Filling container

Simontucks

Hi all,

We have a 40ft container coming over with our belongings in in April. Our removal company has told us we have room in the container and at a maximum it will cost us another £400 to fill it.so,my question to you guys who have moved is,are there any items you wish you put in your container or you can advise us to put in the container that may be of benefit 

Thanks

I've moved to Australia, and then back again to the UK, both times using a 40ft container.

Both times, I wished I had used the move as an excuse to slim down and take less stuff with me rather than ram it to the max! (I didn't!)

Not much use I know!

Its a difficult one, because we don't know what you have, were planning to take or leave!   What I will say, is that almost everything costs a bit more in OZ (sometimes a little, sometimes a lot!), and setting up a new home is always an expensive activity, so if you already own something, bring it. Even if its crappy old stuff, it will get you by for a while whilst you find your feet.  Beware of bringing stuff like gardening equipment, as it will be inspected with a fine tooth comb, can still bring it, but make sure it is really clean.

Note - timing your shipping if a fine art. Took about 9 weeks for our container to transit the globe and actually get to our new house in Melbourne (including 10 days in customs) Think how you will survive in that gap - you can choose to have your stuff go ahead of you so it arrives as you do,  or fly out as your stuff leaves and spend the first 9 weeks of your new life waiting for your gear. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sausage said:

I've moved to Australia, and then back again to the UK, both times using a 40ft container.

Both times, I wished I had used the move as an excuse to slim down and take less stuff with me rather than ram it to the max! (I didn't!)

Not much use I know!

Its a difficult one, because we don't know what you have, were planning to take or leave!   What I will say, is that almost everything costs a bit more in OZ (sometimes a little, sometimes a lot!), and setting up a new home is always an expensive activity, so if you already own something, bring it. Even if its crappy old stuff, it will get you by for a while whilst you find your feet.  Beware of bringing stuff like gardening equipment, as it will be inspected with a fine tooth comb, can still bring it, but make sure it is really clean.

Note - timing your shipping if a fine art. Took about 9 weeks for our container to transit the globe and actually get to our new house in Melbourne (including 10 days in customs) Think how you will survive in that gap - you can choose to have your stuff go ahead of you so it arrives as you do,  or fly out as your stuff leaves and spend the first 9 weeks of your new life waiting for your gear. 

We are lucky that we don't need or stuff as we re staying at my brother's,so however long it takes is fine.

We are leaving one of the daughters bedroom furniture behind as it's not great so that's one thing we are thinking of buying here and shipping🤔,

The only thing besides that are our washer/dryer/fridge which are very old and we toyed with the idea of buying new here and shipping also but have decided to buy once there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simontucks said:

We are leaving one of the daughters bedroom furniture behind as it's not great so that's one thing we are thinking of buying here and shipping🤔,

I would never buy furniture to ship, because you have no idea what kind of house you'll end up with.   The furniture might not fit the rooms.  

I also wouldn't buy a fridge to ship, because kitchens usually have an alcove where the fridge has to sit, and they're not all the same size.  If your fridge won't fit in the alcove, you'll have to either refit the kitchen or sell your fridge and buy another one!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I would never buy furniture to ship, because you have no idea what kind of house you'll end up with.   The furniture might not fit the rooms.  

I also wouldn't buy a fridge to ship, because kitchens usually have an alcove where the fridge has to sit, and they're not all the same size.  If your fridge won't fit in the alcove, you'll have to either refit the kitchen or sell your fridge and buy another one!

That's my reckoning on the white goods👍

7 hours ago, Sausage said:

Beware of bringing stuff like gardening equipment, as it will be inspected with a fine tooth comb, can still bring it, but make sure it is really clean.

As long you can clean the gardening tools thoroughly then bring them because they're expensive to replace here. I'd draw the line at the lawnmower or anything that's difficult to clean.

2 hours ago, Simontucks said:

That's my reckoning on the white goods👍

All the other white goods are standard sizes so bring them.  If you have a fridge already might as well bring it even if for drinks fridge in the garage or laundry if it doesn't fit in the kitchen.  That 400 quid will only buy you one decent appliance to be honest.

• Like 1

On the other hand can you slim down to a 20ft container and save money. We managed with a very well packed 20ft container by doing a good clear out and collapsing some furniture. Worth considering as we all have too much stuff!

• Like 2