Australian citizenship

AnxiousMum

Ok I have a question for you all. If you get Australian Citizenship after being in OZ for the 4 years under perm visa. If you move back to UK, but later decide you want to go back to live in OZ. Do you have to go through all the process again with getting visas etc. Or can you go back automatically because you have citizenship?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

Australian Citizens are specifically NOT eligible for visas for Australia.

The Citizenship website is here:

Australian Citizenship

JAJ, the Moderator on British Expats, is an expert on Citizenship for Australia, the UK and everywhere else, as is Peter Chiam (ptlabs) who posts on here.

I did see a comment by JAJ that Australian Citizenship will not be conferred if the authorities consider that the applicant is using it as nothing more than a matter of personal convenience but does not (at least at that time) intend to maintain any real connection with Australia.

I think the UK suffers from the same problem. My sister moved to Oz when she was 21. However she is British by birth and by descent so she has dual British/Australian Citizenship. Despite having paid virtually no UK tax or national insurance because she was so young when she left, she could march back into the UK when she is 75 and she could demand State Benefits when she arrives.

My guess is that this is the possibility they try to guard against when conferring Australian Citizenship.

Cheers

Gill

My hubby gained aussie citizenship in 1994 & has 2 passports,

He left oz in 2002 & then returned to oz in 2006 with no worries at all.

I quite sure once a aussie citizen always one (unless you give it up yourself like you can the uk citizenship)

stuju

My hubby gained aussie citizenship in 1994 & has 2 passports,

He left oz in 2002 & then returned to oz in 2006 with no worries at all.

I quite sure once a aussie citizen always one (unless you give it up yourself like you can the uk citizenship)

stuju

I read the same yesterday. You don't lose the citizenship unless you choose to give it up.

Archived