Moving back home

Guest the_zings

Guest the_zings

Hi there,

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it costs for removals to UK. Also, am I correct in thinking that when exporting dogs back to UK they don't need to do quarantine so long as they have had rabies vacc and blood tests and spent 6mths out ok UK since....? When we moved out here we got a company in the UK to deal with all the relevant paperwork for the dogs - is there a company over here that does that sort of thing??

We are just trying to get an idea of how much savings we need to aim for to get back!!

Guest cazbeckham

Yeah me too am wondering why you want to come back to the UK. Whereabouts are you in Oz and where in UK are you heading back to.

How long have you been in Australia?

I do know of a few people who emigrate only to return to UK after a few weeks/months saying they miss their friends.

Surely you can make new friends and I really think that 2 years is a good testing time to see is Oz is the place for you. If you are not liking Australia would it not be possible to look at another area/state?

Sorry for so many questions but there are a lot of people who can't wait to get there and find it hard when they hear of people wanting to come back to UK.

It's taken me 17 months to get my visa and months to sell house (which fingers crossed should be in last stages - just waiting on bottom 12 people of the chain of 4 to get thier fingers out and hopefully contracts should be signed within the next week or two)

Good luck

Caz

Guest the_zings

Thanks for that, that's a lot less than we were expecting - we'll look into oceansky.

I didn't really want this to turn into "I don't like Oz" thread, but in answer to those who are wondering why we are going home. Basically, I miss loads about the UK. The lush greeness, the history, the character, the quant little villages, the politeness and acknowledgement from other drivers, and I never thought I'd say this but I actually miss the class structure - so far everywhere I've been in Oz seems very poor and years behind the UK. I also miss being within 20 mins of a decent shopping area. I miss "quality" supermarkets and the variety and choice in UK supermarkets., and most of all I miss friends and family - yes I can make new friends but they will never replace old friends!

This is only my experience and opinion but the best advice I can give to anyone thinking of coming over here is do your research and then research a bit more, a recce visit is a MUST - the grass really isn't greener on the other side in our case and I can't wait to get home. I only wish we had set up a back up plan and left the dogs and furniture in the UK until we were certain this is what we wanted at least then it wouldn't be costing us a small fortune to get home.

Guest cazbeckham

Hi The Zings

Not sure its always a good thing to do a reccie visit.

Our Daughter Johatts on here, went to Australia nearly 4 years ago never having been before and her and her Husband said that they would give it two years as they thought that a few short weeks or months will not be a good test to see if the lifestyle is worth the stay.

Well they must be unique because after TWO WEEKS they decided that Oz was for them.

Sure they missed family and friends and cried a bit when thinking of them and sure she misses Debenhams and M&S but they decided on a new life and welcomed it with open arms.

They have made loads of new friends and a lot of them are from here that emigrated. The have also found new shops. I think that when moving to a new country you have to adapt to their culture or you will not like it or fit in.

I honestly think that this country has had it and although we should be out there for good ourselves next month, the one I feel sorry for is my Son who I will be leaving behind, but he is 31 and has a lovely Fiance and is close to her parents so hopefully he will get on with his life and come out to visit us.

I do wish you good luck on your return to the UK and hope that when you step off the plane in England you don't look back and say "Why did I ever come back" as a lot of people do.

Best wishes

Caz

Guest JoanneHattersley
Our Daughter Johatts on here, went to Australia nearly 4 years ago never having been before and her and her Husband said that they would give it two years as they thought that a few short weeks or months will not be a good test to see if the lifestyle is worth the stay.

Well they must be unique because after TWO WEEKS they decided that Oz was for them.

:wubclub:Thanks Mum!:smile:

Guest *KAY TEE*
Thanks for that, that's a lot less than we were expecting - we'll look into oceansky.

I didn't really want this to turn into "I don't like Oz" thread, but in answer to those who are wondering why we are going home. Basically, I miss loads about the UK. The lush greeness, the history, the character, the quant little villages, the politeness and acknowledgement from other drivers, and I never thought I'd say this but I actually miss the class structure - so far everywhere I've been in Oz seems very poor and years behind the UK. I also miss being within 20 mins of a decent shopping area. I miss "quality" supermarkets and the variety and choice in UK supermarkets., and most of all I miss friends and family - yes I can make new friends but they will never replace old friends!

This is only my experience and opinion but the best advice I can give to anyone thinking of coming over here is do your research and then research a bit more, a recce visit is a MUST - the grass really isn't greener on the other side in our case and I can't wait to get home. I only wish we had set up a back up plan and left the dogs and furniture in the UK until we were certain this is what we wanted at least then it wouldn't be costing us a small fortune to get home.

Hiya

Where abouts in Oz where you and how long did you give it. Im thinking back up plan, just in case.

Guest tim_the_taf
Hi there,

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it costs for removals to UK. Also, am I correct in thinking that when exporting dogs back to UK they don't need to do quarantine so long as they have had rabies vacc and blood tests and spent 6mths out ok UK since....? When we moved out here we got a company in the UK to deal with all the relevant paperwork for the dogs - is there a company over here that does that sort of thing??

We are just trying to get an idea of how much savings we need to aim for to get back!!

we've just been quoted between AUD5300 and 6000 + insurance, for groupage of just under a 20ft container load. from perth to surrey. no idea about dogs sorry, but sure there are firms that will sort it for you, lots of people move to the Uk.

Guest the_zings

Still waiting on a reply back from Pickfords but with regards to the dogs, we have had a very good quote of $4950 thats HALF what we paid to get them out here!

The only thing keeping me going out here is planning our move back:biglaugh:

Hi there Zings

I was just wondering how long you've been here?! and where you are?!

I've been here about six months now and am struggling to feel 'at home'.

Like you I miss all of the things you've mentioned and I agree, you may meet new friends but they'll never replace old friends or family.

I'm in a good position as we're only here temporarily (although we thought it would be forever) so I know that at the most it's two years, although I'm hoping to make it one.

I realise that we had to try to know, we'd have hated to look back in years and wonder what might have been.

As they say, some love it, some hate it, different strokes for different folks.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated on when you're going home and how it feels to be back there.

Guest Hello Kitty

I too am wondering where you are living as it seems you picked the wrong place.

I find your comment about Australia being mostly 'very poor' to be strange and very inaccurate. Australia is like the UK and the USA in that there are wealthy areas, poorer areas and everything in between. The extremes between wealth and poverty are not as great as in the U.S.A. and most Australians would fall into the middle class. Perhaps you are living in a struggling town or suburb but this is not indicative of all of Australia which is a big place with big differences between cities, towns and states. I could show you many wealthy suburbs in Melbourne, also some struggling ones but many would be comfortable middle class.

As for Australia being 'years behind', this is also not accurate. I agree that Perth (for example) is behind Melbourne and Sydney in many ways but hey, they don't seem to mind do they? For example, we have had Sunday shopping in Melbourne for 20 years and in Perth they still don't but it is obviously not something that is important to them but as we are used to the convenience of extended shopping hours we would find it annoying.My 30 year old cousin was in Melbourne from London and he commented on how cool and vibrant it was and he was very impressed with the food and coffee and thought the lifestyle here was better. He also found the houses to be bigger and more modern than your average house in the U.K. He is a single man in his 30's who lives a very social lifestyle in London. So it seems we all see things differently and as I said before Australia is a huge country and the difference between living in Darwin and Melbourne for example, is enormous. People need to research thoroughly before making decisions on where to live.

Guest the_zings
I too am wondering where you are living as it seems you picked the wrong place.

People need to research thoroughly before making decisions on where to live.

Yes I agree - we didn't research and now we are paying the price!!!! We are in Singleton NSW - so nothing like Melbourne or any of the other cities you mention. We had no choice where we ended up as it all depended on where hubby's employer sent us! Like I said earlier, Australia is NOT FOR US. It may suit others and that's fair enough. The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same thing!

I'm not the only person to comment on Australia being years behind UK so ther must be some truth in it!

Guest the_zings
Hi there Zings

I was just wondering how long you've been here?! and where you are?!

I've been here about six months now and am struggling to feel 'at home'.

Like you I miss all of the things you've mentioned and I agree, you may meet new friends but they'll never replace old friends or family.

I'm in a good position as we're only here temporarily (although we thought it would be forever) so I know that at the most it's two years, although I'm hoping to make it one.

I realise that we had to try to know, we'd have hated to look back in years and wonder what might have been.

As they say, some love it, some hate it, different strokes for different folks.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated on when you're going home and how it feels to be back there.

We've only been here 6 weeks so you are doing better than us! Hubby has to stay here for 3yrs but I am heading back to UK at the beginning of 2010 as our eldest child is due to start school in Sept 2010. If I could, I would leave tommorow but that would mean being separated from my hubby for 3yrs - 18mths is the compromise.

I'm counting the days!

Hi Zings

I just want to wish you luck with your move back to the UK. 6 weeks isnt a long time to get to know a place IMHO but you are right in what you say about Australia being right for some people and not for others.

You say that you are going to stay until 2010 so really who knows how you will feel by that time, however in the meantime it might be worth starting a thread to see if there are any people who come on here that are in your area to perhaps meet for a coffee and chat.

Good luck

Deb xx

Guest Hello Kitty
Yes I agree - we didn't research and now we are paying the price!!!! We are in Singleton NSW - so nothing like Melbourne or any of the other cities you mention. We had no choice where we ended up as it all depended on where hubby's employer sent us! Like I said earlier, Australia is NOT FOR US. It may suit others and that's fair enough. The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same thing!

I'm not the only person to comment on Australia being years behind UK so ther must be some truth in it!

I haven't been to Singleton but a small country town is worlds away from many other places in Australia. As that part of Australia has been in severe drought for many years it would have had a detrimental effect on the economy of the region. As far as country towns go in Australia some of them are wonderful, vibrant communities and others are a bit of a time warp with economic difficulties as they rely on the farming sector.

You must remember that the UK would fit into the state of Victoria so there would not be a huge difference between one area and another and it has a much larger population. Some towns in Australia are extremely isolated, geographically and in every other sense.

Guest YellowGecko

Some come out here and regret it straight away, realising they didn't have it so bad in the UK, afterall. Some grow to like it here and then decide to stay on. Others love it from the start of their new life Down Under and good on 'em.

I know I loved it to begin with but then grew homesick, which never left me, but we're going back soon anyway, so it's all good.

Wishing you well with whatever you do, the zings.

Jo x

Hiya

Where abouts in Oz where you and how long did you give it. Im thinking back up plan, just in case.

KAY TEE and THE Zings

I have put almost as much effort into a back up plan as getting out to Oz, may seem mad to most. they may feel that we are not going to give Oz a go but for us making a back up plan is taking off a huge amount of pressure.

We are renting out our home, shipping very few items, arranging the cat to have it's 'passport' as we are told this helps with returning to the UK quarantine times even down to enrolling my youngest son in the school we like and keeping the cost of flights home in the bank.

I realise that to many this will seem like madness but for me I feel that there is no pressure to make it work and we don't have to give it 2 years or 6 months or whatever. We have done reccie and for us we were glad we did. The place we thought we would settle (Gladstone) as we could make huge amounts of money, yikes, not in this life! It was really far behind what we are used to. For us we are off to Melbourne, we loved it, we are not city people by any means but for us it just seemed to have what we want. Our trip also ruled out Brisbane.Gold/Sunshine Coasts, nice for a holiday but not for us.

I wish you lots of luck,

Michelle

gary i think a backup plan is very sensible, it more like insurance, if you dont have it you might need it and rue the day btu if you get it all sorted you probs wont need it and can spend the money or whatever later on :)

Guest the_zings
KAY TEE and THE Zings

I have put almost as much effort into a back up plan as getting out to Oz, may seem mad to most. they may feel that we are not going to give Oz a go but for us making a back up plan is taking off a huge amount of pressure.

We are renting out our home, shipping very few items, arranging the cat to have it's 'passport' as we are told this helps with returning to the UK quarantine times even down to enrolling my youngest son in the school we like and keeping the cost of flights home in the bank.

I realise that to many this will seem like madness but for me I feel that there is no pressure to make it work and we don't have to give it 2 years or 6 months or whatever. We have done reccie and for us we were glad we did. The place we thought we would settle (Gladstone) as we could make huge amounts of money, yikes, not in this life! It was really far behind what we are used to. For us we are off to Melbourne, we loved it, we are not city people by any means but for us it just seemed to have what we want. Our trip also ruled out Brisbane.Gold/Sunshine Coasts, nice for a holiday but not for us.

I wish you lots of luck,

Michelle

Wow! That sounds really sensible and I so wish we had put all those back up plans in place before we moved here. Hope it all works out for you.

Archived