just moved to north lakes

Guest Anna .s

Guest Sandra,Mike and boys
Hi Anna,

You sound in same boat as me! Moved to North Lakes a couple of weeks ago from UK. The kids have started school today. Boys aged 12 & 10 & a girl aged 7. Hubby is a brickie & at work so I would love to meet for coffee/chat. Let me know if you fancy it & maybe if kids/hubby interested as well? Just hope I can find thread again coz this is all very new to me!

Sue

Hi Anna and Sue

I am moving over in just 8 weeks now!!!!!!! Would love to meet up once over and sorted.

We are using a holiday let in Redcliffe area and then booking our rental once over- did you have to have your north lakes rental address before you could register the children at school?

Sandra X

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Wheatleys
Hi

We arrive on Oct 30th and are staying in the Redcliffe area but are looking to rent long term at North lakes for the same reasons as others have mentioned. Were out there in June/July and very impressed with the area and the state college.

How is everything going with your move? We have the removals coming on Monday so are abit like headless chickens at the mo!!!!!

Sandra X

Hi Sandra

How funny we are all going to be arriving the same time and staying in the same place!!! How old are your boys?

The time is ticking away really quickly and we are trying to sell everything as we are not bringing a large amount of stuff, just a few loved toys and personal items like photos etc. We are renting and have pretty much got rid of most things!

Once the girls go back to school I know those last couple of weeks are going to fly by!

Can't wait to get over there and get things rolling, then we'll know if we've done the right thing!!!!!

Esme x

Hi Sandra

How funny we are all going to be arriving the same time and staying in the same place!!! How old are your boys?

The time is ticking away really quickly and we are trying to sell everything as we are not bringing a large amount of stuff, just a few loved toys and personal items like photos etc. We are renting and have pretty much got rid of most things!

Once the girls go back to school I know those last couple of weeks are going to fly by!

Can't wait to get over there and get things rolling, then we'll know if we've done the right thing!!!!!

Esme x

Hi Esme

Harrison is 5 -6 in march- so going into yr 1 and Jacob will be 4 in Dec.

Did you say you'd been to north lakes before? if not then I am sure you will really like it. We stayed in Margate-just by Redcliffe- when we were over in June and have decided on a holiday let in the margate/redcliffe/scarborough area- still havn't booked it yet but down to a choice of 2!- as we felt it was a good location and not too far from North lakes to sort out longterm rental etc.

Harrison is back to school on Wednesday, and I think you're right, the time will fly by. What date do you fly out. We have decided to stop in Singapore for a few days so leave here on Sun26th but don't get to Brisbane til thurs 30th.

S X

Guest The Wheatleys

Hi Sandra

Yes, we went over in January and toured round. We stayed on the Gold Coast, in the City centre and in Bray Park and really liked North Lakes. We live in a similar area here in Swindon, it has new housing and a new shopping area. We can cycle to the shops via bike paths and thought North Lakes seemed the same but obviously with a lot more to offer!

We are flying Singapore as we did before as we were really impressed with them. We fly out on 29th and arrive on 30th.

Do you have any friends or family in Oz? We met some people when we came over in January but other than that we will be alone!!!

Esme x

Hi

We have no family but had some pre-arranged barbies for when we were on our rekkie, some through PIO, some through contacts of friends in the UK, and feel fortunate that we have some great poeple we have kept in contact with. Still, it will definately be hard to start wth. I also chat to Amelia (amelia and peter) a lot- hi Amelia- and she is also arriving at the same time as us, so it will be a race as to who will hold a barbie for who first-lol

I know I will really miss my friends from home a lot, and it will probably hit once all the rushing around is over and Mike(OH) starts work and the children are at school and nursery. I recently re-trained as a massage therapist but want to get the children sorted before I can fully concentrate on that.

S X

Guest ameliaandpeter

Sue/ Anna

thanks for advice, am warning you i'll be asking some more. Think OH will hijack this thread with some work queries, so apologies now.

am looking up holiday rental at the moment but all rests on completion of hse, at draft contract stage. think thats whats doing my head in as have no control over dates etc.

can't believe didn't look at north lakes when activating jan08.

Thanks for invite

Amelia x

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the info. My husband has already applied for his blue card on-line. We heard the brickies start early but its nice they finish early too! Has he had any problems with the ozzies as we were told they can be a bit hostile to the poms on the buildings?

Are your children going to North Lakes as this was where we were planning on sending our girls? I'm glad you said there aren't too many brits living in North Lakes as I have heard it called "Little Britain" too. I would like to think we will try and integrate as much as possible but until we arrive - who can tell?

I have so many questions, I think I will bore the pants off everyone if I carry-on! Thanks again for your kind reply.

Esme x

Hi Esme,

Hubby hasnt had any probs with the aussies being hostile, he gets on well with all the guys he works with, most are aussies, some brits & some South Africans & kiwis. You just need to make sure you look after yourself as some of them can take advantage if you're not careful but you can get that anywhere in the world, partic in the building game.

Kids only done a couple of days at the school, middle son v happy, other 2 okay as well but its a very big school so my youngest struggles with that a bit. It has a good reputation & teachers all seem nice.

We want to integrate as well but its nice to know that the poms all look after each other coz we've all been thru the same thing. Take care.

Sue

Hi Anna and Sue

I am moving over in just 8 weeks now!!!!!!! Would love to meet up once over and sorted.

We are using a holiday let in Redcliffe area and then booking our rental once over- did you have to have your north lakes rental address before you could register the children at school?

Sandra X

Hi Sandra,

Yes you need proof of address such as lease agreement b4 you can register kids. Would be happy to meet up, get in touch when you get here. Good luck!

Sue

Guest The Wheatleys
Hi Esme,

Hubby hasnt had any probs with the aussies being hostile, he gets on well with all the guys he works with, most are aussies, some brits & some South Africans & kiwis. You just need to make sure you look after yourself as some of them can take advantage if you're not careful but you can get that anywhere in the world, partic in the building game.

Kids only done a couple of days at the school, middle son v happy, other 2 okay as well but its a very big school so my youngest struggles with that a bit. It has a good reputation & teachers all seem nice.

We want to integrate as well but its nice to know that the poms all look after each other coz we've all been thru the same thing. Take care.

Sue

Hiya Sue

This makes my husband feel a lot better.

I'm glad your children are getting on okay at the school. I have heard of a couple of people saying it is quite a big school and v daunting for the little ones. My two are a bit older so hopefully it won't faze them too much (fingers crossed). They're just looking forward to getting there and then starting the school summer holidays again!!!

I agree it is nice the poms look out for each other. That's how we met the only people we know in Brisbane. When we were over in January, they stopped us and chatted to us in one of the show homes in North Lakes and then invited us to their house for a barbie. Lovely people from Birmingham.

Esme x

Hi Sue

Thanks for that. I thought that would be the case. Harrison will be happy then as it means longer off school!!!

Guest Anna .s
Sue/ Anna

thanks for advice, am warning you i'll be asking some more. Think OH will hijack this thread with some work queries, so apologies now.

am looking up holiday rental at the moment but all rests on completion of hse, at draft contract stage. think thats whats doing my head in as have no control over dates etc.

can't believe didn't look at north lakes when activating jan08.

Thanks for invite

Amelia x

Hi Amelia,

yes that's fine, will get my husband to reply to the plumbing Q's. Good luck with the house sale. Anna

Hi Amelia, plumbing/Drainage Licence's not hard to get, just very time consuming when your life is busy enough with 2 full time workers in the house and a family. Also hard to get motivated when the sun is shining and the beach is whispering your name. Battle on.

Work for Plumbers not a problem, Their's always a blckage on a falling down Queenslander to clear.

Dale

Hi all,

Where did you get your holiday lets, We're heading out early January and plan Redcliffe area,and redcliffe high for our son. OH is mental health nurse and has post in Royal brisbane.

Trying to get everything sorted and so far failing on the holiday lets. How long is advisable for a holiday let.

Any advise will be appreciated

Hi all,

Where did you get your holiday lets, We're heading out early January and plan Redcliffe area,and redcliffe high for our son. OH is mental health nurse and has post in Royal brisbane.

Trying to get everything sorted and so far failing on the holiday lets. How long is advisable for a holiday let.

Any advise will be appreciated

Hi there,

My hubby already over here b4 me & kids arrived so he sorted a holiday let(on gold coast although we decided on North Lakes in the end), so sorry I cant help you there.

There is a tourist information centre in Redcliffe though so if you can find them they might be able to help.

We had our holiday let for 3 weeks in the end, had planned longer but were fed up of being on top of each other (theres 5 of us). If youve decided on Redcliffe as an area you shouldnt need too long in the holiday let. We had to prove our address b4 we could get kids into school so you need to think about that.

Also think about when your container is coming from the uk (if it is!) A lot of people take on a lease on a rented house & buy the basics or borrow stuff until it comes. That is what we are doing - its amazing what you can manage without!

Hope this helps a bit, Good Luck

Sue

Hi I run a relocation business and have been relocating a few families to the North Lakes area, if you would like any help please feel free to PM me or check out my website below

Sarah x

Hi, can anyone advise me on Murrumba Downs or North Quarter? i love nth lakes but wondered if these areas was nice too? any feedback would be great. thanks

hi julie,

well it seem's that's where your heading, so dont want to put you off. im an essex girl, i enjoy shopping, abit of life around the place. so perth was the wrong place for me.

we where there for just over a year. i wish you luck in your move over there. if you want to know any thing happy to help.

Hi Anna, im too an essex girlie from Hornchurch, we are planning to come and live in nth lakes just before xmas but still trying to sell /rent our house here, how u getting on there? are you missing home yet? im getting really nervous about it. Where u from in essex?

Hi Chrissy, Murrumba Downs/North Quarter is very nice. With a 10min drive to all the ammenaties of NL. Their is also a new shopping area being built at the moment. Only minor draw back is the on off ramps to the highway - you have to drive the back way through Kallangur when heading North and exiting south. But up and down to the city no worries. Like i said no real issue.

All the best with your decission

Dale

hi chrissy,

im from chelmsford, yes really like it here, not missing home. when i was in perth wamted to go home every day of the week. but happy in north lakes the school's good. i have a big shopping centre up the road. what more could a girl ask for.

well will keep my fingers crossed you can sell house over there. what does your husband do for work?

it's funny i met another girl from romford the other day. Anyway when you get over will have to meet up for a few wines/coffee's. all the best anna

hi chrissy,

im from chelmsford, yes really like it here, not missing home. when i was in perth wamted to go home every day of the week. but happy in north lakes the school's good. i have a big shopping centre up the road. what more could a girl ask for.

well will keep my fingers crossed you can sell house over there. what does your husband do for work?

it's funny i met another girl from romford the other day. Anyway when you get over will have to meet up for a few wines/coffee's. all the best anna

Hi Anna, great news your happy in NL. We visited NL in march and loved it, which school does your kiddy go private or state? My hubby is a carpenter so hopefully he should get work as soon as we arrive. May i ask you a question, who did your shipping with and how long did you wait? would u recommend them? also have you any tips regarding the move? many thanks Anna. Have a lovely day.

Hi Anna, great news your happy in NL. We visited NL in march and loved it, which school does your kiddy go private or state? My hubby is a carpenter so hopefully he should get work as soon as we arrive. May i ask you a question, who did your shipping with and how long did you wait? would u recommend them? also have you any tips regarding the move? many thanks Anna. Have a lovely day.

hi chrissy,

im thinking you mean when we moved to aus from uk. we used pss and i have nothing but good to say about them, when the blokes came to pack they where very careful with everything and really nice to my daughter, as she was worried about all her stuff, nothing was lost or broken. they even wrapped sofa's,fridge ect in thick brown paper, Think it took around 6/7 weeks from uk to perth.

Yes looked in paper the other day and there were jobs for chippy's. But think things are getting a bit tight on the jobs front. some may say other wise.

my daughter goes NL state.

As for tips, well if i could start over there are so many things i would do different. But anyway. bring all your household goods over. Dont rush in to buying ahouse rent for awhile get afeel for the place, I could go on &on .......... Anna

hi chrissy,

im thinking you mean when we moved to aus from uk. we used pss and i have nothing but good to say about them, when the blokes came to pack they where very careful with everything and really nice to my daughter, as she was worried about all her stuff, nothing was lost or broken. they even wrapped sofa's,fridge ect in thick brown paper, Think it took around 6/7 weeks from uk to perth.

Yes looked in paper the other day and there were jobs for chippy's. But think things are getting a bit tight on the jobs front. some may say other wise.

As for tips, well if i could start over there are so many things i would do different. But anyway. bring all your household goods over. Dont rush in to buying ahouse rent for awhile get afeel for the place, I could go on &on .......... Anna

Hi Anna its me again, quick question, where did you stay in brisbane whilst you were waiting for your container? thanks chrissy

Guest ameliaandpeter
hi chrissy,

Anna,

Sorry for being nosey, just wondered whether the things u would do different were regarding location, OH job etc. As are still uncertain when we will be arriving, so haven't chosen exact location etc. Also wondered the near we get to the oz holidays with colleges, sites closing. Any pointers greatly appreciated. Also saw comment on job front does this include plumbers. I know it's your opinion but u know alot more tham me.

Thanks hope not doing your head in.

Amelia x

Archived