter (!) flying time, quick change in Dubai and the boys love their in flight entertainment, which keeps them occupied for the duration!

Hi

Thanks for your reply. We have decided to go with emirates as it seemed the quickest route and also had good arrival and departure times. Price wasn't bad either.

By the way, my name is Ali, born in 1963 and I have 2 boys aged 4 and 6. How funny is that. lol:biglaugh:

Ali x

Guest graham c

Hi, I spoke to someone today at the International Organsiation for Migration (IOM) and they do special flights for migrants around the world. He quoted me £540 for a one way flight to melbourne with quantas, it also allowed for 40kg baggage per person. PM me if you want his phone number, their UK office is based in london

We are off to melbourne in April and personally having two young boys I prefer the in flight entertainment offered by Emirates over Quantas

regards graham

Guest carkyde

Graham we booked with IOM just to forewarn you there is a booking fee on top of the quoted price, I think it is about £60 per person, but it still worked out cheaper. We are flying to Adelaide on 9th Feb but are going to Melbourne on 13th Feb - long story!!!!

Just wanted to let you know about the booking fee, Baris will tell you just before you book!!!! Also there are limited number of seats allocated to IOM so I would book if the date suits.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. We have decided to go with emirates as it seemed the quickest route and also had good arrival and departure times. Price wasn't bad either.

By the way, my name is Ali, born in 1963 and I have 2 boys aged 4 and 6. How funny is that. lol:biglaugh:

Ali x

Hi Ali - personally I think Emirates is good - we have now flown with them to Oz four times - If you have PR you will be entitled to double the baggage allowance.

Whereabouts in Perth are you heading to?

Kx

Whereabouts in Perth are you heading to?

Kx

Hi K

We will be renting in Willetton. Where abouts are you? If you are close we could meet up and you could show me all the good dog friendly walks.

By the way, are there more restrictions on off leash walking than there is in the UK. I ask because mine are never on the lead - just something else they will have to get use too I suppose.

Ali x

Hiya Ali, enjoy your flights over here x

Thanks janette, I'll try but I hate flying. It was bad enough last time but this time we will have the kids with us. Shame we can't send them in the crates and sit the dogs on the seats next to us. (Only kidding before you all start)

Ali X

Guest prettyinpink
Thanks janette, I'll try but I hate flying. It was bad enough last time but this time we will have the kids with us. Shame we can't send them in the crates and sit the dogs on the seats next to us. (Only kidding before you all start)

Ali X

ha ha I know where you are coming from!

You're dogs should be fine off the lead as long as they are under control (I would imagine that goes without saying for your 2). There are plenty of parks around and dog friendly beaches to go to. My brother who lives in Willetton goes to South Beach and a portion of that is dog freindly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Soph and Ju

Can anyone tell me the website address for IOM and is there a link on there for booking cheap flights and getting extra baggage allowance. I typed IOM into google and it didnt seem to be anything to do with emigrating to australia!?

Archived