Real Costs - Buying and Running A Car

Guest Hearne_Family

Guest Hearne_Family

Hello people,

I need help! We arrive in Melbourne in early 2009 and need someone to run through the costs of owning a car for us, reading up about it seems great if you know what a green slip is etc.

We are buying a car for around $2k, we will only require the compulsary third party insurance...what are the average costs and how do we get it, also can someone explain rego and RWC's in plain English with all costs involved as I have heard that there is a cost to transfer rego?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Terry. :noxmas:<<<My three year old wanted me to add this!!

Guest earlswood

Now petrol is 85p a litre in the UK the petrol costs are about the same...the cost of secondhand cars is very high in Oz which is frustrating...about the same over a year I would say...but where are you going to get a car for $2k dollars

istockphoto_2673309_old_russian_car.jpg

Guest Hearne_Family
Now petrol is 85p a litre in the UK the petrol costs are about the same...the cost of secondhand cars is very high in Oz which is frustrating...about the same over a year I would say...but where are you going to get a car for $2k dollars

istockphoto_2673309_old_russian_car.jpg

Hi earlswood,

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping to have someone reply with figures and costs but thanks anyway, as for getting a car for $2k we have found plenty of websites selling cars for this price so we know we will get a car, we are not too concerned about age we just want a runaround, cars are not a status symbol to us just a means to get from A to B.

Registration is about $500.00 per year, comprehensive insurance rating 1 approx $500 depending on what type of car you drive.

Study finds car running costs increased 7% in the last year | Industry | Carcentral.com.au gives you an idea of the costs.

Of course it depends where you will be living and how far you drive each day.

I am retired now and petrol for my Mazda costs me $30 - $40 a week and oh has a Toyota Corolla and costs about the same.

If you bought a large newish used car they are cheaper in comparison to the smaller models of the same age as the smaller models hold heir prices better here.

Guest Hearne_Family
Second hand cars are more expensive than the U.K

I had a look at a second hand car in Melbourne asking price was $5k

A car of a similar make and mileage in the U.K would cost £1.5k ($3.4k) or less.

I would be very careful about buying a car at anything less than $4k.

Thanks for your concern, perhaps I should have put in my original post that I have 10 years in the motor trade under my belt, I know what to look for in a car and any problems can be rectified by myself.

Terry

Thanks for your concern, perhaps I should have put in my original post that I have 10 years in the motor trade under my belt, I know what to look for in a car and any problems can be rectified by myself.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Have a peek at

Used Cars - New Cars - Search New & Used Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au its a good site (we have brought 2 cars via the site with no worries) you can search for dealers,private or both.

Also have a peek at RACV homepage - RACV this is the RACV (local breakdown for Victoria who also deal with car insurance

this is also a helpful site too Buy Car, Buying Car, Buy Used Car - Victoria - Youth Central

Good luck

stuju

Guest HappyBunny
Now petrol is 85p a litre in the UK the petrol costs are about the same...

Earls, as petrol is about 89 cents (approx. 40p) a litre here how can you say petrol costs are about the same..... am I missing something?!

Guest earlswood
Earls, as petrol is about 89 cents (approx. 40p) a litre here how can you say petrol costs are about the same..... am I missing something?!

98 cents in Perth is the cheapest at the mo, when I was there it was $1.35 which exchanged then for 78 pence.

Hi earlswood,

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping to have someone reply with figures and costs but thanks anyway, as for getting a car for $2k we have found plenty of websites selling cars for this price so we know we will get a car, we are not too concerned about age we just want a runaround, cars are not a status symbol to us just a means to get from A to B.

We have noticed a massive drop in second hand car prices around here , yes they are still more expensive than the UK but cheaper than they were 6 months ago.Hopefully prices will stay this way until you arrive. Stju gave you some great links so good luck with everything ,if you are still unsure ,just ask, rego and Medicare sure take some mind work to understand the ins and outs,lol

Cal x

Guest John Sydney

Victorian Car registering :

A second hand car will normally have registration which may expire upto a 11 months after you buy it

When buying a second hand car in Victoria

You will need to transfer the rego stamp duty about 3%

You will need a road worthy certicaite

You will see some cars advertized with "No roadworthy supplied" this either means the seller is not smart or there is something wrong with the car and it will not pass

A Non registered car will need in addtion

Number plates

Inspection

Greenslip Insurance - 3rd party

Proof of ownership

And a Revs check to see if any money is owned on the car

NB - I think you better take accident Insurance - this covers the other veheile but not your car quite cheap $100 -200 per year

3rd Party Insurance only covers Property Damage excluding other cars

Guest HappyBunny
98 cents in Perth is the cheapest at the mo, when I was there it was $1.35 which exchanged then for 78 pence.

Why are you comparing current uk prices with aussie prices several months ago? makes no sense

Guest earlswood
Cars are relatively expensive but there are no salt problems on the roads. We were going to buy a 12 year old mirage thing 180k o thr clock the guy was going to give us 3 years or 150 k warranty.

Mally

And you belived him......:laughxmas:

Archived