Where to settle in Brisbane & Surrounds?

Guest JOCROC

Hi, we are just in the process of getting our 457 visa and relocating to Brisbane. We have temporary accommodation for the first month, but we then need to rent somewhere.

We are a family of 5 with kids aged 4, 7 and 9. We are very keen to be near to the coast/beach, and also like the modern Australian style homes.

Any advise please?

Schooling also plays a major part so we would be keen to find a good state school (or possibly private?) in the area. How do we judge the schools there, is there any leage tables or anything similar to the UK OFSTED?

Thanks for any help!!

John & Rachel

Guest HappyBunny

Hiya, welcome to PIO!

I will try to answer your questions for you.

First of all where you live will be determined to some extent by where you work. If you are working in Brisbane but want a newish house I would suggest you look outside of Brisbane. Bear in mind that it tends to take longer to drive the same distance here than in the UK. This is due to the state of the roads, the speed limits and the traffic congestion.

Northside you could look at North Lakes/Mango Hill, lots of new houses there and commutable to Brisbane. Seems popular with a lot of Brits. It's about 15-20 minutes drive to the beaches at Redcliffe but the surfs not up to much.

Southside look around Coomera, Helensvale, Pacific Pines, Oxenford and Ormeau. Lots of new houses have been built in these areas. It's about 20 minutes to the northern beaches of the Gold Coast and 30 minutes to Brisbane CBD. Some of the areas are on the main rail line into Brisbane as well. All the theme parks are minutes away and there is a drive in theatre at Yatala.

Have a look on www.realestate.com.au to get some idea of what you can get for your money.

With regards to schools we don't have anything like ofsted over here. If you check out Education Phone Directory you will find a list of all the schools, state and private in the area you are interested in. If you are not sure of the area name click on the map link. We live in Ormeau and if you choose anywhere around here the schools have all got pretty good reputations. If you are interested in private education nearly all of the schools are parochial. Rivermount College Rivermount College : Perseverance . Integrity . Excellence in particular has a very good name.

You are doing the right thing by having a short term rental when you get here, it will give you chance to have a good look around and get a feel for what you like. Good luck with everything and if I can be of any more help feel free to PM me. xx

Hi - thanks for the information, we will have a look!

I am going to be working in Creek Street in Brisbane CBD, so ideally would like to go by train to the city. We like the look of North Lakes and Redcliffe (but there is no station near Redcliffe).

We have not really looked at the South side of the city, but will need to see how long the journey will be.

Thanks

John

Hi, we have been looking at some areas on the internet. We definately like the look of North Lakes.

Redcliffe looks nice, and Cleveland. Does anyone have any feedback on these areas?

Guest mollyflanders

we are in middle park, and all the areas around here are really nice , mt omanay, sinnamin park, river hills Jamboree heights, good shopping centres, schools and bus service, lovely

Guest karlandsarah

Hi, my husband works as a diesel mechanic for Volvo in Richlands it is more of an industrial area. We like in Redbank Plains which is about 15-20 minutes drive from Richlands. The estate we live on is call Highbury park estate and you can rent a brand new 4 bedroom home with ensuite and double garage for around $300-350 a week. They also have an option that if you notify them of your intention to buy a home on the estate within the first 6 months of your lease they will reimburse you any rent paid and take this off the cost of the home, in most cases this cover the cost of the deposit on your home

Hi

Cleveland is a really good suburb. It's near the water, but not really proper beaches - there are man made ones in Raby Bay (Cleveland) but because we are behind Stradbroke Island there are no waves. Train into the CBD takes around an hour. Local schools are considered pretty good, but to be honest, compared to the school my kids were at in Sydney they are not so great. I can't wait for them to move up the waiting list for Ormiston College - I have one child there and it's a great school.

There's lots of local activities for both boys and girls.....gymnastics, soccer, swimming, cricket, diving, trampolining, dancing, etc etc etc etc. It's a real family area.

Hope that helps

Daphne

Guest HappyBunny
Hi, we have been looking at some areas on the internet. We definately like the look of North Lakes.

Redcliffe looks nice, and Cleveland. Does anyone have any feedback on these areas?

North Lakes

Pros: Nice new houses, good shopping mall, easy access to motorway, beach 15 minutes away.

Cons: Need two cars as shops and schools aren't within walking distance from most of the development, traffic on the motorway into Brisbane can be really bad. School oversubscribed in some years apparantly so some classes in portacabins.

Redcliffe

Pros: Nice quiet family area. Settlement Cove Lagoon lovely for kids.

Cons: Older area jaded in places, though up and coming. Little in the way of new builds.

If you are looking at the peninsula my advice would be to look at Margate and Scarborough over Redcliffe itself, the schools in both areas have a good reputation and the beaches are nice. If your priority is the new house your best bet is to stick with North Lakes/Mango Hill.

Have only been to Cleveland once so can't really comment on that area.

I had a nosey around Redlands/Victoria Point a few weeks ago and Thornlands quite impressed me , seemed a little more developed,easy access to the huge Cleveland shopping ctr where there were loadsss of shops, nice houses and all clean and tidy. Looked a really nice area.

There is a large Estate type development around Island Outlook Avenue,just off the Redland/Cleveland Road, i think it could be classed as Crystal Waters but not sure (ran out of noseying time,lol) and i thought it would be a great place for anyone to start their new life,well worth a look for anyone considering that area of Brisbane.

Cal x

Thanks again all for the info.

What about schools in the area. I see a lot of people like North Lakes, is the North Lakes College OK, I have seen mixed reports, are there any good private schools in these locations?

Guest HappyBunny

What about schools in the area. I see a lot of people like North Lakes, is the North Lakes College OK, I have seen mixed reports, are there any good private schools in these locations?

I know it's a lot to take in but if you read my original reply you will see I posted the link to the Queensland Government website which as I said lists all the state and private schools and has details of their websites. Most school websites are pretty comprehensive and will give you a good feel for what they are like. Then you can narrow down your options and view your preferred schools when you arrive before making a final decision. x

Guest Luckylu

Hi JoCroc

We moved to Brisbane from Kiddy in July 2008 with our three kids (2 seven year olds and a three year old). I work in Eagle Street which is off Creek Street where you will be working. Although we will probably end up living further out (house prices!), we have found that renting closer in has been great. We are in a suburb called Clayfield and after a five minute saunter to the station it takes me 10 minutes by train to Central Station which is right at the top of Creek Street. Being closer in means that there are alot more trains too. It's so much better than the Kiddy to Brum commute that I had for the last 15 years!

We are also able to manage with only one car which is good for the budget and the environment. Will have to invest in another car once we move further out next August time. Being closer in we are also on the doorstep of the two top Primary Schools in Brisbane - Ascot and Eagle Junction. If you don't live in the catchment area of the top schools then your kids won't get places, but if you do then the school has to provide a place by law. Our boys are at Eagle Junction and we are very impressed with the standard of education there.

Personally, I would recommend that you try to rent closer in for at least the first six months so that in the first few months when everything is new you have the convenience of a short journey to work. Believe me, settling in to a new working environment in a new country is very tiring. Cutting out the long commute will help no end.

Hope the above information has been some help. I know you want to live close to the beach but it only takes us half an hour to get to the coast and compared to Kiddy where it was 2 hours to Weston Super Mud it is great.

Not missing Kiddy one bit - the last week's murders and bank job certainly confirm that we were right to get out....

Lucy

Hi everyone,

hope you dont mind me jumping into your thread, loads of great advice here. i am hopeing to get a job at the mater hospital, can anyone reccommend an area near there but not in the city thats nice. at the moment i walk to work so any sort of commute is going to be a shock to the system. hubby is hopeing for a job at port of brisbane so we need to be near both. (not too much to ask really lol).

also forgive me for being a bit blonde bit i keep seeing CBD on loads of forums, what does this stand for!

thanks

lynne

Guest Luckylu

If you do get that job at the Mater Hospital then you have quite a distance between there and the Port of Brisbane.

Basically though between the two destinations you have the Wynnum Road corridor which starts around East Brisbane and ends around Lytton. The general rule is the closer to the CBD (Central Business District) you are the more expensive.

So making your way along Wynnum Road, East Brisbane to Morningside can be expensive, Morningside through Cannon Hill to Murrarie is less expensive and Murrarie through Tingalpa and beyond is more affordable. There are of course exceptions along the way with many good sized properties at reasonable prices (both renting and buying.)

Ideally for you I would recommend Cannon Hill as the prices there are still justifable and it is a well established area with two primary schools (Catholic & State) to choose from and an abundance of shopping. I lived here for about 5 years and have been back recently and the place still feels the same. There is Cannon Hill train station which feeds into South Bank (closest stop to the Mater) though there is no train station at the Port with the closest at Wynnum Central. Driving to the Port from Cannon Hill is a doddle particularly as it means driving outbounds when everyone else is inbound.

I hope this gives you a little more info and you are successful with finding the right place.

Cheers

Karl (Lucylu's husband and former 30year resident of Brisbane and ex-Brisbane Taxi Driver for 4 years)

Guest KirstenS16

Hi Guys,

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth about being close to Redcliffe but also on a train line. My suburb always seems to be overlooked! I live at Dakabin which is only 5 mins from North Lakes and 20 mins from Redcliffe, and I'm in walking distance to a train station. I have all the facilities I need close by, and the primary school is really good. Apparently our train station is being upgraded and will be the largest on the North side. Just a thought for ease of access to the city and beach. Houses and area are nice too!

Thanks guys,

that really gives me loads to go on. I'm off to London Expo tomorrow with my sister (madwife) who is also hoping to move to Brisbane same time as me. She has been looking at the Manly area. Gots loads of questions to ask at the expo and giving out lots of cv,s so hoping for some good news soon.

Lynne

hi , thought i would just add abit ! not posted on here since we landed. We landed 10 weeks ago and absolute love it. At mo we are renting in North Lakes but we have also stayed in Mango Hill and Redcliffe. North Lakes is a lovely area , does get a bit of bad press for having alot of brits but have to say only met 2 couples so far from england . it has got a nice community feel to it. my daughter has started at north lakes state college, year 1 and loves it. when she comes out smiling and is all happy from her day at school i've got no worries !!

yes you do need a car to get around here, depending how many roundabouts you live away from the shopping mall ! but they are building new shopping area and new primary school ( bridgehaven primary ) at far end of north lakes. school is due to open in jan 2009.

we love it here, both kids can happily play outside or at the park and i dont need to worry about them , something i couldnt do in england.

mango hill is a gorgeous area too, ( toss up between there and north lakes where we eventually buy )

redcliffe is a nice area, from what i have heard schools are supposed to be good. the lagoon there is fantastic, and its free !! this area was too far out for my hubbie to commute to work at mo he works southside of brisbane. so his commute is about 50-60 mins . didnt want to add further 15 mins onto his journey.

good luck with everything, it can be scary finding somewhere the whole family feels safe and happy. we came blind, never having set foot in oz and i have to say so far its the best decision we have ever made.

pm me if you have anymore questions,

love sue xxx

Hi there,

I am in North Lakes & my kids (7,10,12) all go to the state college. It has a very good reputation & recently came out as one of the top schools in Brisbane in tests I believe. Its very big but my kids all got used to that fairly quickly. My kids are all happy there & doing well so thats good enough for me!

There is a new primary school opening in North Lakes in Jan 09 so depending where you live will determine whether you go to there or NL State college. There's also a private school called The Lakes, but I don't know anyone who goes or of its reputation sorry.

To be honest i find the beaches at Redcliffe/Scarborough disappointing, the sand isnt that great but i suppose its nice for little ones as no big waves, the lagoon is lovely too. Woorim Beach at Bribie Island has our vote as best beach closest to North Lakes 30 mins drive if you can avoid a traffic jam! Clean, white sand surf beach & also a few shops/cafes/restaurants really close by for when you want a wander...

If you plan to get the train to work from North Lakes to CBD I would suggest a trial run. I've done the train journey to the city & find it a drag,:wacko: I suppose it depends what you're used to, I worked really close to home in the UK. My hubby used to drive into Brissie for work & found it to be fine but that was at 6am.

Good luck!

Sue

Guest Scared and excited V

Hi

My husband and I have just returned from a reki in Brisbane. WOW!!! We loved it. We have decided to settle in a place called Manley which is South side but not as far down as the gold coast. The town has lovely restaurants and a Marina with gorgeous boats on it!!! One day maybe!! Along the Walk of the Marina there are loads of massive play areas and two outdoor pools and a small man made beach. The really big beaches would be about 40 mins away which we said we would go to a the weekends as we really wanted to be near to the baches for the girls too.

My husband will be working in the CBD so he will get a train in which is will take about half an hour but 1 and half hours if he drove in rush hour.

Schools were really good with Private ones that cost nothing compared to Uk but you need to put there names down asap as there are small waiting lists.

We have organised a rental of a property whist we were over just outside Manley in Wakerely.

Well worth a look at Manley we think.

Need any nore ionfo let me know

xx

Hi Scared & Excited

my sister is also looking at Manly, we were both offerred jobs at the Mater last Thursday and the Guy who was telling us all about the immigration process lives in Manly, he said it takes him about 20 mins to drive to the hospital which is in brisbane, but if he drops off his wife who works in the cbd then it may take half an hour to 40 mins. he must have been selling it well or he cant tell the time lol.

When are you planning to make the move, we are hoping for next summer just applying for australian nmc

good luck

lynne

Guest Scared and excited V

Hi Lynne

Spoke to quite a few people whist there and they said roughly the same thing. Takes 35-45 mins outside rush hour but much longer in rush hour. Everyone dvised us to get the train in as they are so reliable and on time and they run express services which take 30 mins from Manley.

Are you the nurse or your sister? I am a staff nurse who works with the school nurses. I love my job but I have been told the jkobs are few and far between. Not worked an a hospital for 9 years now so really dont feel confident doing that any more I dont think. Worked as a staff nurse with the District Nurses for 7 yrs but dont think I want to go back to leg Ulcers again!!!!! What do you think?? Panicking a bit really. Will prob end up in a supermarket knowing my luck!!

When do you think you will be over there? Do you have a family too?

Love Vanessa x

Archived