South/west suburbs?

Simontucks

Hi all,

As some know we are heading over in April to Brisbane from the UK.we have family in Brookfield(brother has been there 30yrs). We are looking to settle in the bellbowrie/moggill area but on looking at house prices,just over the river in Goodna you get lots more house for your money. I know it could be because of numerous reasons,crime,distance from city and the like but I was wondering if anyone knows the area and could give me some pointers?

• Like 2

Goodna has some nice areas but does have lots of areas/ streets that are prone to flooding so be very careful. It does have some rougher suburbs but prices and property photos should alert you to this . Spring Mountain and Brookwater would be 2 of the areas i would look at if moving out that way. Close to everything,shops, train to city, highways, they also have newer property and are not flood prone.

Cal x

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Simontucks said:

Hi Cal,

Thanks so much for the information 👍.as I say ,we noticed the price difference to say, bellbowrie/Kenmore,these would be our preferred choice of area but with such a price difference it has to be worth a look 

I'd echo CalNGary, beware of the flood risk. Bits of Bellbowrie & Kenmore do flood in really bad years (check the Brisbane Council flood maps) but Goodna is much more prone to it and some areas have been badly flooded several times in recent years

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nemesis said:

I'd echo CalNGary, beware of the flood risk. Bits of Bellbowrie & Kenmore do flood in really bad years (check the Brisbane Council flood maps) but Goodna is much more prone to it and some areas have been badly flooded several times in recent years

Thanks for that, seems most of the areas by the river and any creeks are prone to flooding!....another thing to consider 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Simontucks said:

Thanks for that, seems most of the areas by the river and any creeks are prone to flooding!....another thing to consider 

Brisbane City Council do have very good flood maps, and they are updated after every major event. Be sure to check out their website 🙂 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Simontucks said:

Hi all,

As some know we are heading over in April to Brisbane from the UK.we have family in Brookfield(brother has been there 30yrs). We are looking to settle in the bellbowrie/moggill area but on looking at house prices,just over the river in Goodna you get lots more house for your money. I know it could be because of numerous reasons,crime,distance from city and the like but I was wondering if anyone knows the area and could give me some pointers?

Goodna had a bit of a reputation when I lived in Brisbane but to be fair nowhere in Brissie is that rough by UK standards, or even compared with some suburbs in Sydney and Melbourne. Have you had a look at the Springfield / Springfield Central area? It has better amenities than Goodna, is on a direct trainline to the city, and there's little to no flood risk. You should still be able to find a decent property down there for around $700k, which I recall was within your budget.

4 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Goodna had a bit of a reputation when I lived in Brisbane but to be fair nowhere in Brissie is that rough by UK standards, or even compared with some suburbs in Sydney and Melbourne. Have you had a look at the Springfield / Springfield Central area? It has better amenities than Goodna, is on a direct trainline to the city, and there's little to no flood risk. You should still be able to find a decent property down there for around $700k, which I recall was within your budget.

Hey !

My brother has said that we want to avoid Goodna if possible,I just couldn't get over the difference in price 🤣.

Springfield is on the radar along with Kenmore,moggill, bellbowrie,chapel hill,mitchelton,ferny hill/grove...the list goes on 🤣🤣👍

• Like 1

Wonderful night watching QLD Ballet showcasing a selection of ballets by Li Cunxin, who is retiring as the Artistic Director. To make the night extra special I found myself standing right next to Li Cunxin and his wife while waiting at the traffic lights, and had a quick chat and they kindly agreed to a photo. 
Anyone moving to Brisbane and concerned it is a backwater culturally, as mentioned recently, the quality and variety of the shows that I have seen this year have been excellent .

IMG_9953.jpeg

IMG_2274.jpeg

IMG_9950.jpeg

IMG_9938.jpeg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, ramot said:

Wonderful night watching QLD Ballet showcasing a selection of ballets by Li Cunxin, who is retiring as the Artistic Director. To make the night extra special I found myself standing right next to Li Cunxin and his wife while waiting at the traffic lights, and had a quick chat and they kindly agreed to a photo. 
Anyone moving to Brisbane and concerned it is a backwater culturally, as mentioned recently, the quality and variety of the shows that I have seen this year have been excellent .

Lovely photos. I recall you've had Sir Paul and Robbie Williams down there fairly recently too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

Lovely photos. I recall you've had Sir Paul and Robbie Williams down there fairly recently too.

We lived in the Cotswolds for 15 years and would often go to shows in birmingham.having moved back to Wales 3 years ago it's one thing I miss and am really looking forward too again once living near a city 👍

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 11/12/2023 at 18:12, Simontucks said:

Hey !

My brother has said that we want to avoid Goodna if possible,I just couldn't get over the difference in price 🤣.

Springfield is on the radar along with Kenmore,moggill, bellbowrie,chapel hill,mitchelton,ferny hill/grove...the list goes on 🤣🤣👍

Mitchelton, Ferny Hills/Grove are good areas. We live a bit further north out of Brisbane in the new City of Moreton Bay (our suburb is Eatons Hill).  We are only 20km from the CBD though and you get more house/land for your money up here. However, we bought our 5 bedroom on 888m2 in 2009 for $565k and it's now valued at over $1.1m. Hopefully you've experienced similar appreciation on your property in the UK so you have a good deposit to put down on a house here.