cartertucker

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler
Has anyone used 'First Migration'?

Kelly :smile:

Hi Kelly

The Registered Migration Agent associated with First Migration is a lady called Diane McGrath, who is based in NSW:

Migration Agents Registration Authority=

Her registration number shows that she first became MARA registered in 1996 so she must have a ton of experience by now.

I would suggest insisting that any contract for services must be a three-way contract between you, First Migration Ltd and Mrs McGrath, and I would also insist that the Contract must be governed by the law of England & Wales.

In your shoes, I would e-mail Mrs Grath directly and question her. The chances are that the person advising you in the UK will not be a MARA-registered Agent, which is why it is important to insist that Mrs McGrath personally is a party to the contract. I'd be asking Mrs McGrath to explain how much control she would really have over your file. Would everything being done in her name (eg the skills assessment and the visa application) be approved by Mrs McGrath personally before your money is spent on the Australian authorities' fees? How much direct contact would you actually have with Mrs McGrath instead of with her UK assistant?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest heljef1
Hi,

Ive read alot of threads on migration agents, but thought i'd start one where we could mayby just list who people are using & how they are finding them?

I thought it could help people just starting out looking for agents.

I would start but havent yet choosen mine! (although have 2 on my shortlist) Would someone else please do the honours! :spinny:

Kelly.:smile:

P.S Chicken Clicks for All that post ;0)

Hi there.

We're using 1st Contact Visa's based in London. Not really sure why we chose these. Our opinion is slightly mixed and would just like to say this is only our opinion - others may differ.

When we first signed up with these we found them to be very helpful indeed - always emailing and phoning to see how we were getting on with gathering info that we needed. We had to pay their fees in 2 installments. After they'd received their second installment it felt like they'd lost interest. We put it down to them being busy and we understood that we weren't there only clients but it did leave us feeling a bit deflated. We've found ourselves doing some work that really they should be doing but haven't has yet. We received a letter from them last week to say our case worker was leaving (last thursday) and we would be passed to someone else. Now we're thinking that maybe she couldn't be bothered doing anything for us as she was leaving and was gonna pass everything onto the new case worker - but we haven't heard anything from the new caseworker to introduce herself by either phone or email - am i expecting too much? We have paid them 2000 and a simple phonecall, i feel, would go along way. . . . Anyway, let's see how it goes. . . . .

Good Luck with whoever you decide to go with

Helen x

P.S. Sorry for the rant!!!!

Guest maggieandrich

which to choose. Visa bureau seems to be a large multi-national company, but you may end up being just another number to them, and quite expensive.

home2home is a small more personal company based in australia run by people from england who have gone through the whole process.

cant find home2home on the MARA list, but it may be registered under the owners name rather than a comany, and i dont know her last name, cos it's an associate i've been talking to. She, Judy Donnaly, i spoke to recently when she came to england for a visit, seemed very helpfull, full of enthusiasm and sure that we could get out there without much problem.

anyone else heard of home to home?

Guest angiebabe

We used Global Visas based in London...couldn't fault them, excellent service. Provided fantastic help during the TRA part. Direct line to Agent and she always answered her phone! :notworthy:

Guest maggieandrich
I'll ask Judy to reply.

Best regards.

Do you know Judy?

I've found out a bit about the company, it's actually "migratemates" run by "Sherie Blakesly" not a cherry at all! :confused: and Home2home is, i think, the relocation part of it, helping to find a home etc.

but i'm more confused tha ever now. origanally both judy and sherie said an employee sponsered visa, either permanant or temp would be the way to go, and that even with a temp, my OH (who's a plasterer) would have no trouble getting a job. great.

spoke to a lady this morning, and now there's no-one attemping to sponser at the moment...so that leaves us going on a skilled independant, and hoping we get get work when out there.

am gonna email sherie now and get everything straight from her

Yes, you're right Maggie, Home2Home aren't a migration agent - we do the resettlement side of things here in Adelaide, as well as offering a recruitment service, which you can use whether you are going through a migration agent or not - the website is www.h2h.com.au if you want to have a read. We can help out with lots of on-the-ground research into such things as suburbs, schools, accommodation, jobs, as well as the ongoing support when you get here - including the social side of things. Adelaide is certainly very much a "who you know" type of place, which can be pretty frustrating when you've just moved from the other side of the world, and all the jobs seem to get offered to "insiders" before they've even been advertised! We've found that it helps a lot if we go round to potential employers, taking someone's CV with us, and talk to them face to face about what they'd be missing out on by not at least meeting the person for an interview when they arrive here!

Sherie at MigrateMates is based on the Gold Coast and has helped out several of our clients, which is why Judy and she shared a stand at the recent Emigrate Show, but Judy works with a lot of other good agents too both in the UK and here in Australia as the services we offer are more about research and assistance when you know you're definitely coming here, thanks to the work of the agents!

We have been doing our bit spreading the word amongst employers about the possibility of sponsoring but we are not migration agents. There is definitely plenty of work out here for plasterers but like in the rest of the world, I think employers are a bit un-nerved by where this whole worldwide recession is heading, so the employer-sponsored option has got that little bit harder.

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but just wanted to make sure no-one gets the wrong idea about what Home2Home does!

Diane

Guest maggieandrich

i didnt meet judy at the emigrate show, we met when she was at a stand in a shop! this is where the confusion has come about i think, i thought sherie and judy were part of the same company. but i've got it sorted out now. have found sherie's website and been in contact with her. will prob be in contact more with h2h, when things are moving a bit along with the visa!

Guest Rob Spiby
which to choose. Visa bureau seems to be a large multi-national company, but you may end up being just another number to them, and quite expensive.

home2home is a small more personal company based in australia run by people from england who have gone through the whole process.

cant find home2home on the MARA list, but it may be registered under the owners name rather than a comany, and i dont know her last name, cos it's an associate i've been talking to. She, Judy Donnaly, i spoke to recently when she came to england for a visit, seemed very helpfull, full of enthusiasm and sure that we could get out there without much problem.

anyone else heard of home to home?

We came here with home to home in April, i can`t speak highly enough of judy and the team.You are right when you say you get a personal touch with home to home.We were helped in every aspect of the migration process once we arrived in Australia, because believe me when you touch down it only just begins.Judy and the people at h2h were there whenever we needed them,even for basic info such as where to get teabags.Judy also has all the information on hand for tax file numbers,centrelink,medicare and all the mundane but necessary paperwork,which i found a minefield but Judy walked us through it within a week.I am happy to say we still keep in regular contact and have become good friends, which is what we felt like from day one.I have no hesitation in recommending them for future migrants.Good on yer Judy

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I just read your message and we have been recommended John Graham Adams by ACTS. We have thousands of questions about the procedure etc, however, he seems to be a bit reluctant to answere these.

We have not paid the deposit yet and won't do so until we have all the facts cleared up, but we struggle to get the answers we need.

It would be great and really helpful if you could let us know your experiences with him.

Many thanks and a Happy 2009!!

Andrea

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Andrea

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I suggest that you chat with several firms - and get prices from them all - before attempting to decide who to use.

Personally I'd say avoid anyone who will not work for you for a fixed, pre-agreed price.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest MICHAEL POOLE

hi new to site we are using 1st contact very good 163 visa ap loged june c.o aponted sep just sent meds and police cqs off so fingers cros so far so good

• 3 weeks later...
Guest letmein

Hi, we have enquired with access migration.com, they seem friendly and work on a no visa no fee basis, still haven't signed up yet as I am unsure if I could do this alone, the biggest challenge we have so far is getting the assessment done as I don't have formal qualifications, this will mean the ££££ mounting up, will let you know what I choose

Hi, we have enquired with access migration.com, they seem friendly and work on a no visa no fee basis, still haven't signed up yet as I am unsure if I could do this alone, the biggest challenge we have so far is getting the assessment done as I don't have formal qualifications, this will mean the ££££ mounting up, will let you know what I choose

Good luck with getting the assessment completed and with the rest of the application process

Tania X:jiggy:

Guest colletteblue
we are using visa bureau, no complaints so far, easy to get hold of, always answere our emails and any messages we leave on the phone, always keep us up to date with progress, keep you posted as time goes on.

Dawn

we are using visa bureau and have had 3 different case workers, very slow in getting back to us, as pathway d has been taken away don,t seem interested in us , feel like iv,e wasted £1300, now there asking us if we still want them to act for us still, don,t seem to give you much information

bill :wacko:

Guest colletteblue
Hope things get better for you Bill, what have you decided to do, still use them or change

Tania X

hi tania thanks not sure, cant get past tra looking for aqf3 trainer but can,t find one for drainer so stuck till then looking at any way just to get in but time not on our side 42 years young

cheers bill

Guest The Wager Family

Hi,

We used 'This is Australia' we met them at one of the Emigrate shows. They are based in Australia and have been excellent. We now have our visa and I would totally recommend them. Remember - if you use an Australian based firm, you dont have to pay tax on the costs as they are an overseas company. Good luck!

Sarah

Guest dave&jancook

Hi

We are using "Thinking Australia"

They have been great any questions answred with no problems at all!

They really friendly and helpfull

Jan & Dave

MANCHESTER - GOLD CAST here we come!!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Letmein

Be careful of this notion. None of them say, "The visa of your choice or no fee." The usually only offer the "no visa no fee deal" when they know that the application cannot possibly fail. Therefore the only visa they are often prepared to apply for on behalf of the client is a Student visa because anybody who is solvent and has a pulse is assured of being able to obtain one.

Be cautious, too, about which country's law governs the proposed contract. Unless the contract is governed by the law of England & Wales you would not be able to sue on itin the courts in E&W. I've seen instances of clients in the UK losing out because the Agent has turned out to be in New Zealand and the contract is governed by New Zealand law, even though the client went to the Agency's premises in London and was persuaded to sign the contract whilst he was there.

Which is sharp practice but there is no "cooling off" period when the contract is not subject to the law of England & Wales. It is not realistic to suppose that an aggrieved British client will traipse all the way to NZ and instruct NZ solicitors to sue in the court in NZ on his behalf either. Besides, if you are minded to sign a contract governed by NZ Law, it would be a good idea to contact an independent NZ solicitor - ie nothing to do with the migration agency - before doing so in order to ask exactly what sort of protection the contract would give you under NZ Law.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived