Motorbike licence

Guest Igor

In the UK I have a full car licence and also a full bike entitlement (Category A)

Do I automatically get the same entitlement in Oz?

Hiya

We were in a few bike shops in Melbourne and a guy told us for a bike you are best to get an international drivers licence as well as they could restrict the size of bike you can drive for the first year. Don't know how accurate this is but going to check it out anyway

Guest beermeister

Just phone the authority responsible for issuing licences in the State you intend to go.

I phoned up Queensland Transport who told me that it's a direct swap basis. I'd be gob-smacked if you didn't get exactly the same conditions on your Oz license as that in the UK.

Not sure if they still do, but NSW used to have a system of silver and gold license where you get a gold after a certain number of years if you've had no traffic infriengements or something - if you're going to NSW, I'm not sure whether you get a silver or gold straight up.

Guest GSXRDAVE
.............. I hope so because I'm in the same boat, metaphorically speaking.

Me too im going to nsw but as far as i know you just apply for a new license at the post office within 3 months.

Guest cam7445

Just done mine, go to any Qld traffic department with your uk licence, passport with visa stamp in, medicare card (or other ID) and something with your new address on utility bill etc. You can swap for open licence on car and bike no problem, whole process takes about 40 mins. You get an option of how long you want the licence to last, mine was around $70 for 3 years.

Guest tomandmillie

Yes, we are in Vic and Husband had bike licence transferred no problem. However, he had to re-take his HGV truck licence at a fair old expense.

Guest GSXRDAVE
My Hubby too. He is already having palpatations about selling his Ninja I have had to promise him he can have another in OZ!:wacko:

Check out the prices before going they are expensive over there.

Im taking my 2 streetfighters with me cos i could never build em again over there, its about £700 to ship one bike.

Check out the prices before going they are expensive over there.

Im taking my 2 streetfighters with me cos i could never build em again over there, its about £700 to ship one bike.

Is that all? well that may be worth thinking about then. Does it cost much to get all the paperwork done for it in OZ?

Dave make sure you have the prices for the coversions and costs at this end ,as i believe thats where lots of people are stung.They dont sem to change their bikes here as much as you guys do in the uk and everything ,even cars, hold its second hand value so much ,Ebay and trading post are good sites for looking at prices and with the pound climbing it may not work out to bad.Also bear in mind you pay 2% of the value when you register it into your name,there was talk of upping it to 4%(in QLD) not sure if thats been done or not yet.

Cal x

I agree Yorkshire pom ,Gary sold up and bought again when we arrived but its not the 'fun' he thought it would be ,police are a nightmare and australian drivers ,well, dont even go there.Needless to say he as part-x it for a trials so he can play off road ,much less hassle,lol

Cal x

I agree Yorkshire pom ,Gary sold up and bought again when we arrived but its not the 'fun' he thought it would be ,police are a nightmare and australian drivers ,well, dont even go there.Needless to say he as part-x it for a trials so he can play off road ,much less hassle,lol

Cal x

I know all about oz drivers I commute to work(by bike0 60 KLIKS mostly freeway and WA drivers are the worst a mate at work cones from SA and he says they are all crackers and dare I say thro experience the female ones are definately the worst :yes:

Malx

aka Billy 6m

i guess it depends where you live but ive seen more trials riders than superbike riders over here ,although harley riders are very popular.

Cal x

Theres a few trialys in wa but a lot of land is nat park so you are stumped loads of hogs and trctors (harlrys) 4 bikie gangs there words not mine

Malx

aka Billy 6M

Guest tomandmillie

transfered my bike licence to a aussie one (kept uk one) and went out and got a 1000cc bike. no resrictions, only for p platers passing test here.

transfered my bike licence to a aussie one (kept uk one) and went out and got a 1000cc bike. no resrictions, only for p platers passing test here.

watch out for everything that dont move trees lampposts wheely bins they all contain speed cameras:sad:

Malx

aka Billy 6M

Archived