Moving back advice

5Evns

Hi all,

The fam and I have been back in Syd for 2 years and we are considering moving back to the UK. 
DH is English and 3 kids are all dual. I’m an Aussie and was granted an IRL a year before we decided it was time to move back to  syd. We stayed in the UK for close to 4 years but 2 of those were Covid restricted. In hindsight we prob should have stayed and given it more time but I had enough (various reasons) and wanted a better life especially with the kids. 

So now comes another huge decision, and there are numerous reasons for considering a move but a huge pull is not having mortgage stress. We would have little to possibly no mortgage in the UK depending on the type of house we buy. Another factor was being closer to Europe, we’d have the ability to travel during school holidays. At the moment, we can barely afford to do much outside of bills etc. Our thinking is that we would have more of a life there, despite the weather! 

we have thought about moving to other parts of Aus but my family are in sydney and our jobs are great here so commuting is too difficult especially with young kids. Eg we considered the central coast but there’s no childcare vacancies and DH doesn’t want to commute everyday. We thought about Brisbane, Perth etc but the pull is having my support network in sydney. 

We have 2 kids in primary and one in childcare. Primary kids prefer aus but they are young enough to adapt so it’s not a major concern. 

is it a no brainer? Will we regret it? I’ll miss my fam but they will visit. DH’s family can’t afford to visit aus which makes him homesick. 

also another question for any visa experts. What do I do with my visa, is it void now I’ve been out of the UK for over 2 years? Or can I just reapply for the IRL? (Granted 2021) 

sorry for the waffle…just a huge brain dump as we are torn..

8 hours ago, 5Evns said:

Hi all,

The fam and I have been back in Syd for 2 years and we are considering moving back to the UK. 
DH is English and 3 kids are all dual. I’m an Aussie and was granted an IRL a year before we decided it was time to move back to  syd. We stayed in the UK for close to 4 years but 2 of those were Covid restricted. In hindsight we prob should have stayed and given it more time but I had enough (various reasons) and wanted a better life especially with the kids. 

So now comes another huge decision, and there are numerous reasons for considering a move but a huge pull is not having mortgage stress. We would have little to possibly no mortgage in the UK depending on the type of house we buy. Another factor was being closer to Europe, we’d have the ability to travel during school holidays. At the moment, we can barely afford to do much outside of bills etc. Our thinking is that we would have more of a life there, despite the weather! 

we have thought about moving to other parts of Aus but my family are in sydney and our jobs are great here so commuting is too difficult especially with young kids. Eg we considered the central coast but there’s no childcare vacancies and DH doesn’t want to commute everyday. We thought about Brisbane, Perth etc but the pull is having my support network in sydney. 

We have 2 kids in primary and one in childcare. Primary kids prefer aus but they are young enough to adapt so it’s not a major concern. 

is it a no brainer? Will we regret it? I’ll miss my fam but they will visit. DH’s family can’t afford to visit aus which makes him homesick. 

also another question for any visa experts. What do I do with my visa, is it void now I’ve been out of the UK for over 2 years? Or can I just reapply for the IRL? (Granted 2021) 

sorry for the waffle…just a huge brain dump as we are torn..

I wouldn't trade Oz for the world; however, you have a solid ally here in living mortgage free. 

If you have indefinite leave to remain, my understanding is it doesn't expire, but on that I will yield to anyone more in the know.

Whatever you decide: Good luck!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BendigoBoy said:

I wouldn't trade Oz for the world; however, you have a solid ally here in living mortgage free. 

If you have indefinite leave to remain, my understanding is it doesn't expire, but on that I will yield to anyone more in the know.

Whatever you decide: Good luck!

According to wikipedia it can lapse if you leave UK for more than 2 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indefinite_leave_to_remain

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Skani said:

You mention the "pull" of Sydney over Perth or Brisbane is having your support network there.  Do  you have a support network in the UK?

Yes my husband’s family is all there. It was the main reason we moved there 6 years ago. 

On 13/04/2024 at 05:49, 5Evns said:

What about Newcastle (NSW)?   Could DH get work there?   I know Sydneysiders rubbish Newcastle but it's based on a very outdated  concept of the city.  

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

What about Newcastle (NSW)?   Could DH get work there?   I know Sydneysiders rubbish Newcastle but it's based on a very outdated  concept of the city.  

Yes we actually initially were going to move to the Coast as hubby had a job offer in Newcastle. But it fell through shortly after we arrived and so ended back in sydney.

I just found my BRP and it’s actually expired last year 😭 and it wasn’t indefinite leave to remain, only leave to remain 🤯 I got the terminology wrong doh! 

Does this mean I need to apply for the leave to enter visa and start the 5 year route again? 

This sounds like good old ping ponging to me. UK is a congested basketcase and with young children I would seriously consider no more 'pinging'

Presumably you are not talking southern England? obviously many parts of the UK are considerably cheaper to live than Sydney (anywhere outside of London and home counties)

I will never leave Australia to live in the UK, and I was the British one initially! I'm from the home counties which probably explains why I am so anti UK

• Like 1