Help dog has failed blood tests!

pongobongo

wow! they are crazy high. The vets who deal with Parair are used to dealing with these things so will be able to help. Your dog just has a really strong immune system and has made loads fo antibodies to the vaccinations. If it is not coming down then you may need to consider the NZ for 90 days option. I am off for 2 weeks, as i said, if i can help let me know. if you were using vets who knew nothing about this, then you would struggle, but parair are good and their vets should know lots about this. Good luck for the next test

Guest The Pom Queen

Flash that is the highest I have seen. We have seen good results using doxycycline orally for 14 days (I would recommend a dose of 2.5-5mg/kg daily) or dihydrostreptomycin injections for 5 days you could maybe see if this will help.

Guest The Pom Queen

Just a quick one Flash has your dog any kidney problems and has it had a full blood test recently?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest je59726

Hi,

I am having the same problem with my 12 yr old english bull terrier who is on medication for allergies. He has failed his ehrlichia blood test again after receiving the 10 day course of doxycycline. The thing is the labs have taken 5 days from taking the bloods to testing it so I am wondering if this is the reason. I am taking one last ditch attempt on monday by getting his bloods taken and then rushing the blood down for testing on Monday so they can do a repeat test on new blood. Any further suggestions would really help. Should I put him on the doxycycline again?

Fingers crossed for all of you!!

I know it's silly but now I'm worrying about our Satchdog failing her bloods :( She's a rescue and before we got her at almost 6yrs of age, hadn't been vaccinated at all after her puppy shots! (insert very rude words here for irresponsible pet owners)

So her first ever (double round) jabs (which unfortunately included lepto) were in Nov & Dec last year. She's booked in October, I'm really, really really hoping for good things....

Our own vet is an LVI (or whatever it's called now) and has some experience, but without knowing Satch's full history (or more likely the complete lack of one) I just don't know.

Fingers crossed all this worry is for nothing and she passes with flying colours....

• 4 weeks later...
Guest christina

Hi,

this is an update on my dog failing the ehrlichia test.he was unable to fly the week before us in may this year. we had to go and relunctantly left him with my parents. We are now living in Sydney.

he has had weekly blood tests and fortnightly doxycycline antibiotic courses since then.We did get it down fron 1:320 to 1:160 then1:80 but it yoyos back up and does not go beyond the 1:80 (needs to be 1:40). It has cost close to £2000 now. We have had a 3 week break and we are starting him back on the doxycycline (safe to use in humans and dogs) and retesting again on monday. we cannot give up on him as he is a member of our family and very much missed. I will let you know what happens. A big thank you to Bob at Petair for all his advice.

Christina

Dear Jo and John

Hold tight and dont worry until the tests are done, they are really difficult to predict and problems are very rare indeed. From my own point of view (just my humble opinion and not backed up by any scientific facts!). The dogs who fail their lepto tests tend to be the older dogs who have had regular vaccinations all their lives - the vaccinations seem to have a cumulative effect. I have seen 4 (that i can remember) dogs (2 Golden retreivers and 2 beagles) who have very recently had the double vaccination as the initial course and then around 2 months later have no antibodies to the vaccination - so they passed the lepto tests.

Dont worry until the bloods have been done problems are very rare

Christina - great to hear it is going in the right direction, you only need one negative and then you are set. Just keep abreast of the changes around the rabies vaccinations which may be coming round and make treble sure that your vet applies the antitick treatment each and every time as if he does not adn it comes back negative, you cant use the result!

Dear Jo and John

Hold tight and dont worry until the tests are done, they are really difficult to predict and problems are very rare indeed. From my own point of view (just my humble opinion and not backed up by any scientific facts!). The dogs who fail their lepto tests tend to be the older dogs who have had regular vaccinations all their lives - the vaccinations seem to have a cumulative effect. I have seen 4 (that i can remember) dogs (2 Golden retreivers and 2 beagles) who have very recently had the double vaccination as the initial course and then around 2 months later have no antibodies to the vaccination - so they passed the lepto tests.

Dont worry until the bloods have been done problems are very rare

Thanks Bob :)

I s'pose there's got to be some advantage to her being a little neglected during the life she had before we adopted her! Satch is booked into our vets next Monday evening for her blood tests and we're keeping our fingers crossed!

Everytime I look at her at the moment I feel guilty for putting her through it all, but I can't even imagine leaving the soppy girl behind.

Fingers crossed we sell our cars soon so we can pay for everything without touching our savings!!!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Karen and Colin

Same thing has happend to our dog. Can't believe it. Christina & Pongobongo can you offer any advice or updates on what is happening with your dogs. Getting really stessed out as we have Luca booked to fly on the 31st Ocotber and not sure if we have enough time now or not. Can't even contemplate going without him. This is such a nightmare.

Archived