Is bridging visa automatic or need to apply for?

mandymark

Hi, my son's first year WHV is due to expire within a week and he applied for a RRV visa probably around 3 weeks ago but still waiting for the decision on this. (even though he's eligible for 2nd year WHV anyway). Will he be automatically granted a bridging visa while he waits for the decision of his RRV application or does he need to apply for a bridging visa?  Many thanks in advance.

No he's applied for a RRV rather than 2nd year WHV, that's what he's waiting for the decision on. Reading up on bridging visas it seems that immigration automatically consider applicants for eligibility of a bridging visa whilst waiting for the outcome of a substantive visa application but I want to be certain, otherwise there does seem to be an option for him to apply for it.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/bridging-visa-a-010#Eligibility

11 hours ago, mandymark said:

Hi, my son's first year WHV is due to expire within a week and he applied for a RRV visa probably around 3 weeks ago but still waiting for the decision on this. 

Just noticing that the WHV is due to expire within a week.  It's really, really vital that he gets professional advice about this, because he's at risk of being unlawful.  Don't rely on advice on these forums, we're only amateurs.  Being unlawful will have dire consequences, including being banned from entering Australia for 3 years, and it can ruin his chances of getting any other visa ever again.

Don't think he can ring the Department of Immigration for advice, either.  They're notorious for giving the wrong advice, and they have a disclaimer saying they're not responsible for any consequences when they do.   A paid consultation with a good migration agent will ensure he's on the right track, it can be over the phone. Someone like @paulhand.  I know it costs money but this is your son's future you're talking about.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mandymark said:

He is a former PR visa holder.

Can anyone advise whether you need to apply for a bridging visa or is it automatic if decision on visa application has not been reached yet? TIA

For an RRV application, you need to make a separate BV application. 

• Like 2