chances at age 43

Sang

Hi,

so, I have been working in youth mental health field for nearly three years and would love to relocate to Australia. I understand NT and south Australia offer state nominations. Just don’t know if I have left it too late! Have a young family and would love to follow dream, but what are my chances…

1 hour ago, Sang said:

Hi,

so, I have been working in youth mental health field for nearly three years and would love to relocate to Australia. I understand NT and south Australia offer state nominations. Just don’t know if I have left it too late! Have a young family and would love to follow dream, but what are my chances…

Hi. None of us can answer this question very accurately. Your best bet is to consult a registered migration agent. I am 43 and am awaiting grant of my 189 for secondary teaching on minimum points (65). It happened really quickly but I think that’s quite unusual. Have you checked to see if your job is on the skill shortage list? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sang said:

Before Covid, I'd have said your chances were poor because your points score must be pretty low at 43.  However as @Cheery Thistle notes, things have changed, so you have a golden opportunity to give it a shot, if you get started right now.  You are getting older all the time and the whole process of getting your visa will take a year or more, so you haven't a moment to lose. Book a thorough, paid consultation with a good migration agent (the free consultations are too high-level to give you any idea).  Get a quote from Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I am 44 in a few days. So I am concerned I have left it too late. Also hear that it takes upto a year to be invited to apply (state nomination). 

I am a youth worker (so on the list). I have enough points (including state nomination), but without this not enough. Did you have enough points before state nomination? Thanks 

Hi Sang yes I was on minimum acceptable points (65) before state nomination which gave me an additional 5 points (70). I ended up being invited for the 189 on 65. I think I was very lucky and timing was everything. If I was you I would get moving and get your EOI in. You can still be invited right up to the day before your 45th birthday and it has been known for that to happen. You’ve got to be in it to win it and it doesn’t cost an earth-shattering amount of $ to do your skills assessment and put in the EOI. The big payment is when you lodge. You can’t afford to sit on the fence any longer though, so if you’re doing it get moving! Good luck. 

Yes, things seem to be quite dynamic when you consider how things have changed through covid times.

I had a EOI in for a 189 visa from late 2018 with 75 points as an engineer.  Didn't hear a sniff for a long time,  people were only getting invites with 95 or 100 points plus.  only contact being an email when I turned 40, reducing my points to 70.   Then out of the blue about a year ago I received an invitation to apply for 189 at age 42.

For us, it was sad that this came at absolutely the wrong time as we have moved house a couple of months before and honestly we had given up hope that any invite was coming.  Therefore we didn't take advantage of the invitation.

However, it shows that invitations are possible.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 12/09/2023 at 20:54, excitedbutterrified said:

Yes, things seem to be quite dynamic when you consider how things have changed through covid times.

I had a EOI in for a 189 visa from late 2018 with 75 points as an engineer.  Didn't hear a sniff for a long time,  people were only getting invites with 95 or 100 points plus.  only contact being an email when I turned 40, reducing my points to 70.   Then out of the blue about a year ago I received an invitation to apply for 189 at age 42.

For us, it was sad that this came at absolutely the wrong time as we have moved house a couple of months before and honestly we had given up hope that any invite was coming.  Therefore we didn't take advantage of the invitation.

However, it shows that invitations are possible.  

Think carefully if it isn't too late. You may look back on your life down the track wishing you went for it.

• Like 1