Nursing in Perth

gareth and lisa

Hi, are there any nurses out there that can give me some advice?? I qualify in Jan 09 and have a job lined up in England, were starting the application process once i get my pin. Can anybody advise what its like nursing in Australia compared to England?? I have only ever worked for one trust so have little experience on how other areas work, do you get support?? are they flexible?? is it better than England. Iv applied for a nurses post at Joondalup health campus can anybody advise what its like there??

Regards

Lisa

:twitcy:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest17301

Hi Lisa,

Can't give you any info at the mo cos I'm still in England but I start my nursing job in Feb 09 (in Perth)

I will be happy to post on here then with my experiences but until then there are quite a few nurse on PIO who will be happy to help I'm sure.

As for Joondalup Health Campus, looks like a good place to work and they do offer sponsorship for permanent residency from the outset unlike some.

We are coming out on a 457. The opportunities in Perth are plentiful and you should have little trouble securing a position in whichever hospital you choose. I would advise having a good look at all the major hospitals and areas etc.

Good luck

Hi

I worked in Perth for a year 2 years ago. i worked in ICU at Hollywood private hospital which is owned by Ramsay health which also owns Joondalup Hospital. one of my friends works at Joondalup and enjoys it there. My son was also a patient at Joondalup and I was impressed with the hospital. When we return to Perth, when we sell our house!, I have a job lined up at ICU at The Royal Perth hospital. I enjoyed working in Perth and found it similar to working for the NHS here. The standards of care were high and there were good opportunities to go on courses. I am a RN level 9 and I earned about 1800 to 2000 dollars per fortnight, it probably is quite similar to what I earn here maybe a bit more. I found it strange when you are on the other side of the world that the same syringe pums and ventilators were used when I can go to another ICU here in Scotland and everything is different!!

All the best

Arlene

Hi, I work in Mental health, so don't know what it's like to be a SN on a general ward. My impression is that it won't be very much different for you. A lot of hospitals offer some flexibility in hours and try to be child friendly - when I worked on the ward initially here there was a self rostering system and you could more or less pick your shifts as long as the wards were covered. The 457 visa means that you will have to work full time. A lot of hospitals offer newly qualified nurses a graduate programme.

The biggest challenge for me here is that they seem to use alot of brand names for medication, I'd been used to prescribing/knowing only generic names, and they rely on mims not a BNF type book (which isn't as good in my opinion).

Ali x

Guest guest17301
That's the first time I've merged a thread .... I'm rather pleased with myself lol

Ali

Well done you! and thanks x

Hi, are there any nurses out there that can give me some advice?? I qualify in Jan 09 and have a job lined up in England, were starting the application process once i get my pin. Can anybody advise what its like nursing in Australia compared to England?? I have only ever worked for one trust so have little experience on how other areas work, do you get support?? are they flexible?? is it better than England. Iv applied for a nurses post at Joondalup health campus can anybody advise what its like there??

Regards

Lisa

:twitcy:

Hi, I work at Sir Charles Gairdner hospital in Perth. The hospitals here are desperately short of nurses! I have been there since the beginning of Feb 08. Its a good hospital to work for. They sponsored me for PR after a short while. The nursing here is not that different but in some ways very different! You get used to it after a while. My pay here is better than the uk as they gave me a promotion. They are flexible and supportive. I dont know about Joondalup health campus but im sure it will be fine. Good luck!

Nic

Thanks for the info Fiona, i live not far from you just down the M6, iv done all my training at Mid Staffs hospitals and based at Staffordshire Uni, Stafford. i would appreciate it if you keep in touch and let me know how you are getting on.

Lisa

quote=fiona1975;361848]Hi Lisa,

Can't give you any info at the mo cos I'm still in England but I start my nursing job in Feb 09 (in Perth)

I will be happy to post on here then with my experiences but until then there are quite a few nurse on PIO who will be happy to help I'm sure.

As for Joondalup Health Campus, looks like a good place to work and they do offer sponsorship for permanent residency from the outset unlike some.

We are coming out on a 457. The opportunities in Perth are plentiful and you should have little trouble securing a position in whichever hospital you choose. I would advise having a good look at all the major hospitals and areas etc.

Good luck

Hi, im working at Hollywood Hospital. Flexibility i would say definatly depends on your manager, im just changing from a ward to theatre area and my new manager is ALOT more flexible. I have heard Joondalup campus is a bit stressful as very short staffed-but so is every hospital. The public hospital system here seems very good, certainly alot of the agency staff i work with say they prefer working in the public sector. Nursing is generaly the same, a few small differences but you soon pick it up.

Guest garryhandsley

Hi Lisa

I am a newly qualified nurse, qualified in August this year and I am due to start a post graduate nursing programe in January at Joondalup Hospital. I looked around the hospital in March and it seems nice the staff are very friendly. Joondalup is lovely and so are the surrounding suburbs, we have been a few times and know the area reasonably well. I am going throught he visa process now and am just waiting for my registration with the nurses board of WA to be granted, not sure how long this takes, but am tearing my hair out waiting as we would like to be in Perth before Christmas. If anyone has been through this process ANY information would be gratefully appreciated. If I can help you anymore, let me know. Good luck with the rest of your training the end is nearly here!!!! Might see you in OZ (fingers and everything else crossed!!!)

Sharyn

Guest guest17301
Hi Lisa

I am a newly qualified nurse, qualified in August this year and I am due to start a post graduate nursing programe in January at Joondalup Hospital. I looked around the hospital in March and it seems nice the staff are very friendly. Joondalup is lovely and so are the surrounding suburbs, we have been a few times and know the area reasonably well. I am going throught he visa process now and am just waiting for my registration with the nurses board of WA to be granted, not sure how long this takes, but am tearing my hair out waiting as we would like to be in Perth before Christmas. If anyone has been through this process ANY information would be gratefully appreciated. If I can help you anymore, let me know. Good luck with the rest of your training the end is nearly here!!!! Might see you in OZ (fingers and everything else crossed!!!)

Sharyn

Hi Sharyn, my NMBWA reg took 6 weeks to come through a few months back. Good luck!

Guest garryhandsley

Hi Fiona

Thanks for that. Do you know anything about a bridging course. I havnt got a years experience because I only just qualified, although I am registered here and I am working as a Nurse now. I am worried that I won't get registration or will have to do a bridging course. I can't find any information that clarifies what they are and why anybody has to do them. Does anybody know???

Sharyn

Guest guest17301
Hi Fiona

Thanks for that. Do you know anything about a bridging course. I havnt got a years experience because I only just qualified, although I am registered here and I am working as a Nurse now. I am worried that I won't get registration or will have to do a bridging course. I can't find any information that clarifies what they are and why anybody has to do them. Does anybody know???

Sharyn

Hi Sharyn, don't know anything about bridging courses but pretty sure you don't need a years experience for your NMBWA reg just a pin number I think. The fact that they take newly qualifieds onto their programmes means they must give you registration I would think? Not sure though, hopefully will be someone along who does know

cheers Fi

Guest garryhandsley

Hi Fi

Thanks again, sorry to be a REAL pain but, How long did your visa take to come through? I sent mine off electronically on the 2/10/08. We have had all our medicals and on the visa tracker page it says all health requirements finalised, dated the 21/10/08. I am still waiting for my nurse registration with the NMBWA and don't know if this holding up my visa. We have applied for a 457 and havn't had any correspondance from dept immigration, only whats on the visa tracker page which hasn't been up-dated since the 21/10. I am really fed up and there dosn't seem to be anyone you can contact to get any up-dates. At this rate we will still be here for christmas and that would be awful!!! Can you offer any hope????

Thanks

Sharyn

Guest guest17301

Hi again Sharyn

We are not applying for the visa till we have all the relevant paperwork which should come through in the next few weeks. Don't think you will get visa granted till you upload evidence of current registration. Would imagine it will be granted a soon as they recieve that. When did you apply to NMBWA? They were great with me I emailed them every day! I'm sure you'll get there before Crimbo though.

Think the 457 comes through pretty quick once they have all paperwork-thats why I'm waiting till I have everything I need. We will frontload the meds though, go next Wed for them at Manchester

Keep me updated on how you go..good luck x

Guest garryhandsley

Thanks again

Maybe I will start e-mailing them, sent my application at the beginning of October but the NMC didn't send verification until the 24th October!! Where are you going to work when you are in perth? I see you have children what are you going to do about schools. I have 3 children 5,7 and 10. They are so excited we all are, its just so frustrating checking everyday and not getting anywhere. I will keep you up-dated with our progress, let me know how you get on with your medicals are you going on a 457 as well? lots of people seem to be going on a 136, I'm not familliar with that visa. Good luck I hope it all goes well for you

Sharyn

Hey I am in the same position as you! I qualified in August got Pin number in October only just applied to get regisdtration with WA board. However my hospital (Hollywood) have said that they cannot start the sponsership visa application until I have my registration is this correct as it appears that you have already applied for yours? I too am coming to oz in Januaryt and extremely worried its not all going to be done by then! stress!

Guest garryhandsley

Hi Anette

I have applied for the 457 visa which requires the employer who is sponsoring you to nominate you to the dept of immigration before you can apply. Then the department of immigration approve the nomination and grant you a nomination approval number. After that has happened the sponsor contacts you and advises you to complete your application for migration. That is what happened to me. I applied for my NMBWA registration and my 457 visa at the beginning of October. I havn't heard from either. How is your registration going? have you had any correspondance from the NMBWA? I have e-mailed my customer servise officer 3 times now and havn't had any replies. It is driving me crazy!!! let me know how you get on

Sharyn

The 136 visa is the old 175 visa and offers permanent residency from the moment you land in the country. Some airlines will give you extra baggage allowance if you're travelling on this visa to migrate and haven't already validated. The 457 is classed as a temporary visa, but you are able to apply for permanent residency. Fiona has looked into this already and can give you more information.

Guest maggie82

Hi Girls

I hope you dont mind Ive just been reading your conversation, we (me and John my hubby) have finally decided to start applying for pr. I just feel a little bit out of depth with all the information on the net? What do I need to do first get my registration from wa nursing board, a job or our visa?

Thanks Lara xx

I first applied to the ANMC for a skills assessment, when that came back that I'd passed I then applied for my PR visa, I then applied for registration to NMBWA - and started contacting hospitals (I did a google search) to see if they had any job offers!

Ali

Guest guest17301

Hi all,

As far as I know (there may well be other ways of doing it), there are 2 main routes into Oz for nurses

1) 175 visa-this is a permanent visa on the governments skilled migration programme, the visa is independent(ie not employer sponsored) therefore you can work wherever and for whomever you choose for as many or liitle hours as you want.

The benefits of this visa are obvious, you are entitled to family tax credit equivalent from the start and the visa costs around $1000 plus your ANMC registration and positive skills assessment (don't know much about that sorry). I think the visa takes around 6 months plus to be granted. You would apply for the visa first then get a job I imagine

2) Employer sponsored 457 or 856

The 457 is a up to 4 yr temp visa. An employer has to sponsor you, so you need to secure a position first. Its cheap (around £100) and quick (anything from 3-12 weeks usually) Downside is you are tied to the employer for the length of the visa and not entitled to any family tax credit equivalent or other benefits /security of PR

Some employers offer permanent sponsored visas 856 from the outset but these are few and far between (Ramsey are one employer that springs to mind)

Most employers will offer sponsorship for PR after a certain length of time usually between 3 and 12 months of service.

At any point on a sponsored visa though, you are free to apply for PR independently at a similar cost to employer sponsored.

Sorry if I have rambled and I hope this info helps someone, don't take it as gospel though as I am still finding out new info myself everyday

Cheers, Fiona x

Hey sorry am a bit confused about this nomination part I was told they couldnt do anything till registration done???, however my employer said I can apply myself but only have a 28 day window to get all current documentation done and as I am no way near having registration done may not do this . My registration isnt going very well the wa board rejected my nurtsing transcript and will not reply to my email asking what persifically they require! I am pulling my hair out too! Do you have any idea how long registration and sponsership visa normally take?

Guest maggie82

Thanks very much girls. You know that on the ANMC application under section 4 if Im doing it independently who is it that I get to act as my agent??

Sorry thanks again Lara x

Archived