Will we have to re-do our driving tests?

Guest LX_RV86

Guest LX_RV86

I've just read on a document from immi.gov.au that you have to re-do your driving test after 3 months? Is this right? I've been driving in the UK for 3 years and my brother has been driving for a lot longer (about 8 years I think?) I would imagine my mum would have to re do hers as she's over 65?

I'm only asking because no one's ever mentioned this before :arghh:

hiya, i wasnt going to post on this because im no expert, and wether it varies from state to state i wouldnt know. but we are going to S.A, and as far as im aware we dont have to take australian test,from what im told we just swap english license for australian. maybe someone more informed will say im wrong(HOPE NOT!)but this is what im expecting anyway

Guest LX_RV86

Hey Pablo and Emma

Thank you :) made me feel a lot better :)

Don't think I'll be taking my car, it's just a little 11 year old Micra, brother wants to take his convertable megane though! we're looking into moving it out :)

Hey Pablo and Emma

Thank you :) made me feel a lot better :)

Don't think I'll be taking my car, it's just a little 11 year old Micra, brother wants to take his convertable megane though! we're looking into moving it out :)

hiya, i wanted to take my 4by4 ,but having read lots of threads on here re importing cars i have decided against it,there was a fellah on here a while back who had done extensive research on it,and he reckoned it was very rarely worth importing, maybe if the car is something special but hardly ever worth the hassle he reckoned,also im not buying a european car over there because they are more expensive for repairs and parts etc.so its a ford or jap for us i reckon

Guest LX_RV86

Thats something to consider too! We were looking at a renault dealership when out there, and they don't have any cars like Ross's out there, if they do there are very few! So if it needed any repairs then it'd be a fortune if possible at all!

Besides anything else, we learnt the hard way that speed cameras are more in force (ross got a speeding ticket during our recce and that was in a little toyota!) His 2L turbo would get him into a LOT of trouble :)

Thats something to consider too! We were looking at a renault dealership when out there, and they don't have any cars like Ross's out there, if they do there are very few! So if it needed any repairs then it'd be a fortune if possible at all!

Besides anything else, we learnt the hard way that speed cameras are more in force (ross got a speeding ticket during our recce and that was in a little toyota!) His 2L turbo would get him into a LOT of trouble :)

well like i say,im no expert but i put a thread on asking those who were in australia for opinions and the general consensus was japanese or ford are a lot cheaper for parts etc, im not one of those people who loves their cars, i just know mine is reliable which is why i was going to take it,but it would have been financial madness plus lots of hassle with immigration, getting it steam cleaned and registered,apparantly even the aircon has to be "evacuated"( think that was the term used ) just cba tbh

Guest proud2beaussie

Maybe I can help a little here.

Firstly there isn't an "Aussie" licence as such,each state issues it's own licence and there are diferent roads authorities in each state which means that if you move from

say,Sydney to Melbourne you would need to get a Victorian licence after a certain period of time,you don't need to do a new driving test in the new state but you have to get a new licence and that means paying a fee.

As for overseas licence holders,I have provided a few links,here:

Overseas Residents - Transport SA

International drivers

Overseas drivers - licences : VicRoads

This is by no means an exhaustive list but it gives an example of the procedure that has to be followed when coming from overseas.

As for importing vehicles into Australia-well it really is not worth the hassle,way too expensive and time consuming.

Hope this helps

N'oz

• 4 weeks later...

For the sake of keeping information in one thread, in Queensland you no longer have to take a test if you have a full UK license. I just took in my UK license, 3 forms of ID (the application form details what you need) and some money and I was issued a Qld license on the spot.

Bobbsy

Hi,

So when the the OZ state your in issues the license, what happens to all the additional licenses on there? In recent years I have had to take motorbike, then truck class C, then D2 so I can drive a minibus. Do they transfer these all over?

Any help appreciated!!

Jonathan

Archived