16 year old & 13 Year old moving to MELBOURNE in August 2024

Lucy G

We are a family of 4, moving to Melbourne, from the UK for my husbands work. We plan to arrive in August 2024, my son will have just finished his GCSE's, aged 16 (born March 2008), and my daughter will be 13 (born September 2011) and will have just completed her 1st year of high school, here in the UK. In January 2025 we are preparing for our 16 year old son to enter year 11 and our 13 year old daughter to enter year 7 in an undecided state School in Oz. I'm not particularly worried about my daughter as she will have a good length of time at high school but I have concerns about my son as he will only have 2 years at school. I don't want to set him up for failure, he is extremely bright and his predicted GCSE' s are great but I'm nervous about him being faced with exams in year 12. I have some questions; 

1. are the exams in year 12 based on knowledge gained throughout high school in Australia or are they based on just the studies in year 11 & 12?

2. Are there similarities with the Australian and English curriculum? focused on core subjects of Maths, English & Science

3. Would it be better for them to join in the October term so that they have a little time before they start their school year in 2025?

4. would the 16 year old boy be better with TAFE? I love the thought of both kids attending the same school and really want him to make some friends in 11&12 but i know there are alternative options. 

In continuation of my original post I can see that I have made a big mistake and that my daughter would be going into year 8 in Jan 2025 and my son would be due to go into year 12. 

Disappointed as I was hoping my son could do 11 & 12 in Oz. 

• Like 1

As I always say when someone is considering moving with a kid in the final year/s of schooling - consider leaving the child to finish their A levels  in UK - they could board with family or friends and keep all their options open for Uni in UK or Australia. If, as you say, he's extremely bright then you would disadvantage him by moving him over. He would need to do the full 2 years of the VCE so he couldn't really land in year 12 and expect to do well - it's a 2 year course. He could go to TAFE but the cohort doing VCE in TAFE often isn't the cohort you'd want your child to be with (think repeaters or out of school for a while) and the wider experience you'd get from a school environment would be missing.

His age makes him marginal for year 11 in 2024 actually. Cut off for Vic is 30 April so he would be one of the youngest of a year 11 cohort in 2024 and he could conceivably go into yr 10 for the remainder of 2024 then start yr 11 in 2025 when he would be amongst the oldest in the year. 

VCE has more subjects than A levels, usually Maths English and 3 or 4 more subjects. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lucy G said:

In continuation of my original post I can see that I have made a big mistake and that my daughter would be going into year 8 in Jan 2025 and my son would be due to go into year 12. 

Disappointed as I was hoping my son could do 11 & 12 in Oz. 

What does he want to do when he leaves school? Doing yr 11 and 12 or UK A levels isnt the be all and end all for every child.

Lots of kids leave at the end of Year 10 and go to TAFE or on apprentiships etc, especially if your son is looking at a trade . 

Cal x

• Like 2

Thank you so much for the response, my calculations show that in Jan 2025 he would actually be in year 12 cohort, is that incorrect?

I would very much like for him to start year 11 in 2025, is there a way I can make that happen if he is over the cut off for year 11.

7 minutes ago, Lucy G said:

Thank you so much for the response, my calculations show that in Jan 2025 he would actually be in year 12 cohort, is that incorrect?

I would very much like for him to start year 11 in 2025, is there a way I can make that happen if he is over the cut off for year 11.

In QLD , he would start Yr 12 in 2025 unless you held him back a year (which isnt unheard of here) to start in YR 11.. You would need to speak with the school you are looking to enrol at.

Cal x

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Lucy G said:

1. are the exams in year 12 based on knowledge gained throughout high school in Australia or are they based on just the studies in year 11 & 12?

2. Are there similarities with the Australian and English curriculum? focused on core subjects of Maths, English & Science

3. Would it be better for them to join in the October term so that they have a little time before they start their school year in 2025?

4. would the 16 year old boy be better with TAFE? I love the thought of both kids attending the same school and really want him to make some friends in 11&12 but i know there are alternative options. 

1. Exams are based on Y11 & Y12 studies, but not all subjects have exams and even in academic subjects that count towards an ATAR (required for university admission) there is a coursework component. https://www.uac.edu.au/future-applicants/atar

2. Maths and English are compulsory in Y11 & Y12 and students choose 4 other subjects, which (in my opinion) are not as in depth as A-levels. I teach in QLD but I don't think the system in VIC is radically different, and all state schools are required to follow the Australian Curriculum. https://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/

3. Definitely better for them to start in October or they'll have been out of school for 6 months by the time they start in January. Your daughter legally needs to be in school, and if your son is going to stay in school until the end of Y12 then that final term in Y11 will be really important to help him adjust. I wouldn't hold him back a year if he's as bright as you say he is.

4. Only if he is interested in pursuing a trade (and if he is I would certainly encourage that based on what my plumber just charged me!), but if he wants to follow an academic pathway into higher education then he'll need to complete Y12. I agree, it would be great for them both to attend the same school, make friends, and know your son is looking out for your daughter in that first year, but he needs to do whatever's best for his future of course.

Edited by InnerVoice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for this valuable Info, this forum is so helpful. 

Do you think holding him back a year would do any harm? He is bright but I feel that getting the full 2 years,  11 & 12  would be a great start for him and worry about him having too much pressure. Maybe he could start in year 10 in the October so that he can chose his options. His birthday is March so he would he be the youngest in his cohort? If the cut off date is April. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lucy G said:

Thank you so much for this valuable Info, this forum is so helpful. 

Do you think holding him back a year would do any harm? He is bright but I feel that getting the full 2 years,  11 & 12  would be a great start for him and worry about him having too much pressure. Maybe he could start in year 10 in the October so that he can chose his options. His birthday is March so he would he be the youngest in his cohort? If the cut off date is April. 

You're welcome - and I agree, it's a great forum.

That's a very subjective question and I think it depends as much on your son's emotional development as it does his intellectual ability. If you would describe him as mature for his age, with a strong sense of responsibility, relates well to others and has generally got his act together, then you you'll be doing him a disservice by holding him back a year. Most kids wouldn't want to spend an extra year in school if they didn't need to. If I was you I'd leave the decision until after he's got his GCSE results, then at least you should know whether academically he will cope with going straight into Y12. 

The cut-off date for each year group varies between states and it's the 30 April in VIC, so yes, your son will be one of the younger ones if he starts Y12 in 2024 (although probably not the youngest).

'In the Australian Capital Territory and Victoria the cut-off date is 30 April, in South Australia it is 1 May, in Queensland and the Northern Territory it is 30 June.'

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/aug/29/primary-school-age-australia-should-i-hold-my-child-back-benefits

Edited by InnerVoice
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Lucy G said:

Technically yes your calculations are correct but he would be the youngest and kids of his age are actually more likely to be starting year 11.  Kids can be older in a year, they generally cant be younger than the year so cut off 30 April in Victoria means that a lot of February, March and April babies will have been kept back probably in kindergarten and will be on the older side for the cohort. Given that he will be going into a program which is assessed on 2 years of work, he would be better to join year 10 when you arrive and then go into year 11 in 2024.  If he goes into year 10 when you arrive he will be one of the older kids in the cohort

Dont think or talk of it as "being held back" he will be joining the cohort of his age peers.  He will probably find it quite easy content-wise which is no bad thing given that you are moving him to the other side of the world and there will be all sorts of social and emotional challenges blending into a different culture.  A bit of maturity never did anyone any harm.  Even if he wants to follow a trade, getting his year 12 is still a good option if he is bright because that keeps his options open.

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Quoll said:

technically yes but he would be the youngest and kids of his age are actually more likely to be starting year 11.  Kids can be older in a year, they generally cant be younger than the year so cut off 30 April in Victoria means that a lot of February, March and April babies will have been kept back probably in kindergarten and will be on the older side for the cohort

That is so helpful, thank you so much:)

You havent said whether you are coming on a permanent or temporary visa if it is with your husband's work.  If it's permanent then unless you hate the place you should be OK.  If it is a temporary visa then you might seriously want to consider what happens when you go home.  Year 12 results dont travel back to UK as well as A levels do to Australia and if a kid wants to go to a UK uni they often have to do a foundation  year (because Australian education is one year less than UK education to that point) and if your son is aiming for Uni, and he wants to go to a UK uni, then you will be up for international student fees even if he is a British citizen (residence in the UK for 3 years immediately prior to starting Uni is required).  Also if you are on a temporary visa then things like apprenticeships will not be available to him in Aus and if he wanted to go to an Aus university he would be paying international fees. It's a bit of a minefield

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quoll said:

You havent said whether you are coming on a permanent or temporary visa if it is with your husband's work.  If it's permanent then unless you hate the place you should be OK.  If it is a temporary visa then you might seriously want to consider what happens when you go home.  Year 12 results dont travel back to UK as well as A levels do to Australia and if a kid wants to go to a UK uni they often have to do a foundation  year (because Australian education is one year less than UK education to that point) and if your son is aiming for Uni, and he wants to go to a UK uni, then you will be up for international student fees even if he is a British citizen (residence in the UK for 3 years immediately prior to starting Uni is required).  Also if you are on a temporary visa then things like apprenticeships will not be available to him in Aus and if he wanted to go to an Aus university he would be paying international fees. It's a bit of a minefield

We will be on a residency visa, my hubby will be working on the transmission lines across the country and it is highly likely his visa will be renewed after the 2 year initial visa, he has been before many years ago and fell in love with Oz, with the dream dream of one day returning:) we really don't know what we will be faced with, the kids might hate it and want to return, we just don't know. 

27 minutes ago, Quoll said:

technically yes but he would be the youngest and kids of his age are actually more likely to be starting year 11.  Kids can be older in a year, they generally cant be younger than the year so cut off 30 April in Victoria means that a lot of February, March and April babies will have been kept back probably in kindergarten and will be on the older side for the cohort

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lucy G said:

We will be on a residency visa, my hubby will be working on the transmission lines across the country and it is highly likely his visa will be renewed after the 2 year initial visa, he has been before many years ago and fell in love with Oz, with the dream dream of one day returning:) we really don't know what we will be faced with, the kids might hate it and want to return, we just don't know. 

That's helpful info. That's a temporary visa, then. From that perspective, please be aware that there won't be any support for university expenses from the normal public funds route (commonwealth supported places etc) unless you have permanent residency; more options open up with citizenship.

From the perspective of a potential extension, if your kids were out here 3 years before deciding they wanted to go to uni back in the UK, they would also be subject to international fees there.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, BendigoBoy said:

That's helpful info. That's a temporary visa, then. From that perspective, please be aware that there won't be any support for university expenses from the normal public funds route (commonwealth supported places etc) unless you have permanent residency; more options open up with citizenship.

From the perspective of a potential extension, if your kids were out here 3 years before deciding they wanted to go to uni back in the UK, they would also be subject to international fees there.

Thanks a lot, its the 482 visa:)

2 minutes ago, Lucy G said:

All good. All good.

It makes things "potentially" a wee bit more difficult to navigate. Regardless of what you and yours choose to do, all we want to do is try and give you as much rounded info as we can.

Selfishly, I hope you love it here, grab PR and settle into a great life in VIC. 😎

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Lucy G said:

In that case I would seriously consider leaving your 16 yr old to board with family or friends and finishing his A levels in UK. What he does after that would depend on your visa status and what he wants out of life. He could fly over and see you in the holidays so he would get a feel for what life is like here. 

Don't go and live near Ballarat then, the farming community around  there hates the idea of the transmission lines - big protests earlier this year lol.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Quoll said:

In that case I would seriously consider leaving your 16 yr old to board with family or friends and finishing his A levels in UK. What he does after that would depend on your visa status and what he wants out of life. He could fly over and see you in the holidays so he would get a feel for what life is like here. 

Don't go and live near Ballarat then, the farming community around  there hates the idea of the transmission lines - big protests earlier this year lol.

I had all but forgotten about that!

image.png.385280ced4124a27b424da7459bcf36f.png

4 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Apart from the temporary vis being renewed do have a strategy to stay in Australia?  I ask because not everyone qualifies for a PR visa and after living here for 4 years and making a home you might be faced with no alternative but to return home. 

Its only 2 years before they can apply for a 186 now from what i have read (if i read correctly) and last month they also opened up the application to those on the STSOL too as its used to be only medium and long term stream that were elgibile so many more people will now be elgible in proffesions that have shortages.

Cal x

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

Its only 2 years before they can apply for a 186 now from what i have read (if i read correctly) and last month they also opened up the application to those on the STSOL too as its used to be only medium and long term stream that were elgibile so many more people will now be elgible in proffesions that have shortages.

Cal x

Yeah, but the under 45 rule will still apply, as I understand it.

3 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Ah didnt realise the OP was 45 (or almost 45).

Cal x

Ah, sorry, I've no idea either!  Just calling it out, as it's one that could slip under folks' radar if they've been on a couple of 482s, for example, then get an offer of a 186.  A lot of employers don't always seem to know about the age cutoffs.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, calNgary said:

Cal x

Only if the employer sponsors them though. Not all are willing to do it.