liveable wage

mrscat

Hi to all

Looking at wages that nurses can earn in queensland, the gross wage is approx $1063 australian dollars per week gross. I expect to earn a little more with working shifts ect but if i just stay on the basic wage, is this a good wage by australian standards?

thanks

Hi mrscat.

I am hoping this is a livable wage as I am in the same situation. I'm a paed nurse heading for brisbane, (if I get the job on thurs) I think it's comparable with uk but cost of living is less in oz, so I've been told so should be ok. If you hear anything please let me know.

Got a 17 year old step daughter who was keen to move way back in the summer when we talked about it, but now is not sure and has been in tears all day today. Now really confused as to what to do for the best.

Lynne

I don't know about QLD, but in WA there is a scale depending on years of service. So e.g. in WA if you've been qualified 5 years you'll be offerred level 1.5 - here it goes upto 1.9 which is the top pay scale for RN's

That is just shy of $56k which is IMHO a get by but not in great comfort type salary. You will probably have bonuses like the ability to salary sacrifice against rent/mortgage maybe which will be an advantage to you. On $56k expect to have to take home about $844 a week in your hand but, as I said, there may be some salary sac arrangements which make that a bit better than it looks. You will be looking at at least $300 pw in rent - and probably more if you are thinking central Brisbane, and then on top of that will have power, car expenses and fuel, food, sundry kid stuff. You will just about get by but you will have to be careful I would say.

Archived