Contract work for UK company

JMcKie

Hi all,

I've been offered to do some contracting work for my old UK employer. I'm trying to work work out how much tax I would have to pay when submitting my tax return. I'm a full-time employee that sits between the $120k-$180k bracket and I'm already accessing the tax-free threshold in my current role. Does anyone know how much I would have to pay back at tax time if I decided to carry out the work?

Thanks in advance

16 minutes ago, JMcKie said:

Hi all,

I've been offered to do some contracting work for my old UK employer. I'm trying to work work out how much tax I would have to pay when submitting my tax return. I'm a full-time employee that sits between the $120k-$180k bracket and I'm already accessing the tax-free threshold in my current role. Does anyone know how much I would have to pay back at tax time if I decided to carry out the work?

I'm not sure what you're asking. You will add the income you get from this new role to the income you get from your current role, and declare them under "income" on your tax return.  You'll then pay tax on that figure.  Use any tax calculator to work out what that figure will be.

https://moneysmart.gov.au/work-and-tax/income-tax-calculator

• Like 1

I'm trying to work out if it's worth my time to do the work or not depending on the amount of tax I will have to pay at tax time (I know this isn't always easy to know). Thanks for sharing the link much appreciated.

3 hours ago, JMcKie said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

As Marisa has said. You'll pay tax at your marginal rate of 37%, unless the additional income takes you into the 45% bracket. There's also the Medicare Levy (2%), and the Medicare Levy Surcharge (1-1.5%), so you'll be paying at least 40% in deductions on that UK income. However, the new tax rates from 1 July 2024 should soften the blow.

image.png.3c17d01efed0fb5777646e744f677f12.png

12 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

You might use the extra income to make a personal super contribution?

That's what I've been doing the last few years to keep my total income under $120k (the 37% bracket). It's a no-brainer given I'm only a couple of years off my preservation age.

• Like 1