So depressed

Guest the_zings

Guest IrishPost
Loads of aussie barbies and boy do they eat some crappy food over here (all sausages and burgers)..........

Sausages and burgers! - mate I'm not talking about fund raising events outside Bunnings; you obviously haven't been to a BBQ yet; never mind, it will take time.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest earlswood
Sausages and burgers! - mate I'm not talking about fund raising events outside Bunnings; you obviously haven't been to a BBQ yet; never mind, it will take time.

Best at barbies are South Africans without a dought...then Brits...then Aussies...nuff said.

I am british born n bred (Northumberland) married to an Aussie born n bred. What is "right" for someone may be totally wrong for someone else.

We have lived in both Australia and the UK, and BOTH have faults aplenty and BOTH have good things too. Its swings and roundabouts, and wherever YOU feel best is the place to be, and until you have experienced both you cant decide.

We have settled here in the UK, we are both happy here for the present, though it took hubby a while to get used to the geordie accent.

He does not miss the hot weather over there, being born before air conditioning when the whole street used to drag their mattresses out and sleep outside as it was too hot to stay indoors, and he got bored of day after day of blue skies and sunshine. He loves the seasons in the UK, not having to have fly screens on the windows and doors, sitting down outside without checking for redbacks, and he adores our countryside. he misses his family, aussie rules footie, and thats about it. He says the UK is a money hungry country ie council tax/tv licence etc, but other things are better.

If you are poor in either country then it is a struggle wherever you are..plenty on the dole over there too.

You must live where you are happiest...Oz can be a dream for some and a nightmare for others. The grass is not always greener...and in summer there may be no grass at all!

Guest earlswood
I am british born n bred (Northumberland) married to an Aussie born n bred. What is "right" for someone may be totally wrong for someone else.

We have lived in both Australia and the UK, and BOTH have faults aplenty and BOTH have good things too. Its swings and roundabouts, and wherever YOU feel best is the place to be, and until you have experienced both you cant decide.

We have settled here in the UK, we are both happy here for the present, though it took hubby a while to get used to the geordie accent.

He does not miss the hot weather over there, being born before air conditioning when the whole street used to drag their mattresses out and sleep outside as it was too hot to stay indoors, and he got bored of day after day of blue skies and sunshine. He loves the seasons in the UK, not having to have fly screens on the windows and doors, sitting down outside without checking for redbacks, and he adores our countryside. he misses his family, aussie rules footie, and thats about it. He says the UK is a money hungry country ie council tax/tv licence etc, but other things are better.

If you are poor in either country then it is a struggle wherever you are..plenty on the dole over there too.

You must live where you are happiest...Oz can be a dream for some and a nightmare for others. The grass is not always greener...and in summer there may be no grass at all!

That is a great post and how I feel exactly.

Except for the missing Ossie rules football

Guest earlswood
:biglaugh: Listen to this man he definitely knows what he is talking about !!!!!

It's sooo bloody true, every Saffa I know makes his own boerwors and has a poikkie on the go as well:notworthy: Aussies I have met really are just not with it when it comes to Brai's.

Plus they make their own Biltong.

Guest The Griswolds
I speak to folks in uk most days for my work only been here 12 weeks, things are getting worse there financially and if you are on a base life there will be different to outside same as in the uk.

While you are here try and meet up with some poms outside i have and it may make it easier. I am a bit of a way from you in northern suburbs of sydney but if you want to chat or can get about - i am not sure of the distance i would be happy to meet up at a weekend. My kids are in the uk so at a bit of a loose end when not at work. if you want send me a message and i'll give you my msn address.

Isn't this site the greatest :notworthy:

Guest lee winspear
Ahhh.......Sorry to hear that Lee. I know what the problem partly is though - The part of the world that you are originally from is lovely. Pocklington is a great part of England - it must be tough to leave. Years ago I used to write the radio ads for Pocklington carpets! :spinny:

It's easier to leave .......Leicester!

Small world, trouble is you dont realise what you have till its gone!!!!!:arghh:

Small world, trouble is you dont realise what you have till its gone!!!!!:arghh:

I went to the same school as Lee in Pocklington. He told us at the school reunion last year about you all moving to Australia and where you had been to and going etc., I thought it was great for you guys as we too were going to Oz over Xmas & New Year (only as a holiday) but I was sooooooo excited to be heading out there at last!!!!

Then I joined PIO and saw the name lee winspear!!!

It's a very small world, yet so big! I know of so many people now that have emigrated, not just to Australia, but America, Canada, France etc., There's so much to see out there, but the world can be a lonely place!

Keep your chin up Deb, try and keep yourself busy. Have you met other Mums over there yet? I just stay on here a lot now, keeps me busy and takes my mind off all the doom & gloom!!

Tracey

Archived