PR query

Sam77

Hi,

My PR Subclass 100 expires soon. I've lived in Australia for the entire time and will be here at the time of expiry. Will they automatically renew as I've met all the requirements to stay on? If i get another 5 years will I have to still apply for a travel facility and do I need to do this before or after the 5 year expiry date?

Thanks,

Sam

Your PR doesn't expire. If you want to leave the country e.g. for a holiday you will need to apply for a Resident Return Visa as your travel facility will have expired. As you have been living here entirely during your travel facility period, you won't have any problems applying for a RRV. Have you considered applying for citizenship?

Edited by JMcKie
grammar

2 hours ago, Sam77 said:

Hi,

My PR Subclass 100 expires soon. I've lived in Australia for the entire time and will be here at the time of expiry. Will they automatically renew as I've met all the requirements to stay on? If i get another 5 years will I have to still apply for a travel facility and do I need to do this before or after the 5 year expiry date?

Why do you think it expires?   I think you're misreading it.  It's only the "travel facility" that expires, not the visa.   You just need to renew the travel facility, which you do by applying for a RRV (Resident Return Visa).  That will give you another five years' travel rights.  

You'll need to keep applying for a RRV every five years from now on, unless you get citizenship. 

Be aware that if you leave Australia for any reason (even a holiday) without holding a RRV, you won't be allowed back into Australia, even though your home is here. So it's important to make sure you keep it current, unless you're planning never to travel again!

9 hours ago, JMcKie said:

Your PR doesn't expire. If you want to leave the country e.g. for a holiday you will need to apply for a Resident Return Visa as your travel facility will have expired. As you have been living here entirely during your travel facility period, you won't have any problems applying for a RRV. Have you considered applying for citizenship?

Thanks,

If I apply for citizenship I'll still need to apply for a RRV additionally if I go on holiday outside of Australia before being granted citizenship?

12 hours ago, Sam77 said:

Thanks,

If I apply for citizenship I'll still need to apply for a RRV additionally if I go on holiday outside of Australia before being granted citizenship?

Just to state the obvious, you don't need the RRV to leave Australia but you'll need it to return. It's $425 (my wife got one last year), which is almost as much as the citizenship application fee. Depending on your circumstances you might want to consider an overseas trip before the 5-year expiry date on your initial visa, and then just waiting until you're a citizen before you go away again.

6 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

Just to state the obvious, you don't need the RRV to leave Australia but you'll need it to return.

Just to state the obvious, that DOESN'T mean you can leave Australia and then just apply for the RRV when you're ready to come back!   You must have the RRV before you leave.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Just to state the obvious, that DOESN'T mean you can leave Australia and then just apply for the RRV when you're ready to come back!   You must have the RRV before you leave.  

Actually you can and it’s fairly risk free if you still meet the 2 in 5 years criterion, but it’s not recommended and will reset your citizenship eligibility date back by a year. 

• Like 2

On 20/05/2023 at 11:05, Marisawright said:

Why do you think it expires?   I think you're misreading it.  It's only the "travel facility" that expires, not the visa.   You just need to renew the travel facility, which you do by applying for a RRV (Resident Return Visa).  That will give you another five years' travel rights.  

You'll need to keep applying for a RRV every five years from now on, unless you get citizenship. 

Be aware that if you leave Australia for any reason (even a holiday) without holding a RRV, you won't be allowed back into Australia, even though your home is here. So it's important to make sure you keep it current, unless you're planning never to travel again!

It doesn't say that at all (at least when I got mine) It says "Visa Cease Date: dd mmmm yyyy" which clearly gives the impression that it expires; it's only later in the letter it says "This visa allows you to remain in Australia indefinitely, and to leave and re-enter Australia five (5) years from the date of grant. Following this period, you may choose to apply for Australian Citizenship or a Resident Return visa." 

I've also had to fill in many forms (including governmental) which ask for the Visa expiry date

• Like 1

6 hours ago, welljock said:

It doesn't say that at all (at least when I got mine) It says "Visa Cease Date: dd mmmm yyyy" which clearly gives the impression that it expires; it's only later in the letter it says "This visa allows you to remain in Australia indefinitely, and to leave and re-enter Australia five (5) years from the date of grant. Following this period, you may choose to apply for Australian Citizenship or a Resident Return visa." 

I've also had to fill in many forms (including governmental) which ask for the Visa expiry date

It’s badly worded. The visa does expire if you are offshore after the “expiry” or “must not arrive after” date. It’s only valid indefinitely if you remain in Australia. Once you are past this date, if you want to travel offshore, you need to apply for an RRV, which is a new permanent visa (not just a ‘travel facility’ for your existing visa). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, paulhand said:

It’s badly worded. The visa does expire if you are offshore after the “expiry” or “must not arrive after” date. It’s only valid indefinitely if you remain in Australia. Once you are past this date, if you want to travel offshore, you need to apply for an RRV, which is a new permanent visa (not just a ‘travel facility’ for your existing visa). 

Thanks, that's something I never knew. I thought it was just was a travel facility, probably like many others do. It's very poorly worded; something like PR visa extension would make a lot more sense - no one can be in any doubt what that means.

• Like 1