Teachers moving to Australia - Advice

sophie3527

Hi everyone

I was wondering whether it would be possible to please have some advice on our situation. 

My husband and I are both secondary school teachers (aged 30-33) currently living in London, I have 8 years experience and have been a pastoral lead for 5 years; my husband is an Assistant Headteacher with nearly 10 years experience.

We are looking to make the move to Australia and are currently in the research stage - particularly interested in Perth as we have family there. We just had some questions regarding getting registered as a teacher and working in Aus:

-I qualified with a PGCE and would be the main applicant, with my husband being the secondary applicant. We are looking at 189 or 190 visa and currently score 90 points. Would you suggest going for 190 and put WA as nominated state as we know we would definitely like to settle in Perth or does it not make much difference regarding the likelihood of being invited to apply?

-Despite my husband having more work experience than me, he does not have a PGCE as he gained QTS through salaried teacher training. We have done some research and seen that this is not adequate to register as a teacher in Aus. We have found a PGCE top up course in the U.K. which is 1 year part time that converts QTS into PGCE award. Are there any teachers that have made the move who had a similar situation and would this be regarded as suitable qualification? He had over the 45 hours of supervised teaching during his training year, could we combine this with the PGCE top up or would he need to do a qualification in Australia? As mentioned he is an assistant headteacher and also trained PGCE students in the past.

Thank you so much in advance for all of your help!

6 minutes ago, sophie3527 said:

We have found a PGCE top up course in the U.K. which is 1 year part time that converts QTS into PGCE award.

It's worth explaining that you have two hurdles to cross.   The first question is whether Immigration would find it acceptable for the visa requirements.   The second question is whether the Teacher Registration Board in WA (or any other state) would accept it as a teaching qualification.  Believe it or not, they are totally separate.  

You should try writing to the TRB and ask whether or not it would be acceptable.  Getting a straight answer from Immigration will be far more difficult.  If you call them, you'll get a call centre whose answers you should never rely on. 

In general, the 189 is the most difficult to get because everyone wants it.  There's less competition for the 190 but it depends whether WA is looking for teachers in your subject. 

I'd say your best plan, at this point, is to book a one-off consultation with one of the bigger migration agents, who will have recent experience of things like the points required for teachers, the recent success rate, whether it's better to go for the 189 or the 190 right now, etc.

• Like 2

Hi Sophie 

I have recently been invited to apply for a 189 based on my secondary teaching qualifications with 65 points. This gives you the option of living and working anywhere in Aus, no state sponsorship. 
 It sounds like you yourself would probably have what is needed to go as the main applicant. Usually it’s a 3 year degree plus a one year PGCE with a certain number of hours supervised teaching. 
The first step in the process is gaining a successful skills assessment from AITSL. 
https://www.aitsl.edu.au/migrate-to-australia/apply-for-a-skills-assessment

As for your husband, there are many stories online of different outcomes based on whether his training would or would not be acceptable. 

It is definitely worth speaking to an agent for some advice and will probably be the best couple of hundred £ you ever spend. 

Also, WA is currently offering sponsorship to secondary teachers, not sure if that’s of interest to you or not. If so, it might be worth sending an email. 
https://www.education.wa.edu.au/international-qualified-teachers

All the best. 

Edited by Cheery Thistle
  • Like 2

On 11/06/2023 at 13:01, Marisawright said:

It's worth explaining that you have two hurdles to cross.   The first question is whether Immigration would find it acceptable for the visa requirements.   The second question is whether the Teacher Registration Board in WA (or any other state) would accept it as a teaching qualification.  Believe it or not, they are totally separate.  

You should try writing to the TRB and ask whether or not it would be acceptable.  Getting a straight answer from Immigration will be far more difficult.  If you call them, you'll get a call centre whose answers you should never rely on. 

In general, the 189 is the most difficult to get because everyone wants it.  There's less competition for the 190 but it depends whether WA is looking for teachers in your subject. 

I'd say your best plan, at this point, is to book a one-off consultation with one of the bigger migration agents, who will have recent experience of things like the points required for teachers, the recent success rate, whether it's better to go for the 189 or the 190 right now, etc.

5 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Hi Sophie 

I have recently been invited to apply for a 189 based on my secondary teaching qualifications with 65 points. This gives you the option of living and working anywhere in Aus, no state sponsorship. 
 It sounds like you yourself would probably have what is needed to go as the main applicant. Usually it’s a 3 year degree plus a one year PGCE with a certain number of hours supervised teaching. 
The first step in the process is gaining a successful skills assessment from AITSL. 
https://www.aitsl.edu.au/migrate-to-australia/apply-for-a-skills-assessment

As for your husband, there are many stories online of different outcomes based on whether his training would or would not be acceptable. 

It is definitely worth speaking to an agent for some advice and will probably be the best couple of hundred £ you ever spend. 

Also, WA is currently offering sponsorship to secondary teachers, not sure if that’s of interest to you or not. If so, it might be worth sending an email. 
https://www.education.wa.edu.au/international-qualified-teachers

All the best. 

Thank you so much both for your help! & congratulations on your invite to apply, that’s great news.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sophie3527 said:

Thank you so much both for your help! & congratulations on your invite to apply, that’s great news.

I should have said that if your husband is the secondary applicant, then it won't matter whether his teaching qualification is acceptable, because you're the main applicant so it's your  qualifications that count.  Therefore it's just a question of whether he'll be allowed to teach once he gets here, which can be answered by the Registration Board.

• Like 3

On 13/06/2023 at 08:40, Marisawright said:

I should have said that if your husband is the secondary applicant, then it won't matter whether his teaching qualification is acceptable, because you're the main applicant so it's your  qualifications that count.  Therefore it's just a question of whether he'll be allowed to teach once he gets here, which can be answered by the Registration Board.

I was thinking the same. Even if he isn't allowed to teach on arrival, maybe WA have a process whereby he can meet the registration requirements through some additional training and get in via the back door, so to speak. The OP doesn't mention whether her husband is a graduate or not, but one assumes that he is.

Hi Sophie

Come across on your qualification to WA, and work it from there. TRBWA are being more flexible (we have asked for this) and to consider 3 year trained teachers. It sounds like your husband has the experience. The ironic thing is there is Australian teachers here with a 3 year degree, they just changed the rules some years ago. I'm not sure if every state is being flexible like this but I'd suggest the 189 visa. 190 visa I'm led to believe at the moment requires you to have a contract prior to arrival, schools aren't comfortable with this idea as you have no work or living rights at this stage to live in the country. I actively recruit Poms for my school so feel free to ask any other questions.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

I was thinking the same. Even if he isn't allowed to teach on arrival, maybe WA have a process whereby he can meet the registration requirements through some additional training and get in via the back door, so to speak. The OP doesn't mention whether her husband is a graduate or not, but one assumes that he is.

17 hours ago, benj1980 said:

Hi Sophie

Come across on your qualification to WA, and work it from there. TRBWA are being more flexible (we have asked for this) and to consider 3 year trained teachers. It sounds like your husband has the experience. The ironic thing is there is Australian teachers here with a 3 year degree, they just changed the rules some years ago. I'm not sure if every state is being flexible like this but I'd suggest the 189 visa. 190 visa I'm led to believe at the moment requires you to have a contract prior to arrival, schools aren't comfortable with this idea as you have no work or living rights at this stage to live in the country. I actively recruit Poms for my school so feel free to ask any other questions.

Thank you very much for the advice! This is all really helpful to know and reassures us as we were thinking he might have to re-train completely.

189 sounds like the best option, thank you - I teach languages which I think I read as being one of the shortage/high demand subjects in WA. This may be a really silly question but once your visa is granted, how long do you have to move over? Do you have to enter Australia permanently by a certain date or is it left ‘open’?

• Like 1

@sophie3527 I think you have a year to arrive from when your first medical is done, but hopefully someone else with a bit more knowledge about visas will clarify that.

There's a teacher shortage throughout Australia at the moment, but the thing to bear in mind is that most schools only teach one language and unless you live in Victoria, it isn't going to be a European one (please see below). However, if Italian is one of your languages then you might be in luck in WA.

File:Top 3 languages taught in Australia schools by state or territory.png  - Wikimedia Commons

7 hours ago, sophie3527 said:

189 sounds like the best option, thank you - I teach languages which I think I read as being one of the shortage/high demand subjects in WA. This may be a really silly question but once your visa is granted, how long do you have to move over? Do you have to enter Australia permanently by a certain date or is it left ‘open’?

I'm sure you know that it will depend on what languages you teach.  You've got to have the specific languages they're looking for.  

Once your visa is granted, there will be an "arrive by" date on your visa.  You must all arrive in Australia before that date, to activate your visas -- however it can just be for a holiday.  Once that's done, you have almost 5 years to make the final move. 

5 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

@sophie3527 I think you have a year to arrive from when your first medical is done, but hopefully someone else with a bit more knowledge about visas will clarify that.

There's a teacher shortage throughout Australia at the moment, but the thing to bear in mind is that most schools only teach one language and unless you live in Victoria, it isn't going to be a European one (please see below). However, if Italian is one of your languages then you might be in luck in WA.

File:Top 3 languages taught in Australia schools by state or territory.png  - Wikimedia Commons

Thank you! Yes I have a degree in French and Italian, so can teach either/both of these along with Spanish which I teach in the UK too 😊 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Once your visa is granted, there will be an "arrive by" date on your visa.  You must all arrive in Australia before that date, to activate your visas -- however it can just be for a holiday.  Once that's done, you have almost 5 years to make the final move. 

Thank you that’s really useful to know! 

• Like 1

EDIT - SOMEONE ELSE DID SAY THE SAME, IGNORE!

Hi Sophie -

Apologies if this has been answered (haven't bothered to read through the replies) but WA are offering good packages at the moment to recruit secondary teachers: Overseas qualified teachers - Department of Education

I think there is some flexibility re: qualifications but no movement on experience!

Best of luck!

Edited by SalT500

23 hours ago, SalT500 said:

EDIT - SOMEONE ELSE DID SAY THE SAME, IGNORE!

Hi Sophie -

Apologies if this has been answered (haven't bothered to read through the replies) but WA are offering good packages at the moment to recruit secondary teachers: Overseas qualified teachers - Department of Education

I think there is some flexibility re: qualifications but no movement on experience!

Best of luck!

That sounds like an great incentive, until you read the small print...

Qualified secondary teachers with a minimum of two years’ teaching experience may be eligible to receive temporary visa sponsorship, for up to four years on a temporary work visa. We will fully fund visa application and nomination costs, including any qualifications assessment you require. We can also support you to progress through to a permanent sponsored visa, after working in our public schools.

Note that depending on the visa sponsorship requirements you may be restricted to working in the same role and location for the period of your sponsorship (up to 4 years).

WA is a huge, sparsely populated state, so the likelihood is that you'll spend 4 years in some hellish place with no option to leave because your visa will be tied to your job. If you're up for a real adventure and you're very resilient it's worth considering, but given the current teacher shortage I'd have thought the usual pathway to obtaining a visa is preferable.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2023 at 23:40, Marisawright said:

I'm in the same situation here. I did originally apply via the pool and they checked all my documents (as I was taught on a SCITT) and they said yes. We have applied for a 189 under my wife as main applicant. Medicals on Wednesday! 

• Like 1

On 15/06/2023 at 00:02, benj1980 said:

Hi Sophie

190 does not require contract before arrival! 

39 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

190 does not require contract before arrival! 

The feedback from people trying to move to WA is that you do. Some other states don't require this. This is why it is so frustrating. Where are you moving @Cheery Thistle?

23 hours ago, benj1980 said:

The feedback from people trying to move to WA is that you do. Some other states don't require this. This is why it is so frustrating. Where are you moving @Cheery Thistle?

I have a 189 invite but submitted EOI for 190 for SA and NSW at the same time and did not require a contract. Hoping to go to QLD. So a contract is not a condition of the 190 for all states. Odd for WA to apply that condition as the are apparently in desperate need to teachers. But not much makes sense in this process! 

• Like 1

I have queried this at the highest levels and they have recognised that this could become a blocker for the 190 visa. They have decided to drop the requirement of requiring a contract. I can't say it's because of my contact but I have it in writing that a contract is no longer a requirement.

We are also currently working to engage international teachers through the WA State Nominated Migration Program, which you refer to in your email. I am pleased to let you know that the Skilled nominated visa 190 no longer has a requirement for an employment contract. 

• Like 2