Stress of emigrating with no house sale proves too much for Bag Enders!

Guest Bag End Bunch

Guest Bag End Bunch

Hi everyone

We finally got our visa at the end of Oct after an 11half month wait. We were very excited. We were all set to move over on Nov 28th - tickets booked, shippers organised etc. We were going to leave our house on the market till Spring and if it still hadn't sold we would rent it out. Well in the last week everything has changed. OH seriously stressed at thought of leaving house and not having any capital when we move - he was making himself ill with worry. So now we are still flying out on 28th. Going to validate our visas, have a holiday with family for 6 weeks and come back mid Jan. We'll go permenantly as soon as the house sells (who knows when that will be!)sad.gif

It sure is a rollercoaster ride!! Have been very upset at the change of plans but for us it is the most sensible thing to do in the current climate.

Alex

chin up I really feel for those who have to sell we fortunatly sold well before any probs but dont think I could go out there either with the added worry & stress of a house back in the UK you never know you may just be coming back to seal the deal in jan goodluck hope all goes well

Hi

I can totally empathise with you. We have taken our house off the market at the moment and waiting until Jan to put it back on.

If we can not sell it then i will have to defer my start date at college and we could loose money plus we have flights booked so will have to pay to change dates on these.

It is a nightmare and sooooo stressfull i don't think i have cried so much as i have in the past 3 months!:arghh:

Emma

Guest tony and sheena

Oh Alex,

You have my sympathy.

The thought of renting out my house keeps me awake at night too, but I can't see any other way. All our money to relocate is in the house too, but I still don't want to come back after validating. I know how poor Mr Bag End Bunch feels.

You're going to have to look at this as a dream holiday, and enjoy it.

Sorry things haven't worked out as you planned, a lot of us on here have been caught out by the housing market slump.:sad:

Good luck,

Sheena

Guest Scardycat

Totally understand what you mean, it must possibly be the worse time to ever emigrate. But the way I see it, anyone who can go through all the stress of the visa, then the house sale and not be put off, has more chance of making a success of it when they get there. Hope you have a really great holiday.

regards Cat

Guest Rob&Ani

We finally got our visa at the end of Oct after an 11half month wait. We were very excited. We were all set to move over on Nov 28th - tickets booked, shippers organised etc. We were going to leave our house on the market till Spring and if it still hadn't sold we would rent it out. Well in the last week everything has changed. OH seriously stressed at thought of leaving house and not having any capital when we move - he was making himself ill with worry. So now we are still flying out on 28th. Going to validate our visas, have a holiday with family for 6 weeks and come back mid Jan. We'll go permenantly as soon as the house sells (who knows when that will be!)sad.gif

It sure is a rollercoaster ride!! Have been very upset at the change of plans but for us it is the most sensible thing to do in the current climate.

Alex

:frown: Alex, I was so surprised to come across your thread. You guys were so excited when you got your Visa...what a bugger!!! Holiday for 6 weeks, in the glorious sun, should do the trick to help this rollercoaster ride of yours. A positive thing ...you have better weather down south of England compared to us guys in the Wilds of West Wales, so really hoping you will sell your house sooner than later!!!

The Bag End Bunch will soon be in Bag End no more... where the hell is Gandalf when you need him!!! lol

Ani x

Guest OldiesRUs

We are in the same boat as everyone else, can't sell the house. More or less decided to rent it out and go anyway, but there is always the worry of who is going to be in there. There are so many stories of people trashing their rented house and running up huge debts.

We are lucky in that we have no mortgage to cover, but would be reliant on the rental income. It really is a dilema after waiting for so long for the visa.

Jean:wubclub:

Guest dan&nikki

To the Bag End Bunch,

Is there no way you could add to your current mortgage to give you a helping hand when you go to Oz, rent your UK home out whilst the market is down and then think about selling it next year?

I know (depending on location) that rental properies at the moment are in demand...

I am sure you've covered all options before you've made your decision....but as i alwys say - where theres a will, theres a way!!

good luck

Nikki

Guest NewLifeDownUnder
To the Bag End Bunch,

Is there no way you could add to your current mortgage to give you a helping hand when you go to Oz, rent your UK home out whilst the market is down and then think about selling it next year?

I know (depending on location) that rental properies at the moment are in demand...

I am sure you've covered all options before you've made your decision....but as i alwys say - where theres a will, theres a way!!

good luck

Nikki

Also, if you have plenty of equity and you do want to get rid it might be looking at one of those national house buying companies. Not looked into, expect they pay well below market value so would depend if you could afford to lose a bit.

Does not look like the market is going to get any better soon. Rental is definately an option if you can find a decent agent who you feel you can trust to look after it!!

Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Best Regards

Mike & Tracy:wink:

Guest Bag End Bunch

Thanks for all your lovely encouraging responses everyone. It's nice to be able to hear from people who really know what it's like.

After all the stress I actually feel happy with our decision. I've got my head round it now. It took a while to alter my mind to coming back as all I'd been thinking about for weeks was the big move.

I think we'll feel much happier going out there with our equity rather than have ties and responsibilities back here. I feel like we're being wise and waiting (they do say all good things come to those who wait!) rather than keep going no matter what and then be overstretched when we get there. This way at least when we do arrive we will have some money and be able to rent for a while and then put down a deposit on our own Ozzie home.

Now I'm looking forward to a lovely holiday in the sunshine, seeing OH's family and watching kids boogie board in the surf! We're also going to do a lot of looking around at different areas to see what we think.

TonyandSheena - hope things work out for you. I read your thread and feel for you. Keep us up to date with your journey.

Alex

Guest nfowley

Hi,

Sorry to hear of the stress you guys are under, we know how you feel. We are in same situation, however we have 2 properties (well actually 2 1/2 as we purchased a project flat with my parents last year which we renovated and had hoped to sell this year!) So we feel pretty stuck! We have mortgages on them all so renting them out wouldn't even cover our costs. My other half wants to go next year even if it means having all 3 rented out, but I think it's too much to leave here and we couldn't really make a proper start with our lives in Oz. So we are probably going to validate (asuming we are granted our visa) next year and then wait until we sell up. I'm just trying to look at it as extra time to save and prepare for going and also seeing my family and friends! Maybe the market wil improve a bit next year, and the predictions I have seen state that prices should improve by 2012 at latest, not sure how true that is though!

Good luck with everything and enjoy your holiday! x

Guest SEFFnSARAH

Alex,

As Cat says, if you can withstand all the stress of putting off the 'big move' having already had the wait for the visa etc etc, it will definitely be worth it in the end. We don't have a house to sell having sold up 15 mths ago and we still don't have any equity to take with us so unlike me, at least you won't have that to stress about.

A 6 week holiday just after the stresses of christmas would suit me down to the ground at the moment. Just think, you will be able to look at things with a view to permanency(?) when you go and make definite plans rather than just day dreaming like the rest of us. My mum is out there for 3 months at the moment and I keep asking her to look at costs of bits and bobs, but things might still go wrong for us yet. You don't have that, so think of the positives, enjoy your holiday and we will all send positive vibes for the house

Sarah

Archived