just moved to north lakes

Guest Anna .s

Guest Anna .s

hi all,

just joined site. have just moved over from WA, before that uk me my husband and daughter aged 8, we are all really enjoying being here. but now daughter at school husband at work, im at a loose end, if anyone's up for coffee and chat would be great.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donovan

Hiya Anna

Welcome to PIO, I live on the Gold Coast, but visit North Lakes once, twice a week, great area to settle.

Sarah x

Guest Sam&Si

Hi Anna,

We arrive in Brisbane in December, staying in Redcliffe to begin with and will be looking at North Lakes, always up for a chat!

Cheers

Are you really going in December you lucky things. We have just had an email from agent requested various documents for the visa, I am in a state of shock. They want my marriage certificate from my first wedding, good god that was 20 years ago, its been well and truly destroyed! and p60 's and p45's going back three yearss, also out passports need renewing as not enough years on them. I am in a state of shock I thought they sait the TRA was the hard part.:arghh:Good luck to you though it must be great to know you are finally going!

Guest Sam&Si

Hey Cath,

We're very lucky in the fact that I can whip out my NZ passport if the PR doesn't come through in time (looks like it won't, apparently they are still stuck on November applications?!!). Si will need to get a temp spouse visa though, but can be done in a few weeks so we're gonna give it another month or so. But either way we thought stuff it, we just need to get out of here, Christmas Day on the beach versus lolling on sofa in freezing Cardiff watching Jason & the Aggernauts or Zulu.....so it's the Crimbo on the beach for us! Can't believe how expensive the flights were though - £1900!!!!

x

Guest julie2g1b

hi anna

just wanted to say hi and welcome to pio ...............

what made you move from WA as this is where were heading, how long was

you there is it very quite would love to hear all about your experiences of

WA ..................

good luck

julie :wubclub:

Guest Anna .s

hi julie,

well it seem's that's where your heading, so dont want to put you off. im an essex girl, i enjoy shopping, abit of life around the place. so perth was the wrong place for me.

we where there for just over a year. i wish you luck in your move over there. if you want to know any thing happy to help.

Hi Anna,

You sound in same boat as me! Moved to North Lakes a couple of weeks ago from UK. The kids have started school today. Boys aged 12 & 10 & a girl aged 7. Hubby is a brickie & at work so I would love to meet for coffee/chat. Let me know if you fancy it & maybe if kids/hubby interested as well? Just hope I can find thread again coz this is all very new to me!

Sue

Guest ameliaandpeter

Hi Anna/ Sue,

Hope to be out in Oct 08. One of the places looking at North Lakes. Wondered it u had started in holiday rental/ short term rental? Whether you could recogmend any local agents.

Hope u guys are settling in ok. Still trying to get my head round move.

Take Care

Amelia

Guest hughesfamily

Hi Sue, from your description of your family, i think you are the lady we met on the plane and then again at warner brothers world! Hope you are settling in your new house in North Lakes and that it is turning out as you imagined! We had a great time in Oz, just have to wait and see now if we can sell the house! Lizx

Guest The Wheatleys

We are arriving in Brisbane on 29 October and are staying in Redcliffe for three weeks to give us some time to find a rental and get our girls, 7 and 9 into school. North Lakes is where we are heading. When we came over in January we were very impressed with the area so we thought we would use that as a starting point for our "Australian Adventure". My husband is a brickie and is hoping to find work quite quickly as there were lots of adverts when we came over at the beginning of the year. Did your husband find getting a job okay?

Just counting the days until we leave!!:jiggy:

Guest Anna .s

hi Amelia,

we are renting for 6mths, to make sure this is the place for us. And so far think it is, the school is great, my daughter really enjoying it. and good location for work my husband aplumber. we rented from spectrum but there is a strip of real estate agents in north lakes that all do rentals. hope this helps Anna x

Guest ameliaandpeter

Hi,

Thanks for info will check out there website. My OH also a plumber just wonder what the work situ was like. Have heard here that can be abit of prob getting licenses. I have 2 boys 7 1/2 and nearly 3. The oldests request is a pool. Saw u have moved from Perth was that work reason? Sorry i'm very nosey guess it's the unknown. Have been to oz a couple of times on holiday/rekkie but living it must be totally different.

Thanks again any advise greatly appreciated.

Amelia x

Guest Anna .s

hi Amelia,

No we didn't leave perth cos of work. there was plenty over there. And seem's to be the same here, my husband found ajob straight away. But he all ready had his Licence's from WA so just had to pay to swap them over, "easy" But i will tell you this, when you first get over here it is hard. your husband will have to go and do courses at college to show he can do the work for his gas and plumbing. And if your husband wants to set up on his own, he cant till he get's his contractors licence. And i think that's a 10wk course full time at college again.that was for WA anyway. My husband at work, so hope i've given you the right info. Anna

IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT IN THE LONG RUN

Hi Amelia

I would certainly say living here is different to a holiday! Lots to sort out. We are renting for 6 months, this seems the norm for a rental contract. We rented through North Star property services. To be honest there doesnt seem to be much about with a pool but others will correct me if I'm wrong. Houses with air con are more exp but probably worth the extra. Havent been here in summer yet but I suppose time will tell! Loads of work for brickies, but its early starts - 6 or 6.30 am & finish at 2.30 or 3. My hubby leaves house at 5.30! This is normal for building type work.

Happy to help any way I can. Look us up when you get here.

Sue

Hi Liz!

Yes its me! Hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday. You decided to go for it then?

Its really nice here at North Lakes & kids have finally started school so its time for me to get on with things- its quite difficult getting all the boring admin stuff done with 3 kids in tow! I know they call it little britain but poms are well in the minority. My kids all have one other British kid in their class.

Good luck with selling the house, hope its not too long b4 you make it out here.

Take care, Sue

Hi again!

Forgot to say, your hubby will need a blue card, its like a health & safety/ tax card. You cant get on site without one. My hubby applied when he got here but apparently you can do it from the uk online. Its a pretty simple process.

Sue

Guest The Wheatleys
Hi again!

Forgot to say, your hubby will need a blue card, its like a health & safety/ tax card. You cant get on site without one. My hubby applied when he got here but apparently you can do it from the uk online. Its a pretty simple process.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the info. My husband has already applied for his blue card on-line. We heard the brickies start early but its nice they finish early too! Has he had any problems with the ozzies as we were told they can be a bit hostile to the poms on the buildings?

Are your children going to North Lakes as this was where we were planning on sending our girls? I'm glad you said there aren't too many brits living in North Lakes as I have heard it called "Little Britain" too. I would like to think we will try and integrate as much as possible but until we arrive - who can tell?

I have so many questions, I think I will bore the pants off everyone if I carry-on! Thanks again for your kind reply.

Esme x

Guest Sandra,Mike and boys
We are arriving in Brisbane on 29 October and are staying in Redcliffe for three weeks to give us some time to find a rental and get our girls, 7 and 9 into school. North Lakes is where we are heading. When we came over in January we were very impressed with the area so we thought we would use that as a starting point for our "Australian Adventure". My husband is a brickie and is hoping to find work quite quickly as there were lots of adverts when we came over at the beginning of the year. Did your husband find getting a job okay?

Just counting the days until we leave!!:jiggy:

Hi

We arrive on Oct 30th and are staying in the Redcliffe area but are looking to rent long term at North lakes for the same reasons as others have mentioned. Were out there in June/July and very impressed with the area and the state college.

How is everything going with your move? We have the removals coming on Monday so are abit like headless chickens at the mo!!!!!

Sandra X

Archived