Queensland is it the place to be?

tracy123

I'm dreading the humidity, it's not so much a physical problem it's my frickin hair, poufs up like a massive souffle with one drop of rain over here so god knows what will happen over there, last time I was over there on holiday someone asked me 'if I always back combed my hair' and I had spent half an hour straightening it before we went out, the cheeky cow lol

x

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm dreading the humidity, it's not so much a physical problem it's my frickin hair, poufs up like a massive souffle with one drop of rain over here so god knows what will happen over there, last time I was over there on holiday someone asked me 'if I always back combed my hair' and I had spent half an hour straightening it before we went out, the cheeky cow lol

x

Like I said before.Bad hair days! lol, you sound like you have heaps more hair than me, I just look like I have crawled through a hedge backwards:biglaugh:

thanks guys, we are heading to wynnum or thereabouts, ( thats where auntie is) she says she preffered victoria for "like uk" weather, but if we wanted UK we'd stay here LOL besides if we want snow in winter we can go on holidays :D

also re hair, couldnt get mine to do anything but lie dead flat if i tried, had a perm once and it had dropped out within 2 days LOL blessing in discuise possibly

I know, I started laughing when I read your earlier post, basically it will be like having 'holiday hair' 365 days of the year, I can only hope that everyone is in the same boat as us so we blend in or even better bring back 80's perms!

x

thanks guys, we are heading to wynnum or thereabouts, ( thats where auntie is) she says she preffered victoria for "like uk" weather, but if we wanted UK we'd stay here LOL besides if we want snow in winter we can go on holidays :D

also re hair, couldnt get mine to do anything but lie dead flat if i tried, had a perm once and it had dropped out within 2 days LOL blessing in discuise possibly

Oops, over lapping posts! Sounds like we are hair opposites!

x

Guest JoanneHattersley
Is this your one eyed green monster coming out Cal? Lets face facts poms are leaving the place in droves!!!!!

Who cares if people are leaving the place? I love my life here in QLD and it has nothing to do with weather or scenery or any of the things people have mentioned. It is the fact that I am having an adventure and in the last three years I have had more together with my husband, than i had in the first 10 years of marriage.

Thats why I like it here, i value the people more than the place

Guest moonraker1961

I have to say as well if Poms are leaving Queensland in droves,surely it would make some sense to try somewhere else in Oz before throwing in the towel altogether would'nt it?

As much as I HATE QLD humidity, I could never cope with Melbourne weather-yuk ! Like being in England !! We get the impression that QLD seems to be the place the rest of Australia wants to live ! Lots and lots of Vic and NSW people have moved here and love it.

And don't mention the hair-I have the frizziest hair possible and the humidity does nothing for my hair !!

Who cares if people are leaving the place? I love my life here in QLD and it has nothing to do with weather or scenery or any of the things people have mentioned. It is the fact that I am having an adventure and in the last three years I have had more together with my husband, than i had in the first 10 years of marriage.

Thats why I like it here, i value the people more than the place

And good for you!

You slate Melbourne every chance you get, so you must like Queensland just a tad more than you make out.

The best thing about Australia every state is different it has it's own way of doing things. The truth is Queenslanders are simple now take that anyway you like but it's the truth. If simple suits you go for it. if you like the humidity go for it, if you like floods and never ending rain (when it rains) go for it. Everyone is different, but just remember when that sun is shining and you cant work or do anything and the poor kids cant eat there ice cream as its melted away to quickly because of the heat and humidity Melbourne will always be waiting exept for Jo she will need to move further south to Tasmania!

Geoffrey

As the advert for channel 9 says (sing a long you Queenslanders). Queensland, it's a part of me.........

I know I've not been here long, but I can truely say. "I'm home"

I love ther area I live in, I love my job (this is a first in over 20 years) and the people I work with.

Everything I have seen and done in Queensland (ok I've only stayed in SE) so far has been better than I thought it would be.

Horses for courses. Some will love it, some will hate it.

Frank

Guest lisaallen67

Me on OH lived in Cairns for 3 years. It was really hot and humid. We loved living there and had no problem fitting in and making friends. the weather can be overpowering but you have to choose what you want. We are heading back out this year to sunshine coast where it is a little cooler but still hot in summer. Where ever you end up you just have to try it and see. After moving from th UK a move within Oz will be a doddle!

Lisa x

Guest JoanneHattersley
And good for you!

You slate Melbourne every chance you get, so you must like Queensland just a tad more than you make out.

Geoffrey

There is no need to be like that! I dislike Melbourne! I dont slate/hate it! I have family there and am always happy to go visit but I would definately not want to live there. My family in Melbourne do not ever wanna live here! Who cares! We`re all different.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
I see QLD as somewhere you'd want to retire but not necessarily the place to live if you're young, single & still working but it all depends what you're looking for.

I personally love sunny weather but I also like the seasons, a bit of variety in life. Perhaps that's why I want to go to Melbourne, you get all of those in one day sometimes!

I have alot of aussie born friends in QLD and I know it's a lovely place.

I have a lot of family in Melbourne, they take a selection of clothes with them when ever they go out, in case the weather changes.

A Melbournian saying is "If you don't like the weather, wait a moment":smile:

Thing is when you read stories of people returning most have similar reasons and they are from all the states In Oz. I have a friend in Melbourne who wants to return for the same reasons as myself and Im in Brisbane.

Dont think Qld is to blame, more the person who is leaving.

There is no need to be like that! I dislike Melbourne! I dont slate/hate it! I have family there and am always happy to go visit but I would definately not want to live there. My family in Melbourne do not ever wanna live here! Who cares! We`re all different.

...........................................................................................................................

Hi there,

Just logged back in and read your post. WELL DONE for being so honest.

I have to say that you have said pretty much what we thought of Melbourne. (this post what Jo agrees with is bellow this post) We live in Brissie and flew to Melbourne to see family. We had good reports from people as you had. Sorry to say (to those in Vic) but I hated it! I was so happy when the pilot said "welcome home to Brisbane"

It is a good thing that not everyone is the same in this world. For you and me that didnt like Melbourne there will be 10, 20 or more out there that do. It would be the same for Brissie too!

Well done in your honesty and see you in QLD! Spring starts here on September 1st!! LOL!

Joanne :cool:

Brisbane since Feb 2005.

"POZZIE" - HAPPY AND LOVIN` IT

Melbourne is a dump!

After reading a few threads when I was still in the UK about how awful Melbourne was, my first thought was that the people were just homesick. Now I realise they were not negative homesick posts, they were honest posts, Melbourne is really awful (and I am not homesick)!!

I have been to Oz before, and have travelled from Cairns all the way to Sydney (via Brisbane) by car over a number of weeks. I absolutely loved almost all the areas we saw. Cairns with its palm trees, Brisbane with its incredible beaches, Sydney with its great shops and vibe. My OH and I decided to come to Melbourne as we have some family here - we decided to give it a try even though we had never been to Melbourne, with the thought that we could move to Brisbane if we didn't like it. So many people we have spoken to have who had been to Melbourne only had good things to say about it, so we were very positive!

The drive back from the airport to our accommodation through Melbourne was awful. The streets are awful, I was shocked at the amount of grafitti that is everywhere. I had heard there was graffiti, and this didnt bother me as I know that most cities do. But, I have never seen a city with as much graffiti as here - and I have visited many countries. Not a good first impression.

We have now been here for a few weeks and have spent hours each day driving around to find a decent area to live. There arent many. Brighton was about the best that I saw, admittedly it is lovely there, but crazily expensive. I had a long list of possible places to live from recommendations, including Mornington and Mount Martha, and even those areas are not nice (in my opinion).

I had also heard that Melbourne had many great restaurants. Where are they? I have looked around the city, and all the restaurants I have seen look like school cafeterias, very small, run down, with only one or two customers, I wouldnt want to eat in any of them.

Ok, to be fair there are a few positive points. The people are friendly. The trams are great and seem to run on time. There is also a lot more parking in Melbourne than London. But thats it. The weather has rained non stop since we arrived 3 weeks ago and has been freezing - the locals say Spring will only come in November. Thats a few more months of miserable weather. Dont come to Melbourne if you are moving to Oz for the weather, its no better than the UK...!

Sorry if I sound negative, I am just incredibly shocked with Melbourne and very confused how many people love it here when I think its nothing short of awful! I am 24 and my OH is 29, so we are still 'with the times' - what are we missing with Melbourne that everyone else sees?

We will wait for our shipping to arrive in 3 weeks, and then we are heading up to Brisbane where the weather is a lot better, the areas are a lot better, there is less graffiti and the people are just as friendly. I'm afraid for us, the grass is 100 times greener in Queensland!

A word of advice - if you havent been to Melbourne, do not assume that you will like it. I only wish we had visited it first so we could have missed out on this horid place and went straight to Brissie!

Hayley

Sorry I think you have been cought out Jo. It clearly says you Hate Melbourne and agree with the post of Hayley who is having a right go at Melbourne. No good lying Jo you get found out! It's OK to hate a state you can't be positive about every place you go.

All the best

Geoffrey

As the advert for channel 9 says (sing a long you Queenslanders). Queensland, it's a part of me.........

I know I've not been here long, but I can truely say. "I'm home"

I love ther area I live in, I love my job (this is a first in over 20 years) and the people I work with.

Everything I have seen and done in Queensland (ok I've only stayed in SE) so far has been better than I thought it would be.

Horses for courses. Some will love it, some will hate it.

Frank

Channel Nine's tune does it for me and OH too! ..... even brings a tear to my OH's eye!

and your post is spot on as well!

Lyn

Guest YellowGecko
Channel Nine's tune does it for me and OH too! ..... even brings a tear to my OH's eye!

and your post is spot on as well!

Lyn

Haha! HOW catchy is that cheesy ident's song?!! I keep getting told off by hubby for singing it around the house, cos he works for an opposing station, but I love the ident (and the cheesiness!). It's betterer than the other channel's...

:twitcy:

Jo x

Haha! HOW catchy is that cheesy ident's song?!! I keep getting told off by hubby for singing it around the house, cos he works for an opposing station, but I love the ident (and the cheesiness!). It's betterer than the other channel's...

:twitcy:

Jo x

Bl**dy tunes stuck in my head now LOL :biglaugh:

Lyn x

Archived