OZ Expo Leeds

Dunkos

Hi Guys,

just a quick post for all those folks thinking about attending the OZ expo in London DONT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this was the biggest waste of time ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, no one there worth talking to at all.

One guy we did talk to from a recruitment agency i explained to him we done our medicals last month an were now just awaiting our visa which we would hopefully get in dec/jan time. his response to me was do you know it takes two years?, i then explained to his again all the steps on our time line and his response again was will ill take your CV mate an hope u get across sooner but it'l be two years.

now guys given the medicals only valid for a year that just a plain stupid answer. after this we shortly left the expo as there was nobody worth speaking to there.

DONT GO THIS IS THE BIGGEST MONEY MAKEIN SCHEME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, we went to one in Leeds earlier in the year and we paid about £20.00 each (two couples) and it was the biggest waste of time ever!!!!! We wished we had just paid for one if us to go in and check it out first! We did not get any information and as we hadn't gotten past the skills assessment at that time the agencies didn't even want to know us. We went along armed with c.v's and references and we didn't hand out a single one.

It may be a different experience for you but we found the only employers there were looking for Midwifes, Nurses and Engineers. We didn't fit into any of those categories! What do you guys do for a living?

Clare

Hubby works in I.T in a bank at the moment, but not enough experience in the I.T. part and no quals. He has however worked at the bank for nearly 16 years now. I have checked the job list for the exhibition and I dont see any banking type employers or I.T. being there either. We were hoping we could try and talk to the Victoria Government people and see what they suggest. But to be honest I dont really understand how state sponsorship works anyway.

Hi AnxiousMum,

there is a Victoria Government Stand there who might be helpfull ?, in terms of IT thats my field and iv all about got my visa, an no-one was interested and there knowledge of the migration process was null.. i hope you do meet someone who can help you but in my experience the whole day is just a money making scam

I agree, we went to one in Leeds earlier in the year and we paid about £20.00 each (two couples) and it was the biggest waste of time ever!!!!! We wished we had just paid for one if us to go in and check it out first! We did not get any information and as we hadn't gotten past the skills assessment at that time the agencies didn't even want to know us. We went along armed with c.v's and references and we didn't hand out a single one.

Totally agree with you, we did the same! plus, if you add the £60.00 we spent on the 2 train tickets, Its nearly £100 we wasted.

The only good thing about it is it helped us decide where we are going, though we already had a pretty good idea.

To anyone considering it, dont bother, absolute waste of time:nah:

Jim & Ali

We agree.... total waste of money, we have just come back from Leeds, 2 tickets @£15 and half a tank of petrol. Waste of time and money, wish we had stayed in bed with a bacon buttie,

Anyone with internet access can get all the information they had on offer which to be honest was not much at all

Save your money, dont go....

The Elliotts

We went to Leeds this morning too..... got to say I expected more (especially given the cost). Hubby spoke to a couple of agencies with some specialities in his field (welder) but we found most of it biaised to W.A (as in most of the recruitment agencies with stands were based in and only in WA) or alternatively far more inland than we are looking to go.

I agree too that if you are in any profession other than nursing or "engineering" then there was very little there for you. What about all the other skills shortages they have....what no recruiters for them?

There was only one migration agent there (never heard of them)

I thought there the wrong type of agencies there all in all....many of them dealing with top level managerial roles, which given "trade skills" shortage I would have thought they could have enticed more recruiters to have a stand.

Guest alan_blue

I think you have to take from it as much as you can, like i posted in my thread we found it very helpful and we spoke to nearly every stand. We didnt just speak to them about the stand they were on we had general convo about oz life ect. If you put in the effort at these shows you can get loads of info.

those that are going to london dont be dissheartned by peoples views and make the most of the opportunity

Guest jchrisj

Ha Ha.................they wernt expecting our kids.

We got, are you ready for this

3 rugby balls

8 rather nice bags (dont know what were gonna do with them tho)

5 boomerangs

4 stress ball lightbulbs (dont know about this one)

2 wooly hats

2 rather nice baseball caps

2 toy planes

3 beach balls

3 foam footballs

2 packets vegimite

2 lions

3 koala bears

loads of tea and coffee

4 bottles of suncream

6 biscuits

2 kids pockets full of sweets

And this is the killer.......................49 pens.

Felt like the bloody dingles comming out.

But as soon as we sussed it was crap, and therefore we were robbed. We told the kids to "go fetch"

It really is only any good if you are interested in the minning industry, banking or removalls. Other than that, to be honest, i wouldnt bother!

Unless you need pen's and stuff.

Couldnt get our head round the 1 armed,1 legged didgeridoo dude either................; )

Hugs

Chris

3 rugby balls

5 boomerangs

2 wooly hats

2 toy planes

3 beach balls

3 foam footballs

2 packets vegimite

2 lions

3 koala bears

loads of tea and coffee

4 bottles of suncream

6 biscuits

But as soon as we sussed it was crap, and therefore we were robbed. We told the kids to "go fetch"

It really is only any good if you are interested in the minning industry, banking or removalls. Other than that, to be honest, i wouldnt bother!

Couldnt get our head round the 1 armed,1 legged didgeridoo dude either................; )

Hugs

Chris

Where did YOU get all the goodies from I got 2 foam balls, 2 pens, 2 little writing pads, 2 bags and a sweet - fed up now - really feel like I wasted my diesel lol!!!

To be honest I read on previous threads about the Expo - and read this once I had booked it. I knew that there werent going to be employers opening their arms to me (i'm an IT teacher). I thought the talks were good - we went to the QLD, Vic and SA one. Vic and SA really impressed me. If you are unsure about where you would like to go then I felt these talks were good. I have to say though the QLD stand was abysmal - the woman I spoke honestly didnt have a clue, I was answering my own questions!!!!! The woman on the SA stand was quite informative. The stands on pensions, shipping and UTD group resources (for OH - he's a welder) were quite good.:smile:

I have to say that I did photocopy a handful of CV's (using works photocopier - shhh!!!!) just in case, however they remained in my bag untouched!!!!:sad:

3 rugby balls

5 boomerangs

2 wooly hats

2 toy planes

3 beach balls

3 foam footballs

2 packets vegimite

2 lions

3 koala bears

loads of tea and coffee

4 bottles of suncream

6 biscuits

Hugs

Chris

LMAO :biglaugh:

i love those bags, we only got three but im sure they will be useful for something

Claire

3 rugby balls

5 boomerangs

2 wooly hats

2 toy planes

3 beach balls

3 foam footballs

2 packets vegimite

2 lions

3 koala bears

loads of tea and coffee

4 bottles of suncream

6 biscuits

Hugs

Chris

Chris!!!!

we are proper jealous now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we got-

1 lousy football

2 Bags

Please can we borrow your kids next time!lol

love and hugs X

J&A

Thanks for that, we were going to go today but OT didnt get back from work in time and was gutted, now im glad we didnt waste our money.

Hi Guys,

just a quick post for all those folks thinking about attending the OZ expo in London DONT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this was the biggest waste of time ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, no one there worth talking to at all.

One guy we did talk to from a recruitment agency i explained to him we done our medicals last month an were now just awaiting our visa which we would hopefully get in dec/jan time. his response to me was do you know it takes two years?, i then explained to his again all the steps on our time line and his response again was will ill take your CV mate an hope u get across sooner but it'l be two years.

now guys given the medicals only valid for a year that just a plain stupid answer. after this we shortly left the expo as there was nobody worth speaking to there.

DONT GO THIS IS THE BIGGEST MONEY MAKEIN SCHEME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree what a waste of money and time.The stands there are only after your business , there should be paying you to go not you paying to get in. I thought we would be there for hours but we stayed for about a hour. You find out more on this site than you would going to it. Research what you want online its FREE !!!!!!!!

Guest scarletsfan

Got to say we totally disagree

we asked genaral questions from cost of living to schooling to public transport, crime rate to the best way to further our prospects on getting to oz

i had 2 interview at the expo both looking very hopefull with the 457 sponsorship

also wife asked questions regard starting her own busniess as a child minder / nursery and they were more than helpful with advise and areas as to start such a venture.

in total we learnt loads and were very happy that we spent 9.5 hrs travilling up on Friday (bloody traffic) and 4 hours back spending £120 for hotel over £150 in diesel so was it worth it for us

YES

the only answer i could not get a definate answer to was the tax implications of renting our house in the uk after 6 mths so does anybody know ??????

Philip and Sam

I'm pleased you both got a lot out of it...especially if you travelled a long way to get there. What were the job interviews/offers for? Do you already have your visas or are you planning on going on a 457? Good luck on the job front....hope it pans out for you both..

3 rugby balls

5 boomerangs

2 wooly hats

2 toy planes

3 beach balls

3 foam footballs

2 packets vegimite

2 lions

3 koala bears

loads of tea and coffee

4 bottles of suncream

6 biscuits

Hugs

Chris

Bet you didnt get a little rubics style puzzle of Tasmania!!!!

We got 2, along with a lot of other junk...

Yeah we were bit disappointed too. Had a good chat to a pom now living in Perth who gave us some good advice, a nice oz lady from Perth Government who also gave us area/school advice and spoke to Diac but he only confirmed what I had read on Poms in Oz & the diac website so def not worth the money they charge.

Never mind the kids were happy with their toys & bags which are now strewn across our house!

Guest horatio8

Hi Everyone

I too went to the Expo today but came back with mixed feelings. As I am just 45 (Aug 08) most visa's say 18 - 45, what it should say is 18 to 44 because if you are 45 or over you are unable to get a Skilled Person Visa or a State Sponsered Visa due to being 45. :arghh:

Fortunately I have already applied for a job via a site who was asking for my trade (Painter) and with the prospect of emigrating as a condition of applying for the job. That I believe will be on a 457 visa anyway which allows me to go.

As for the Expo today, I found some parts informative, pensions, banks, removals, money transfers but with the State Sponsors stand telling me I was basically past my sell by date was a bit disapointing.:cry: Even the job websites they suggested weren't advertising for trade people either. Even the Chamber of Commerce site said I was too old. Twelve years ago when I first applied they didn't want my trade, now with 28 years experience they are saying I am too old. hopefully this job will work out and I will be out within the next year.

Anyway being the optomist I got some goodies too but no half as much as others (boomerangs & pens mainly) .

was it worth the money? ........ I think so as even though this sight is tops, talking to some one face to face is more reassuring and you can also tell if its a load of bull****!!!!! lol

Steve

Archived