Languages in Australian Schools

eammon

LOTE (Languages Other than English) or whatever it is called these days depends on what the school fancies and what it can find teachers to teach. They tend to usually be asian languages - Japanese, Indonesian, Mandarin etc but occasionally you might find French.

They are supposed to be in the curriculum from the beginning of school but that generally comes out as learning some phrases and appreciating the culture. It isnt until you get into late HS that they really seriously begin to learn the language and often do international visits so that people can practice in situ.

Guest The Pom Queen

In Victoria we find it is French and Japansese. A lot of the primary schools start teaching Japanese at a young age. My son had to make a choice between French and Japanese in Yr 8 and he opted for Japanese.

Thanks.....

Kerry's doing French and about to start Spanish. She's not enjoying French too much and we were thinking about getting her some extra tuition to help her on her way a bit, but there's probably little point with the plan to move across to WA, unless it's widely taught in the schools over there.

Denise x

We have a local Alliance Francaise which does out of school French lessons for any kids who are interested. You may find one wherever you are going in a large metropolitan area. We are also (I think) the only state which has a French speaking school which does the IB - supported by the French embassy and the French teachers are employed by them. Certainly their level of expertise with the language is outstanding and most kids are bilingual.

Mmmmmm - perhaps we should do the extra tuition bit just to be on the safe side. As I said, she's not particularly enjoying French after her first year at senior school, but I think it's more that she lacks confidence after not getting off to a very good start.

Denise x

Archived