Using dual passports to travel to Vietnam

rammygirl

We are dual UK/Aus citizens with both passports living in SA. We are off to Vietnam next year. I note that although Australian citizens require a visa US$50 each  (multi entry as we are nipping to Bangkok whilst there) that UK citizens do not.

So as a tight arse married to a Yorkshireman……can we wrangle the passports in such a way to avoid visa and obey Aus requirements.

Im thinking that check ins and passport control are separate so we check in with airline on UK passport but exit on Aus one this end and arrive in Vietnam on UK one. I’m assuming we will have to leave on UK one to get exit recorded but we will need to show Aus passport to return to Aus.

Is this possible or should we just suck it up and avoid the hassle!

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

We are dual UK/Aus citizens with both passports living in SA. We are off to Vietnam next year. I note that although Australian citizens require a visa US$50 each  (multi entry as we are nipping to Bangkok whilst there) that UK citizens do not.

So as a tight arse married to a Yorkshireman……can we wrangle the passports in such a way to avoid visa and obey Aus requirements.

Im thinking that check ins and passport control are separate so we check in with airline on UK passport but exit on Aus one this end and arrive in Vietnam on UK one. I’m assuming we will have to leave on UK one to get exit recorded but we will need to show Aus passport to return to Aus.

Is this possible or should we just suck it up and avoid the hassle!

Your plan sounds fine by me - it's what I would do. Although even if you checked in with your Australian passport and showed your UK one at the same time, that should be fine too as it proves you don't require a visa prior to arrival in Vietnam. The only hitch I can think of is if immigration has access to the airline's manifest so they have a record of people passing through the airport, it might throw up a wobbler when you pass through immigration. I would check directly with the airline to be on the safe side, before you go throwing your hard-earned brass at visas you don't need.

Edited by InnerVoice

3 hours ago, rammygirl said:

But last time we went to UK we just used our Australian passports, same for a side trip to Spain.  No need to take UK ones at all.

At present, if you are only going for a holiday, yes you can enter the UK as tourists, on Aus passports. 

Whether this will still be possible when the UK introduces its ETA remains to be seen. 

And people who let their UK passport lapse should take not that its a lot harder to get a new one a few years after expiry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

At present, if you are only going for a holiday, yes you can enter the UK as tourists, on Aus passports. 

Whether this will still be possible when the UK introduces its ETA remains to be seen. 

And people who let their UK passport lapse should take not that its a lot harder to get a new one a few years after expiry. 

Indeed this. I have told my son to renew his UK passport as it expired last year. 

• Like 1