What do you miss...

paulhug

Guest Curlysoo

I decided before I got here I wasnt go to go down the "what I miss" route. For me its an awful lot harder than most people because I have severe food allergies, meaning I never eat out at a restaurant/have a take away/or eat any processed foods ..... certain foods have been difficlt to find any alternative for, eg Dove Farm flours ..... so I have ordered them over the internet from the UK. ..... problem solved! :-)

Guest YellowGecko

I don't like a lot of Aussie food (meat is good though). And I haven't yet tasted gravy here that actually tastes like gravy, so mother had to send parcels of Bisto over all the time.

Am really looking forward to shopping in Sainsbury and 24 hr Tesco shopping again!

Jo x

Guest TheArmChairDetective

Bisto - The UK shops are drowning in the stuff, and for some reason as yet unknown, Powdered OXO is rarer than rocking horse doo-doos.

Quoarn - I never realised it was unavailable in Australia, I'll ask one of my nieces to see if it's sold in Fountain Gate.

Shoes - Tim, I know the answer to shows rotting on your feet, but wont say it out loud :smile:

I have no connection with Ian H of Best of British but as a Perth based shop owner he supplys by post anything you ever missed food wise, or near enough.

Ian is a member of PIO

Guest spottymercedes

Thanks for that I will have a look. Is woolies the same as safeway? :unsure:We have a safeway nearby and I know a lot of the brands are called woolworths, but I've not seen a store actually called woolworths.

Woolworths seem to have started getting quite a lot of veggie stuff this last 2 weeks, in our local woolys its in the chiller cabinet near the pre-packed cooked meats and cheese.Hope you find something yummy there.

Cal x

Guest sweetpea0701
I don't like a lot of Aussie food (meat is good though). And I haven't yet tasted gravy here that actually tastes like gravy, so mother had to send parcels of Bisto over all the time.

Am really looking forward to shopping in Sainsbury and 24 hr Tesco shopping again!

Jo x

So if you can't get Oxo or Bisto....what do they use to make gravey ???

We're northerns and we love gravey!!

Guest Richard and carole

I miss Birds Custard ! and proper tasing chocolate without the gritiness. Jammie Dodjers, Proper egg custard with milk ,not water like woolies - yak And Lastly My fave cheese Wensleydale with cranberrys, ohhhhhhhhhhh i miss it.

Guest YellowGecko
So if you can't get Oxo or Bisto....what do they use to make gravey ???

We're northerns and we love gravey!!

The big brand name of gravy here is 'Gravox', which tastes like flour and mud mixed together. I have tried a couple other brands (can't think of the names) and none taste like proper gravy as we know it. In fact, before I got mother to mailme Bisto over, I had to eat my roast dinners dry!

:arghh:

The custard here is foul, as well (in my opinion!). 'Pauls' custard just has no flavour... Birds custard is sold in our local Coles supermarket in the Specialty section, along with some other British goodies, like PG Tips and Homepride Curry Sauce etc.

Ambrosia custard is the best custard I have ever tasted, but that's not here, either.

In response to the last poster - I can get cans of Ambrosia custard (& Rice Pudding come to that!) in my local Coles...I was so excited when I found it!!

Other than decent custard, I miss: Marmite, Galaxy Chocolate and proper Sausages!! oh & Yorkshire Tea! - I'm a southerner, but I like a good proper cup of strong 'builders tea' as my friends would call it!!

Guest matt&dan

Our local Coles sells proper Marmite, Hellmans mayo and a few other English bits, and when our friend arrived last month he brought a box of Bisto powder and you just can't beat it, we have had so many Roast the last couple of weeks.

Guest YellowGecko
In response to the last poster - I can get cans of Ambrosia custard (& Rice Pudding come to that!) in my local Coles...I was so excited when I found it!!

Other than decent custard, I miss: Marmite, Galaxy Chocolate and proper Sausages!! oh & Yorkshire Tea! - I'm a southerner, but I like a good proper cup of strong 'builders tea' as my friends would call it!!

Hello, that was me. Yes, I wasn't sure if I have seen it, or not. I know Birds is sold in ours, but couldn't remember about Ambrosia.. I know they do the rice pudding in there.

I still want to know what it is that's so different about the sausages here? I don't eat them anymore, so can't imagine how they differ. Please someone enlighten me.

Thank you please.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest17301

Heres an idea! If you miss gravy make your own, I'm sure flour, water and meat juices are the same the world over!:twitcy:

I always make my own gravy and sauces, I wouldn't touch granules (yeh right):err:

Guest claire&fred

You can get Marmite, Bisto, Hellman's Mayo and pretty much everything you want or need here. If you cannot get it in a Supermarket then I am sure there will be a British shop on a corner somewhere selling it and ripping you off in the meantime!

Woolworths do not stock hardly any British stuff but Coles do.

Claire

I don't know that I miss stuff, but when I see the british shops I'm hit with a bit of nostalgia. I saw Jaffa Cakes and Birds Custard ... now in truth I probably made custard once a year for a trifle for a party and the kids hate Jaffa cakes so we never bought them ... but seeing them made me think I wanted them (then I saw the price!!). Woolies sell Mcvities digestives and hobnobs

Ali

Archived