Long shot: any older prospective migrant up for marriage?

Guest middleagednormal

Guest middleagednormal

I hadn't thought before about doing this because it sounds so bizarre, but is there a single man out there who's perhaps thinking about migrating and would be prepared to get married? There are issues - this sort of thing, while not illegal, is a method of entry that Australia does lookout for, and rightly so. However (deep breath) it seems like my only chance - I'm a couple of years too old. And quite frankly I know the country well and would be able to fit in and make a useful contribution, it's just that the migration rules are based on statistics, which apparently say that over 45's have difficulty.

For reasons of formal compatibility, I'd be looking for somebody in his forties with a tertiary education and preferably a profession. Actually, the more I think about the implications the more problems I see. But I'm serious, not unhinged, despite the subject-matter, and I have to ask. Anyone interested in this?

Guest Rachel&Stu

What a fabulous post!!

Feel for you, am myself fast approaching 40, luckily am married to toyboy (well, age 32) so like you very conscious of age.....Just a thought - have you ever considered NZ? Reason I ask is that their immigrant rules are very similar to Australia, but their upper age limit for a skilled migrant is 55 not 45. Just a thought....

Rachel

Guest middleagednormal

Thanks for that Rachel - makes me feel not completely barmy, and oh, if I had the wherewithal to attract a toyboy too...Yes I did investigate NZ, and whereas it is spectacularly lovely, there were downsides that mean it doesn't really light my fire. Specifically, it felt phsyically small, culturally narrow - extremely Brit-dominated - not as prosperous as Australia, wet, cool and no IKEA. There are bits - the Coromandel peninsula for one - where I could happily settle and raise bees or something, given the chance, but I dunno, I just prefer the huge, ancient half-empty wilderness of Australia to the more familiar-seeming landscapes of NZ.

Guest middleagednormal

And cheers to LeanneandMark too. Thing is about single men when you get to this age is that, hoary old cliche or not, the decent ones have been snapped up and are being hung on to, even if only as insurance. But you never know I guess.

Guest luckyhorse

NZ may be your answer though... I'm pretty sure that permanent residents of NZ can live in Australia indefinetly. So you could live in NZ for two years, get your passport stamped as PR then Foxtrot Oscar off to Oz before the ink is even dry.

Worth a look. There's worse places to live than the Coromandel. Personally I reckon I could tolerate a couple of years living in Ponsonby or Mount Eden without too much trouble. Spot of ski-ing in the winter aswell... lovely!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

i can't help you with your search, but I did want to post to say how impressed I am with the responses you have received.

So many interent forums these day have posters who are rude and judgemental - I think this thread highlights what a forward thinking friendly site this is :)

Good luck with your search. i know how you feel trying to consider every avenue.

Guest middleagednormal

Yeah, they are nice aren't they? It's probably because this is a forum for the discussion of material issues rather than just for gobbing/showing off. And migration is a bit of a minefield so there's always plenty to discuss. Makes you wonder how we ever managed before the internet though.

Archived