Assistance required please 804 Visa

CudworthKeith

5 hours ago, CudworthKeith said:

Could please advise me of what is expected for the 804 visa application question 65, I am not sure what to put, we have been visiting our family since 2014 so have spent a cumulative total of above 12 months here. Or am I misinterpreting the question.

Thanks in advance

Then the answer is yes…

9 minutes ago, CudworthKeith said:

The form does not ask for a Yes /No answer. The question is what information is required on the form, is it the month and year of each visit to Australia within the last 10 years required

Ok you got me on the semantics … sorry, the usual question is “have you lived anywhere for longer than 12 months”.

Here, the answer is Australia and they want want exact dates so they can calculate how many days you have spent in the country. This is about which police checks they need. You can attach a separate page if there are a lot of trips. 

10 hours ago, paulhand said:

Ok you got me on the semantics … sorry, the usual question is “have you lived anywhere for longer than 12 months”.

Here, the answer is Australia and they want want exact dates so they can calculate how many days you have spent in the country. This is about which police checks they need. You can attach a separate page if there are a lot of trips. 

Thank you very much

18 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

So even though the OP has only visited as a tourist for 4-6 weeks each year over the last 9 years, that still counts as 'living in Australia"?

It counts as having spent more than 12 months in the country (assuming the maths gets to that). This is the trigger for asking for a police check. The wording does vary between application forms, but the concept is the same. 

42 minutes ago, paulhand said:

It counts as having spent more than 12 months in the country (assuming the maths gets to that). This is the trigger for asking for a police check. The wording does vary between application forms, but the concept is the same. 

Goodness, that must be a real hassle for the police having to track back 9 years.

On 31/08/2023 at 08:41, Marisawright said:

Goodness, that must be a real hassle for the police having to track back 9 years.

No, it would just be one database search; all convictions are held on one database regardless of what year they occur. The only hassle comes when the system throws up close matches to the name and date of birth and they have to be eliminated using other details like an address at the time. I used to do these checks in the UK, we sometimes got through over 100 a day, most of them only taking seconds.

Edited by Nemesis