Medical Checks

bearnova64

I will soon be applying for a partner visa and on the medical checks to I give permission for the Aus authorities to get my medical records from my DR?

What are they looking for medically that would concern them?

Is it medical conditions that would potentially cost their state medical system?

I have the lowest level of prostate cancer ( gleeson score 6, which some experts say is not cancer anyway)which my urologist monitors and says will probably never develop into needing any treatment. I also had a suicide attempt 10 years ago but fine since then.

The above issues not be a concern to the authorities I assume?

I don’t remember giving access to my medical records when I submitted my partner visa earlier this year. 

You are required to attend a medical appointment which usually includes a general medical examination, a chest x-ray and blood tests. You may be asked to complete additional medical examinations depending on your medical history.

7 hours ago, bearnova64 said:

What are they looking for medically that would concern them?

Is it medical conditions that would potentially cost their state medical system?

Basically yes, and unless you're advised otherwise by an RMA I wouldn't mention anything about the suicide attempt - it's not a medical condition anyway.

They give you a list of medical questions that you need to answer before they generate the HAP ID for your medical.

One of these questions is Do you have or have you had cancer in the last 5 years? You will need to answer Yes to this question and then I would expect they would want a report from your consultant to enable them to make a decision.

On 30/10/2023 at 21:30, InnerVoice said:

Basically yes, and unless you're advised otherwise by an RMA I wouldn't mention anything about the suicide attempt - it's not a medical condition anyway.

Another question is:

” Do you suffer, or have you ever suffered, from mental health problems?”

1 hour ago, bluequay said:

They give you a list of medical questions that you need to answer before they generate the HAP ID for your medical.

One of these questions is Do you have or have you had cancer in the last 5 years? You will need to answer Yes to this question and then I would expect they would want a report from your consultant to enable them to make a decision.

I have the lowest level of prostate cancer ( gleeson score 6, which some experts say is not cancer anyway)which my urologist monitors and says will probably never develop into needing any treatment. Most people with score 6 never have any treatment as the cells remain dormant and just monitoring it every year is widely especially by Australian medics seen as the best action rather than have surgery which is invasive and can have bad side effects.

3 minutes ago, paulhand said:

Which is a “yes” to the cancer question then. They will decide whether it is of concern to them. 

Yes I agree but my point is that score 6 by many medics is not even considered cancer and that in most cases the cells never change and folk die of something else and I have 2 friends who have moved to Australia having declared score 6 so it seems not to be an issue in terms of being a concern it is going to drain their healthcare system. In the unlikely situation the cells develop patients can have 1 simple operation to remove the prostate and become cancer free. Medics only do this surgery if necessary as it is going into a delicate area and can have side effects such as bladder control issues post surgery.

3 hours ago, bearnova64 said:

Yes I agree but my point is that score 6 by many medics is not even considered cancer and that in most cases the cells never change and folk die of something else and I have 2 friends who have moved to Australia having declared score 6 so it seems not to be an issue in terms of being a concern it is going to drain their healthcare system. In the unlikely situation the cells develop patients can have 1 simple operation to remove the prostate and become cancer free. Medics only do this surgery if necessary as it is going into a delicate area and can have side effects such as bladder control issues post surgery.

Going by what you have written here then, I don't really see why you are concerned about mentioning it?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/10/2023 at 05:30, InnerVoice said:

Unless you they were subsequently diagnosed with and treated for depression.