Guest James.S

Guest chippydude

further to my previous posts..........i`m happy to to say i now have my liscence:biggrin:

went to peer tech ,adelaide to do the wiring rules course,passed,then off to the consumer affairs office in the city the same day for the liscence.

Guest James.S
further to my previous posts..........i`m happy to to say i now have my liscence:biggrin:

went to peer tech ,adelaide to do the wiring rules course,passed,then off to the consumer affairs office in the city the same day for the liscence.

Good for you, well dne, i'm off to PEER week after next, I will post how it goes..!

Are you already working..?

James...

:jimlad:

Guest chippydude
Good for you, well dne, i'm off to PEER week after next, I will post how it goes..!

Are you already working..?

James...

cheers guys :biggrin:

not yet..........i have a couple a couple of interviews next week.

as for peer,hope it goes well for you,make sure you learn up on max demand/current carrying capacitys........there are questions in the exam also defo go to the revision day,it helped me heaps.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

can anybody say when would the DIAC starts processing 175 visa applications?

Guest James.S
hi

can anybody say when would the DIAC starts processing 175 visa applications?

They have announced that there current processing priority list will remain the same forthe next 36 months... the only thin that might happen is the CSL gets adjusted to bring certain trades back onto it.

There is a lot of press at the moment about the lack of trades in the building industry so let's hope...

All the bset,

James...

Guest tonyree

Hi there

I have a problem,has anyone gone through this new developement, i got my south australian unrestricted electrical licence then went on to transfer it to Victoria without problems and have been working for the past five months.

Now here is my challenge, i got a very good job in WA and when i went on the web to see where to apply for mutual recognition i came across an article that said that the chairman of WA electrical board has passed a clause that all electrician from overseas are to undergo an assessment in WA regardless of having a licence from other australian states.

This was because electricians from overseas were finding loopholes in other states and then transfering such licences to WA.My worry is my new employer might not be patient for me to go through another assessment before i can work on my own.Is this legal? What can i do?

Guest THE RICKARD'S

Hi Jame's

My name is Glen,Iam 35 years old and I am married with 4 children and we are hoping to emigrate to Brisbane.

I am classed as a General electrician who has gone through the vetassess process which I passed in February 09.We are about 18 month's into the whole process with an agent which has cost us £4,200 to date, which leaves the medical's and police check's to go (as far as I know)and we have sold our house,been renting for 8 month's and waiting.

To be honest with you when I read all the thread's on Poms in Oz it scare's the hell out of me and I have not got a clue what I should be aiming for.I have woked for myself for 16 year's and cover most types of electrical installation's domestic, industrial and commercial.Im not even sure what the difference is between general and special class electricians or ARTC and Vetassess, this was all advised by are agent.

Most of my work over the last 14 year's I have contracted to Shepherd Neame Brewery which I provide them with electrical installations and machine breakdown cover.

If you have any advice for a very confused electrician I would be very greatful.

Cheer's. Glen

Guest James.S
Hi Jame's

My name is Glen' date='Iam 35 years old and I am married with 4 children and we are hoping to emigrate to Brisbane.

I am classed as a General electrician who has gone through the vetassess process which I passed in February 09.We are about 18 month's into the whole process with an agent which has cost us £4,200 to date, which leaves the medical's and police check's to go (as far as I know)and we have sold our house,been renting for 8 month's and waiting.

To be honest with you when I read all the thread's on Poms in Oz it scare's the hell out of me and I have not got a clue what I should be aiming for.I have woked for myself for 16 year's and cover most types of electrical installation's domestic, industrial and commercial.Im not even sure what the difference is between general and special class electricians or ARTC and Vetassess, this was all advised by are agent.

Most of my work over the last 14 year's I have contracted to Shepherd Neame Brewery which I provide them with electrical installations and machine breakdown cover.

If you have any advice for a very confused electrician I would be very greatful.

Cheer's. Glen[/quote']

Hi Glen,

Yes i can understand your confusion as it is all quite confusing... What is your visa status firstly? are you applying under the 175 or 176 or other...

Then secondly once you have a visa the next issue will be working legally, i.e. the whole licensing game. The ARTC and Vetassess are both vehicle for assessing you skills as an electrician and from that allowing the DIAC conformation that you are applicable to apply as a skilled trade. In addition either option allows you the recogniton of prior skills, training and experiance to be able to gain a license to work as an electrician. The catch is that not all states are alike. For instance NSW will only accept the Vetassess qualification for licensing wherease SA will only take the ARTC, I am not all that sure about QLD, it was the Vetassess but I have heard on the grapevine that they have dropped it and are back only looking at the ARTC... I am not fully sure about that one though.

Regarding the license have a look online, just google electrical licensing in QLD and you should be able to find what the requirements are. In all cases you will have to complete gap training, this will include doing the AS/NZS 3000 wirig reg's course as well as possibly other aspects, in NSW for instance you have to work supevised for 12 months etc.. A lot of people take a quicker route however, you can do the wiring reg's course in SA, complete the other few things they require down there als and get a SA licence, you can then convert this license to your state under the mutual recognition scheme, however I believe that this is under review especially in WA...

So let me know what your visa status is and have a look into the licensing route, if I can be of any other help fee free to post or PM me..

All the best,

James...

Guest THE RICKARD'S
Hi Glen,

Yes i can understand your confusion as it is all quite confusing... What is your visa status firstly? are you applying under the 175 or 176 or other...

Then secondly once you have a visa the next issue will be working legally, i.e. the whole licensing game. The ARTC and Vetassess are both vehicle for assessing you skills as an electrician and from that allowing the DIAC conformation that you are applicable to apply as a skilled trade. In addition either option allows you the recogniton of prior skills, training and experiance to be able to gain a license to work as an electrician. The catch is that not all states are alike. For instance NSW will only accept the Vetassess qualification for licensing wherease SA will only take the ARTC, I am not all that sure about QLD, it was the Vetassess but I have heard on the grapevine that they have dropped it and are back only looking at the ARTC... I am not fully sure about that one though.

Regarding the license have a look online, just google electrical licensing in QLD and you should be able to find what the requirements are. In all cases you will have to complete gap training, this will include doing the AS/NZS 3000 wirig reg's course as well as possibly other aspects, in NSW for instance you have to work supevised for 12 months etc.. A lot of people take a quicker route however, you can do the wiring reg's course in SA, complete the other few things they require down there als and get a SA licence, you can then convert this license to your state under the mutual recognition scheme, however I believe that this is under review especially in WA...

So let me know what your visa status is and have a look into the licensing route, if I can be of any other help fee free to post or PM me..

All the best,

James...

Hi James

I was originally going for a 175 visa but then I was advised that the 176 skilled state sponsored visa would be the quicker option.:biglaugh:

I recieved Queensland Goverment nomination for my visa subclass 176 on the 10th of September and shortly after that I found out that any visa's lodged on or after the 23rd of september were not going to be finalised until the end of 2012. I thought I was one of the lucky one's until I realised electrician's were still off the critical skill's list.

Thank's

Glen

Hi James

I was originally going for a 175 visa but then I was advised that the 176 skilled state sponsored visa would be the quicker option.:biglaugh:

I recieved Queensland Goverment nomination for my visa subclass 176 on the 10th of September and shortly after that I found out that any visa's lodged on or after the 23rd of september were not going to be finalised until the end of 2012. I thought I was one of the lucky one's until I realised electrician's were still off the critical skill's list.

Thank's

Glen

I am also moving to Queensland but had to find a sponcor as I did not want to wait till 2012. I was applying for ENS visa but later found out after paying for the employer nomination you can only apply for this visa if you have a full licence.

I am now applying for 457 long stay visa then waiting for my 176 to got through over there.

I have done my VETASSESS back in april and found a training company in Brisbane where you can complete the gap training in 3 to 4 months (thanks to Steveo) so this is the route Im going to follow. The biggest problem is trying to find some one to sponsor you. Not easy !!!!

Here is the link of the training company HomePage

Hope this helps

Stewart

Guest THE RICKARD'S
I am also moving to Queensland but had to find a sponcor as I did not want to wait till 2012. I was applying for ENS visa but later found out after paying for the employer nomination you can only apply for this visa if you have a full licence.

I am now applying for 457 long stay visa then waiting for my 176 to got through over there.

I have done my VETASSESS back in april and found a training company in Brisbane where you can complete the gap training in 3 to 4 months (thanks to Steveo) so this is the route Im going to follow. The biggest problem is trying to find some one to sponsor you. Not easy !!!!

Here is the link of the training company HomePage

Hope this helps

Stewart

I am hoping that electrician's will be back on the CSL in the near future or I will definitely be looking at other option's. I can't really afford to take too much of a risk with such a big family and not alot of money.

Thank's.

Glen

Guest James.S
I am hoping that electrician's will be back on the CSL in the near future or I will definitely be looking at other option's. I can't really afford to take too much of a risk with such a big family and not alot of money.

Thank's.

Glen

It's funny, there is so much press about the lack of housing and the lack of trades, as well as the massive infrustructure changes that are going to have to happen to the electrical systems to cope with all the renewable energies installations being installed, but yet they still leave out the huge potential of skilled migrant sparkies.

My gut feeling is that they will tweek the CSL, hopefully quite soon.... so let's all hope...!

James...

Guest marcoos87

Hi there, I am Marc, a 22 year old male electrician from scotland currently in australia with a years working visa. I am qualified after a 3 year apprenticeship (which is recognised in europe but not australia) and in total i have 4 and a half years experience. Do you know if i qualify to apply for a recognised electrical certificate in australia and if so how do i go about getting the right tickets and qualifications to be eligible to work in australian work sites? Cheers.

Guest chris_mac
Hi there, I am Marc, a 22 year old male electrician from scotland currently in australia with a years working visa. I am qualified after a 3 year apprenticeship (which is recognised in europe but not australia) and in total i have 4 and a half years experience. Do you know if i qualify to apply for a recognised electrical certificate in australia and if so how do i go about getting the right tickets and qualifications to be eligible to work in australian work sites? Cheers.

Hi Marc

Given that you are only on a years work visa time may be against you. You would need to apply for an ARTC (Australian Rocognised Training Certificate). This is done through the TRA ( Trades Recognition Australia). If you mange to get this you then can apply to the state for a temp electrical permit, it will allow you to work an apprentice until an electrical conversion course (ozzy regs) has been completed. Then you can get the A licence.

Additionally you would need to apply for a White card which is a basic safety induction card which is required on all sites. Finally you woyuld need a recognised Australian First aid cert including resusitation.

This has took me 4 months and a lot of work and to be honest i have been very proactive in terms of getting it in such a short time. Usually 6 to 12 months is the time.

Quite a lot of hoops to jump through mate and the hoops are very high!

Good luck mate

Chris

Stay calm Glen,, yeah it takes a while to get to grips with some of the finer points of the regs out here,, but it is so similar to the UK that its not impossible,,,

I will PM my e-mail address for you to stay in contact,, as am just setting up my own company which is picking up the odd bit of work,, so may be able to offer you some when you get to Brisbane..

Guest chris_mac
Stay calm Glen,, yeah it takes a while to get to grips with some of the finer points of the regs out here,, but it is so similar to the UK that its not impossible,,,

I will PM my e-mail address for you to stay in contact,, as am just setting up my own company which is picking up the odd bit of work,, so may be able to offer you some when you get to Brisbane..

Hi TN5

Welcome to poms in oz.

Im a little surrised to your reply to Glen, obtaining electrical licences is well know to be extremely difficult in all states in Australia. You cannot work as a spark until you at least have the ARTC which is aquired through the TRA which in it self takes a lot of work. i.e proving apprenticeships, experience, references and i believe 7 years experience has to be proved. If the TRA application is successful it only lets you appy for a temp electrical permit whereas the holder has many working restrictions as to what he can and cant do. Additionally you have to further apply for the temp licence which again can take some time. On top of this Glen would need a first aid certificate incuding resus and a white card (basic safety course)

Electricians need to know what is expected so they dont land in oz expecting to start work as soon as they land. Working without any of the basic licences is illegal and could jeopardise that persons visa.

I understand that you meant well but sparks need to know whats involved.

Best wishes

Chris

Guest James.S
Hi TN5

Welcome to poms in oz.

Im a little surrised to your reply to Glen, obtaining electrical licences is well know to be extremely difficult in all states in Australia. You cannot work as a spark until you at least have the ARTC which is aquired through the TRA which in it self takes a lot of work. i.e proving apprenticeships, experience, references and i believe 7 years experience has to be proved. If the TRA application is successful it only lets you appy for a temp electrical permit whereas the holder has many working restrictions as to what he can and cant do. Additionally you have to further apply for the temp licence which again can take some time. On top of this Glen would need a first aid certificate incuding resus and a white card (basic safety course)

Electricians need to know what is expected so they dont land in oz expecting to start work as soon as they land. Working without any of the basic licences is illegal and could jeopardise that persons visa.

Best wishes

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes just to echo your comments getting all the right peices of paper is quite a slog..

However, rather than the TRA the VETASSESS route is a quicker option in NSW to get to the restricted license stage enabling him to work, but then it all slows down as getting a contractors license in NSW via VETASSESS takes flippin ages..!

All the best,

James...

Guest THE RICKARD'S
Hi TN5

Welcome to poms in oz.

Best wishes

Chris

Hi Chris Mac

I do understand from all the information how hard it is to get licences e.t.c. in Australia,but hopefully not impossible.Let's face it if you went through the correct process in the U.K. you should also have done a full apprenticeship and be experienced in what you do.

As I work for myself I would have to be upto date with the 17th edition wiring regulation's, testing and inspection, health and safety,first aid, risk assessment's and so on and the main contactor should be approved by a registered orginisation, you should not be able to work on any site without this all in place (although we all know this doe's not happen everywhere.)

For domestic work you have to be part P registered with the NICEIC or ELECSA to be able to become a domestic installer and certificate and register all your work.

As I have said before I have gone through the Vetassess process and passed my practical and theory examination in February 09,all my proof of apprenticeship,7 years experience and reference's required have been excepted and I have now recieved state sponsorship from Queensland, so hopefully just the police cfheck's and medical's to go.

It was actually a bit of a boost to here from TN5.I agree with what he said,"It is simular to the U.K. that it is not impossible." (Although it may seem harder.) Alot of other infomation on here make's the process sound complicated and impossible,but it cant be as someone is doing the job.

What would be really nice for all us spark's waiting to go to Australia would be to have someone like TN5 who has put an offer there and makes it feel a little less scary than what it sound's.

Thank's for all the help and information.

Glen.

Guest James.S
For your information guys, the TRA no longer assess Electricians. Simple as that. You cannot get the ARTC if you are an electrican.

I am fighting them at the moment as my TRA application is on hold pending the TRA LTC committees outcome later this month. The meeting is to discuss whether to convert back and assess electricians/qualifications or just leave the whole process to Vetassess.

Vetassess told me today that the OTSR is equivelent to the ARTC and that all colleges will accept it as such... BOLLOCKS.

Those who want to enroll at PEER you need the ARTC not an OSTR so dont waste your money.

If you want a quick licence you will not get one.

You have to do a year at college 3 nights a week at a cost of 3000 dollars ALSO be working and filling in an on site diary. No one will employ a middle aged apprentice with no licence so how can you fill in a diary?

No ifs or buts. Im here, doing it, been on the phone 40 hours and sent a million emails... NO CHANCE.. System stinks.

I have complained to Vetassess who are going to help me. How they will do this i do not know?

Chris Mac

Hi,

I Applied for the ARTC in mid Nov 2009, my application as an electrician is being processed and has been moved on to the LTC committee, the TRA however have been helpful, they want the LTC to do yet another assessment regardless of the fact I have already had this via VETASSESS, the TRA are arranging it for me at the nearest TAFE.

So my experiance is that yes they are not carrying out any of the assessments themselves and are forwarding everything to the LTC people, for this they sting you for another $270 ontop of the $300 or so (can't remeber exactly how much you pay to the ARTC people)..

I don't know if the ARTC are stopping processing electrical applications altogether as I haven't had that conversation with them, but I do know that they changed the application form as they returned my application as I had used the older one!

They tell me that once I have completed the assessment for the LTC through the TAFE I will get the TRA, I have already got everything done and in place for the SA contractors license as I have completed the PEER course etc...

I will post on here what the LTC say once I get to speak with them in the new year..

Bottom line is that getting a license over here makes the visa application process look like a walk in the park, it is an absolutely shocking system that seem's to change on a monthly basis... Good luck to anyone else out there trying to work through it..!

All the best,

James...

Guest chris_mac
Hi Chris Mac

I do understand from all the information how hard it is to get licences e.t.c. in Australia' date='but hopefully not impossible.Let's face it if you went through the correct process in the U.K. you should also have done a full apprenticeship and be experienced in what you do.

As I work for myself I would have to be upto date with the 17th edition wiring regulation's, testing and inspection, health and safety,first aid, risk assessment's and so on and the main contactor should be approved by a registered orginisation, you should not be able to work on any site without this all in place (although we all know this doe's not happen everywhere.)

For domestic work you have to be part P registered with the NICEIC or ELECSA to be able to become a domestic installer and certificate and register all your work.

As I have said before I have gone through the Vetassess process and passed my practical and theory examination in February 09,all my proof of apprenticeship,7 years experience and reference's required have been excepted and I have now recieved state sponsorship from Queensland, so hopefully just the police cfheck's and medical's to go.

It was actually a bit of a boost to here from TN5.I agree with what he said,"It is simular to the U.K. that it is not impossible." (Although it may seem harder.) Alot of other infomation on here make's the process sound complicated and impossible,but it cant be as someone is doing the job.

What would be really nice for all us spark's waiting to go to Australia would be to have someone like TN5 who has put an offer there and makes it feel a little less scary than what it sound's.

Thank's for all the help and information.

Glen.[/quote']

Hi Rickards

I to was a NICIEC contractor and Part P certified Installer in the uk. I did Vetassess route, applied for temp licence (qld) whilst still in the uk expeting to start work when i landed in oz.

The facts are:

TRA no longer issue an ARTC if you ar a vetasess candidate.

Vetassess certificate is for migratrion purposes only and is not recoginised as a level three cert. (it states this on the cert)

You have to do your Level III again to get the certificate.

Vet cert only allows you to apply for a temp electrical licence.

To qulaify for A licence you MUST find an employer (which with a temp licence is extremely hard)

Catch 22... You can only enrol (qld) at a TAFE or similar if you are working and can complete an onsite log for work experience proof which your employer has to certify.

White card required

First aid required.

From my experience you have to forget about the uk and quals over there, and knuckle down on the idea that you have to retrain. I tried to fight the system for a month which fell on deaf ears.

My post to TN5 was to bring awareness that you simply cant get off a plane and start work.

Anyone who is coming to the sunshine coast as a spark from the uk please feel free to pm me and i can provide good training organisation and alot of electrical contractors details for job hunting purposes.

Good luck.

Chris

You can still apply for an ARTC regardless of whether you have done VETASSESS or not. As long as you have proof of residency ie. visa in your passport , you can apply for it from the UK but you must provide an Australian address for correspondence. As long as you're not going to WA you can then go to PEER in Adelaide (or do it by correspondence from the UK) and do the wiring regs course and get an S A licence which can then be transferred by mutual recognition ( again not in WA so it seems). This seems to be the simplest , quickest and probably cheapest way as you can get work a lot faster

Guest chris_mac
You can still apply for an ARTC regardless of whether you have done VETASSESS or not. As long as you have proof of residency ie. visa in your passport , you can apply for it from the UK but you must provide an Australian address for correspondence. As long as you're not going to WA you can then go to PEER in Adelaide (or do it by correspondence from the UK) and do the wiring regs course and get an S A licence which can then be transferred by mutual recognition ( again not in WA so it seems). This seems to be the simplest , quickest and probably cheapest way as you can get work a lot faster

Hi Darren

Im afraid you are wrong. If you have done the vetasse then the TRA WILL NOT issue you with an ARTC.

I have spent months speaking with MD of DEWR and have 20 or so emails confirming that no ARTC will be issued to vetassess candiates.

The Vetassess system and the TRA are up in arms at the moment and pending a very important meeting by the LTC to determine whether the TRA should once again issue ARTC certs to vetassess candiates, OR, if vetassess should take over and issue the same.

The massive difference without the ARTC is that you have to do the whole level III electrical engineering course again apposed to doing the Ozzy regs conversion course which is half the price/

Additionally, you cannot apply to PEER without the ARTC.

Please search my older posts for emails i copied and pasted direct from DEWR explaining the situation. Im pretty much convinced that i was one of the first to be be put on hold pending the outcome of the LTC meeting.:arghh:

Regards

Chris Mac

Hi Chris, If you check out the british expats electricians forum there are cases of people doing this successfully. Specifically, check out the post by Becky723359 on Sept 11 2009. Her husband Dave did the Vetassess , then the ARTC and peer route successfully. Also, if these two organisations are like most government depts. then I bet they rarely communicate with each other so if you don't tell them you've been down the vetassess route then how are they going to know. Also , on the DEEWR website it clearly states that the ARTC is eligible for anyone who has trained overseas and is now an Australian resident (temp or perm) and makes no mention of precluding anyone who has done the vetassess. In my experience, when dealing with any large organisation it depends which class of numpty you start talking with to extract the correct information no matter high up the chain of command they are. My guess is that you've been communicating with some twits who have made a wrong decision without realising it or who don't want to admit their mistake. Regards Derren PS Chris ,how did the TRA find out you had an OTSR. Did you declare this info in your application?

Guest THE RICKARD'S

You lot are now really confusing an already confused sparky stuck in the U.K. wondering what I should be aiming to do next.As I have gone down the vetassess route,what would your advice be for someone in my position as you have all probably been in this position yourselves?

Is there any training I could be doing from this end ?

Is it worth trying to obtain the Australian wiring Regs ?

Can apply for any type of licence whilst in the U.K. ?

Cheer's

Glen