What can Perth offer?

Guest Galmondo

Guest Galmondo

Hi, please bear with me but this is my first time of using a forum and have several questions I'd like to ask.

We have just been issued our 175 visas and are planning to move to WA around July 2009. We'll be staying with family initially in Perth but would like to know about the surrounding area. My partner (Gary) and I (Maxine) have a young son (Eddie) of 6 months old and would like to settle in a small, up & coming town - any suggestions? Gary is a skilled sheetmetal worker/foreman and our other consideration is where he would get best paid for his skill?

Hope someone can offer some advice.

M

Hi M,

Welcome to the forum. Firstly, western Australia is a very big place! If Perth isn't for you there would be a number of other areas that may well suit you.

Have a look at Bunbury, Busselton, Albany and possibly Geralton as major centres outside of Perth and Madurah. Albany is lovely but not as warm as Perth or Bunbury. It really depends on what you are looking for interms of work and how much of a quiet / country feel you want to have. Some of the other towns will be very quiet!

Tim.

Guest julie2g1b

hiya we stayed at secert harbour was beautiful and all area's around it i loved port kenerdy but all of perth was awsome.

it was about 45mins drive to perth and is south of the river best thing is have a look on Australia migration - suburb profiles, accommodation, schools, real estate, jobs in Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Darwin and Hobart has some good info on area's

have a fab new life down under and if perths not for you then you can always move elsewhere in oz.................................

julie :wubclub:

Hi, please bear with me but this is my first time of using a forum and have several questions I'd like to ask.

We have just been issued our 175 visas and are planning to move to WA around July 2009. We'll be staying with family initially in Perth but would like to know about the surrounding area. My partner (Gary) and I (Maxine) have a young son (Eddie) of 6 months old and would like to settle in a small, up & coming town - any suggestions? Gary is a skilled sheetmetal worker/foreman and our other consideration is where he would get best paid for his skill?

M

G'day mate. Irrespective of the State you choose to live in, remember that one third of your time is work, one third rest/sleep and then there is pleasure time...Choose a place that can give you the last. No good enjoying a place that does not have the necessary facilities, hey? An example would be, say, sport for the family...imagine living in a town with no cricket ground, or no playing fields. Imagine, (God forbid), living in an area with no fishing on the doorstep:arghh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest earlswood

Perth for me was as boring as hell and quite loutish graffeti etc (Northbridge and Freemantle) where I lived.

Try Bunbury further South which seems much better.

Guest PommieLady
Perth for me was as boring as hell and quite loutish graffeti etc (Northbridge and Freemantle) where I lived.

Try Bunbury further South which seems much better.

I agree, although I didn't live in the city centre, had similar experience of Perth, plus the driving!!!!!

I would suggest not moving north of Perth (Geraldton) though, do you really want a five hour drive just to get into the city? I lived there for a while, tis okay for a short break though.

Guest PommieLady
other consideration is where he would get best paid for his skill

Also wouldn't suggest mining (north of the state) area's where your hubby could potentially earn a fortune. Not only is it expensive to rent/buy but the life style isn't conducive to quality family life. Lots of women end up with mental health problems as they move there with hubby, knowing no one, small child to care for and a partner that works very long hours. On days off it is then 'normal' for the men folk to drink heavily and indulge in playing with their toys (not in a rude way) not spending time with the family. Let alone how far away you are from the rest of the world (closer to Bali I think, than Perth).

For areas around perth - have a look at www.aussiemove.com which gives you lots of info on suburbs. As Tim said WA is so vast. I've been on holiday to Bussleton, which was lovely but for me - a holiday place rather than somewhere to live. We have a few members down in Bunbury and I've heard lots of good things about that area.

When you say the surrounding area how far away from Perth do you mean? Places like Fremantle, Joondalup, Rockingham & Mandurah are separate towns from Perth but essentially absorbed into the urban sprawl - they do all have distinct identities though.

Other people have mentioned Bunbury, we've not been but I read yesterday that it is the fastest growing town in WA so it might be what you are looking for - a 2-3 hour drive from Perth.

Jules

Also wouldn't suggest mining (north of the state) area's where your hubby could potentially earn a fortune

You need experience you need all the tickets which cost a fortune and bottom jobs pay nowt $22 for fifo , plenty of sheetmetal welder jobs but the job market is shrinkin fast

. Not only is it expensive to rent/buy but the life style isn't conducive to quality family life. Lots of women end up with mental health problems as they move there with hubby, knowing no one, small child to care for and a partner that works very long hours. On days off it is then 'normal' for the men folk to drink heavily and indulge in playing with their toys (not in a rude way) not spending time with the family. Let alone how far away you are from the rest of the world (closer to Bali I think, than Perth)

M

be careful

JAWS%20shark%20attacks%20woman.jpg

Guest earlswood
Old news Earlswood, everyone know's you hated Northbridge, so please tell us something we don't know???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I did not hate Australia at all, just my opinion but I just found it overrated and nothing like the hype it gets back here, I have posted loads on the good things I enjoyed over there and will answer any question honestly about any part of Perth including it’s good and bad points, I have been there and can honestly say I speak as I found it.

Australia works great foe some but lots do struggle and it is unfair when they are attacked by what seem like a hungry pack of wolves if anything negative is posted even in the “going back to the UK forum”

People neef the good and the bad or they might just be disappointed going unarmed.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Earlswood is right, we need the good and bad! Everyone does in order to get a balanced view. Whats good for one is not always good for another

Guest earlswood
Earlswood is right, we need the good and bad! Everyone does in order to get a balanced view. Whats good for one is not always good for another

Thanks Johatts, I am glad Oz has worked for you and so many on here, but there are some who prefer the UK and need reassurance from people who have come back that it still the place they left and the Daily Mail still vomits its biased hatred of anything not 100% British….the UK and Oz are the Countries most people in the world would love to live in (actually worldwide the UK comes top) we should just be thankful we have the chance to live in either Country.

Guest Galmondo

Cheers for all your replies. We are not tied to any part of Oz, Perth will be our landing point due to family being there. Our initial thoughts are to move out of Perth Central in to one of the smaller suburbs. As for work, like everyone, Gary will be looking for the best paid for his skill, but must achieve the enjoyment level he is after too. Bunbury is already on our radar, along with Mindarie and Busselton - any comments re: work, properties, schools and the area etc?

Thanks again

Max

Hi Max

We visited Bunbury on our rekkie in June. I thought the town centre was really nice. We didn`t look at any suburbs. A local told us that there are big plans to develop the coast near the town over the next 25 years the way Mandurah has been developed. So have a look at Mandurah as well.

Good luck.

Sue x

Guest PommieLady
there are some who prefer the UK and need reassurance from people who have come back that it still the place they left....

….the UK and Oz are the Countries most people in the world would love to live in (actually worldwide the UK comes top) we should just be thankful we have the chance to live in either Country.

I love your honesty and appreciate your candidness and the information is as valid as when you wrote it the first time.:notworthy:

I must admit though before I emigrated I would have thought it was biased rubbish.

Your right about not only our opportunity to live in both the UK and Oz, but that its okay to move (common for migrants) and its okay to want to go back to your home country.

My mom has lived in Switzerland for about 20 years and whilst she loves it (and hey it is a great place to live) she can't wait for her husband to retire so she can move back to the UK. She misses the culture, sense of humour and shared history.

I just miss the pub :laugh:

I did not hate Australia at all, just my opinion but I just found it overrated and nothing like the hype it gets back here, I have posted loads on the good things I enjoyed over there and will answer any question honestly about any part of Perth including it’s good and bad points, I have been there and can honestly say I speak as I found it.

Australia works great foe some but lots do struggle and it is unfair when they are attacked by what seem like a hungry pack of wolves if anything negative is posted even in the “going back to the UK forum”

People neef the good and the bad or they might just be disappointed going unarmed.

You have said on numerous post that you hated Northbridge, I never said you hated Australia as a whole! I Love both countries equally for different reasons, just prefer Perth. If you think Perth is boring try Visiting Northwich in Cheshire, doesn't have 1 nightclub!!!

Archived